HIIT vs. "moderate-intensity cardio"

Options
1)

Recently I heard from someone who seems to know what they are talking about that, if done right, 20 minutes of HIIT (High-intensity interval training) would be the equivalent of 2.5 hours of walking.

Thoughts?

2)

What do you you set your treadmill for "moderate-intensity cardio", defined as "where you can talk while exercising, but you couldn't sing" (this is the 2.5 hours per week suggested by my fitness center at work).

Thanks!!

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    In a 45 minute session of crossfit I burn about 400 cals or so...
    which is pretty high intensity

For the treadmill that depends how your fitness is. some people run at 5mph and some can run at 8mph
  • Katemarie34
    Katemarie34 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Id like too know as well :-)
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I alternate both. Typically do 3x a week weights, 4-5x a week cardio.

3 of those cardio days are usually 3mile runs "steady state" cardio and 2 of those are HIIT on the elliptical.

I've read that it is detrimental to do HIIT everyday (and it is HARD to do it everyday if you do it right).

HIIT allegedly continues to burn calories after you are done due to the oxygen output or something sciency like that.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    During HIIT, I burn 10cals/min by 20 minutes. When I do a tempo run, I don't get to 10 cals/min until about 40-50 minutes in.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Who has the kind of time to walk for 2.5 hours a day? Well... maybe stay at home or work from home people. but... geez that's a lot lol. I haven't investigated HIIT enough to answer this question. But I'd say I guess it depends on how slow you are walking for those 2.5 hours.... if you're walking at "moderate to intense" where you can still carry on a conversation for 2.5 hours I'd say you're going to get a decent workout....
  • yeseneah
    yeseneah Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do 2 min @ incline of 15 @ speed of 4(Fast walk), 2 min @ incline of 0 ,speed @ 7(running), then 1 min @ incline 0, speed of 4(fast walk/recovery). Repeat:) You should do a speed you are comfortable at. The goal is to work on getting faster.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'll say that I think HIIT > steady state cardio. Whether 20 mins equals 2.5 hours, I have no idea. I don't log it as anything more than 20 minutes. I do know that i broke through plateaus using HIIT (even when I had been doing 5-7 mile steady stead runs on the regular) and I know that HIIT makes me more tired.

The second question: I have no idea. I don't use a treadmill. It's better to run outside if you can because treadmills don't really make your body move through space. It's different than actually running....
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Love HIIT!!! Bump!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    1)

Recently I heard from someone who seems to know what they are talking about that, if done right, 20 minutes of HIIT (High-intensity interval training) would be the equivalent of 2.5 hours of walking.

Thoughts?

2)

What do you you set your treadmill for "moderate-intensity cardio", defined as "where you can talk while exercising, but you couldn't sing" (this is the 2.5 hours per week suggested by my fitness center at work).

Thanks!!
    1) Not sure about the 2.5 hours worth of walking for 20 minutes HIIT, unless you are also taking into account the "after-burn" (much like you get with strength training) effect when your muscles repair themselves.

2) Depends on the length of the session. If I was running 3K I could do a pace of 7.5mph and be able to talk, but if it were 10K that would be more like 6.5mph.
    I typically run 3K @9-9.2, 5k @8.5-8.6 MP, this is high intensity for me.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    Also, I've heard HIIT causes an afterburn effect that stead state doesn't.

You might want to read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

A study by Gibala et al.[6] demonstrated 2.5 hours of sprint interval training produced similar biochemical muscle changes to 10.5 hours of endurance training and similar endurance performance benefits. According to a study by King,[7] HIIT increases the resting metabolic rate (RMR) for the following 24 hours due to excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, and may improve maximal oxygen consumption (VO2 max) more effectively than doing only traditional, long aerobic workouts.[8][9][10][11] Tabata's 1997 study concluded that "intermittent exercise defined by the IE1 protocol may tax both the anaerobic and aerobic energy releasing systems almost maximally."[3]

High-intensity interval training has also been shown to improve athletic performance. For already well-trained athletes, improvements in performance become difficult to attain and increases in training volume can potentially yield no improvements. Previous research would suggest that, for athletes who are already trained, improvements in endurance performance can be achieved through high-intensity interval training. A recent study by Driller[12] showed an 8.2 second improvement in 2000m rowing time following 4 weeks of HIIT in well-trained rowers. This equates to a significant 2% improvement after just 7 interval training sessions. The interval training used by Driller and colleagues involved 8 x 2.5 minute work bouts at 90% of vVO2max, with individualized recovery intervals between each work bout.

[edit] Metabolic benefits

Long aerobic workouts have been promoted as the best method to reduce fat, as fatty acid utilization usually occurs after at least 30 minutes of training.[citation needed] HIIT is somewhat counterintuitive in this regard, but has nonetheless been shown to burn fat more effectively.[13][5] There may be a number of factors that contribute to this, including an increase in resting metabolic rate. HIIT also significantly lowers insulin resistance and causes skeletal muscle adaptations that result in enhanced skeletal muscle fat oxidation and improved glucose tolerance.[13]

Recently it has been shown that two weeks of HIIT can substantially improve insulin action in young healthy men.[14] Similarly, in young women, HIIT three times per week for 15 weeks compared to the same frequency of SSE exercise was associated with significant reductions in total body fat, subcutaneous leg and trunk fat, and insulin resistance.[15] HIIT may therefore represent a viable method for prevention of type-2 diabetes.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    The idea is that HIIT gets your metabolic rate up for an extended period and outside of the exercise window.......I have not seen any definitive evidence comparing it to steady state cardio.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    all that being said, from experience I'll say HIIT > steady state cardio
    But after lifting heavy for a few months, HIIT doesn't feel as powerful and impactful as it used to.

I think a good work out regimine involves heavy lifting three times a week, HIIT for 20 mins three times a week, and a nice steady state run for at least 20 minutes on the days you don't do HIIT, with one day of rest.

I also think a week off from lifting here and there never hurt anyone.

(and the reason I would still do steady state is because it burns calories so i can eat more, and it also is the one and only thing that really seems to affect my mood. it's like anti-depressants/therapy/anti-anxiety meds all in one fun little package! Plus, I love long runs.)
  • BrittnaeG
    BrittnaeG Posts: 1
    Options
    I do the HIIT workouts in Turbo Fire (15, 20 & 25 min. options) and typically, I burn less WHILE I’m doing it than I would a normal Turbo Fire Cardio. However, I burn a lot more AFTER the fact in resting mode than I do from a typical cardio class. I do the HIIT workouts 3 days a week. I usually incorporate the HIIT workout days with my strength training days. I will do a quick HIIT then lift weights for 30-45 min to maximize my calorie / fat burn during weight lifting.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    They burn calories in different ways. For fat burning the HIIT is better in the long term because while it doesn't burn a lot of fat while you are doing it (you're mostly burning glycogen while doing high intensity training of any type), the high intensity level causes an elevated calorie burn after the exercise. You'll hear this referred to as EPOC, which is Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption, when the body is bringing itself back to homeostasis after exercise. The higher the intensity of exercise, the longer the EPOC curve and therefore, the more calories you burn after exercise. The same thing happens from heavy weight training. While you are in your normal resting mode, the body is pulling a higher percentage of calories burned from fat. The increase in EPOC means that when those extra calories are burned there is a higher percentage of them from fat. Steady state moderate intensity cardio pulls a much higher percentage of the calories burned from fat at the time, but at lower intensity you aren't burning as many calories and, therefore, may or may not be burning as many fat calories as you would in EPOC from a higher intensity workout. That being said, if you are talking about cardiorespiratory endurance, the steady state cardio is better because it trains those systems for longer duration. Personally, I think we should all do a mix of multiple types of training so that we can get the benefits to all of the various body systems, as well as the fat loss, muscle maintenance or growth, bone strengthening, etc. so I would recommend you add a HIIT day each week to your training and continue with your steady state cardio. And while you're at it, add some resistance and flexibility training for a total body program.
  • forsettii
    forsettii Posts: 29
    Options
    I have been doing P90X or my version of it. Granted since I have the Pear Body type I can't do everything they are asking me to do. But I do my best at it.

Doing the CardioX portion about 44 minutes of exercise time I burn 420 - 460 calories. Yoga for 51 minutes was 587 Calories.

When I walk using the standard MFP calculation 51 minutes of walking at 3.0 mph is 331 calories.
    When I Bike using the standard MFP calculation 51 minutes of riding leisurely at 10.0 mph is 380 calories.

I am getting better but I still have to listen to my heart rate monitor. It went crazy this morning not sure why.

Not sure if you are really going to see double. But I could be wrong.
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hopefully people aren't getting their calories-burned numbers from the cardio equipment they're using. Those numbers are beyond useless. Even the numbers MFP gives you are pretty suspect.