So, what exactly is under my skin?

I didn't know where else to post this. I'm aware that fat piles up on top of muscle, and under skin. Sometimes I poke my stomach and it feels like there's something under the muscle, as if there is fat under the muscle, or if my stomach (the organ) is big. I do not know how else to explain it.
I already know how to get rid of the fat, and to shrink my stomach, but how do I shrink whatever is under the muscle? Or, is it just muscle that is still soft from lack of use?

Replies

• jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    There is visceral fat that surrounds your organs and fills up your belly. It becomes a severe health risk for obvious reasons when you have a gut full of visceral fat.
  • jg627
    Of course, if you are female, it could be something else lol. Better make sure it's not that 'something else' before you cut your calories too much.
  • Ssicaaa
    Ssicaaa Posts: 15
    There is visceral fat that surrounds your organs and fills up your belly. It becomes a severe health risk for obvious reasons when you have a gut full of visceral fat.
    Can this fat be burned/gotten rid of the same way as the fat on top of the muscle?
  • jg627
    Can this fat be burned/gotten rid of the same way as the fat on top of the muscle?
    Yup. It all goes more or less evenly.
  • Ssicaaa
    Yup. It all goes more or less evenly.
    Huh. I never knew that. Thank you for clarifying this for me. :o
  • jg627
    It's usually not going to me noticeable unless you're really overweight or you have some kind of health condition or both. You would see it as a big hard gut like a beer belly. Your profile says you're around 100 lbs. I can't imagine you would be noticing visceral fat at that weight. You might want to get the other possibility checked out.
  • Ssicaaa
    It's usually not going to me noticeable unless you're really overweight or you have some kind of health condition or both. You would see it as a big hard gut like a beer belly. Your profile says you're around 100 lbs. I can't imagine you would be noticing visceral fat at that weight. You might want to get the other possibility checked out.
    I'm sure it's the first one, because I have had my beer gut/pot belly my entire life. I am almost over weight for my height of 4'9''.