Tattoos and exercising

Options
I'm contemplating getting my first tattoo soon, but the main thing holding me back besides finances which I should be saving for school is the healing time. Would those who have been inked say that healing interferes hugely with exercise for awhile or no? I'm getting it along the side of my ribcage since there are folks who will be bound to ask, thank you in advance :flowerforyou: just looking for personal experiences if people don't mind sharing.

Replies

• mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Lots of people get tattoos and workout shortly after. Just be sure to keep it very clean. It may sting a little from sweat, but you'll be fine.
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    If it's on your ribs it may interfere. If it is under your bra band, you are going to have rubbing. Depending upon how sweaty you get, your shirt will be rubbing. One of my friends on here took around a week to heal from hers.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Just got one on my hip. I needed a LOT longer for healing than I would have predicted.

A month later, the final scabs are coming off, and I am going to need touchups because of so much ink loss.
    Across the crease of my hip was a difficult location for healing/walking/sitting/driving.

Anything that rubs on it will prolong the healing, so if your bra will be in contact with it, that is going to be difficult.
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    I always waited until it started to scab and heal more... typically 3-4 days before I started any vigourous sweating type workout. The guy who has done my ink suggested about a week time frame so that gives my skin enough time to heal. I am sure many people will exercise soon after and have no issues, only reason I waited the 3-4 days was because I have super sensitive skin and I didn't want to risk it getting infected from sweat.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I got mine between my shoulder blades one week before the Warrior Dash... I only did walking/hiking for exercise the two days immediately after, but I was back to normal running in three days. I tend to heal really fast. I never had a tattoo scab, and they're usually done peeling in a week.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you get it.. The one on my forearm took a bit because everytime I bent my arm,it hurt a little. THe one on my back and ankle weren't interfering with anything.
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    I got mine between my shoulder blades one week before the Warrior Dash... I only did walking/hiking for exercise the two days immediately after, but I was back to normal running in three days. I tend to heal really fast. I never had a tattoo scab, and they're usually done peeling in a week.

Holy crow, you're a trooper ! And no it'll be sitting probably 3 or so inches lower than a regular bra band and probably about 1.5 from a sports bra band, I plan to take it easy for a week or so anyways but thanks for the input everyone. =)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I have mine in the classic "tramp stamp" position where underwear and pants tend to rub. Mine was good to go in just a few days. No scabbing, no bleeding, nothing. Just followed directions carefully, keeping it moist with bacitracin (not triple antibiotic) at first, then switching to the CVS version of vasoline intensive care. I wasn't exercising at the time, but it didn't stop me from doing my normal teaching routine! (On my feet 4 hours a day, 2 days a week, and several more hours each day otherwise.)
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have not had problems with my three. Keep it well greased with either Aquaphor or an antibiotic ointment. Wash it with antibacterial soap immediately after working out and reapply ointment. My artist said it was okay to cover it with gauze while well greased for short periods like working out to decrease rubbing. If you allow it to dry out and scab, you will have color loss. Good luck - pick a reputable artist.
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different and location makes a huge difference. Mine is on my back, off to the side (over one of my kidneys). I required about 1 hour of healing time before it was life as usual. Maybe a little TLC in the following days but really nothing that interfered with my regular stuff.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I would personally weight until it's near enough healed. You will will near enough always be moving your waist when you exercise and the last thing you want is to irritate the scabbing. When I had my thigh tattoo done I waited just over a week until the scabbing was tough enough to cope with the movement and sweat! x
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Just got one on my hip. I needed a LOT longer for healing than I would have predicted.

A month later, the final scabs are coming off, and I am going to need touchups because of so much ink loss.
    Across the crease of my hip was a difficult location for healing/walking/sitting/driving.

Anything that rubs on it will prolong the healing, so if your bra will be in contact with it, that is going to be difficult.

I got mine on my shoulder, so no rubbing when I was exercising, because all my workout tanks/bras are racer-back, but I did have a lot of scabbing and I need touch-ups too, and it's less than a year old. Very frustrating. needless to say I'm not going back to that tattooer, I think he gave me bad advice for healing.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    your 1st tattoo on your ribs...owe..talk about pain..and tons of healing time
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    im suffering from working out after layin ink right now! lol. i just got a little bit of a touch up job and a little more color on saturday. the problem isnt with working out (unless its on a part of ur body that needs to bend and stretch alot during ur workout) the problem is with the sweat and having the tat stay wet for a prolonged period of time. i sweat like a _____ in church during my spin classes...then today not even fn thinking i decided to go into the sauna for a few minutes before i hit the shower. DUMB MOVE! wet scabby ink, NOT GOOD.
  • cindylou617
    cindylou617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a rib piece and I would recommend waiting for the scab. Also, my tattoo guy urged me to take Tylenol and Motrin for the first 24-48 due to the inflammation and the size of the piece.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    oh and PS definitly DO NOT use any petrolium based products or ointments after wards! especially if yor working out. it will trap all the moisture in and thats not good! your skin needs to breathe!!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Make sure it's covered when you go to the gym. It's an open wound and you're susceptible to a lot of gross bugs at the gym. But you can work out the next day (day of you'll be tired and sore). Shop around for tatt shops and find one who really cares to explain everything to you! :)
  • triadvocate
    triadvocate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have four tats and train 6 days a week. the only thing you really need to do is stay out of sauna's , hot tubs, and pools for a few weeks ( 2-3 weeks is what my tatoo artist says but I think others might say something different.)
    LOVE MY INK!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I've worked out the next day. Just slap on some A&D, wrap it up in plastic wrap (or not if there will be no clothing rubbing against it) and wash well afterwards.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Dont use A&D. LOL Your ink is not BUTT. Use Cure'l Advanced healing lotion. and yeah...you can work out the next day. Cover it up to ensure the sterility of the environment. You DONT want it to get infected.