ugh!

Options
i feel like i can not lose weight...like its not possible...i am always hungry lol and that doesn't help at all. i have some serious control issues...meaning i have none. once i start eating i can't stop having seconds or having just a "couple" more...

anyone have any of the same issues or pointer...i am seriously tired of being fat..my pants that fit a few months ago are tight as hell. i need a change!!!!!

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I'm so with you hun. I had some serious control issues, but I'm getting better... I think it took loosing some weight and then gaining more back to really kick my butt in gear. I can tell you right now I'm totally fighting the urge to eat about 5 devil food cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and chopped pecans I made for my husband's birthday.. but to take my mind off of it I did the dishes from his birthday supper, got a glass of water and came straight here!! Also I really think that as each day you eat smaller portions and basically less and less your stomach gets smaller and in turn holds less so you get fuller faster. I used to always be hungry, but I think that's because I was ALWAYS eating. Good luck and if you need anything I'm here!!
  • Jennifer18
    Options
    today is my birthday lol..so of course i had a piece of cake my mom made..but then last week was my brothers and aunts birthday..its like never ending :/ but its so difficult..especially since im always on the go its like fast food is my only choice and i know its so bad for you. i wish could just melt off like 60 pounds in a week lol. thatd be great
  • bilimina
    Options
    Hey Happy Birthday! I don't know if this will help but make sure you're getting enough water. I know it sounds lame and over rated but its true. If you don't like water theres always different things you can add in like lemon or lime and so on.. Also protein is a huge element in staying fuller longer. There's even protein powder you could supplement into your diet. Beans and soy are way up there in protein too. I really hope this helps!
  • Jennifer18
    Options
    ya know i didn't even think of water...and now that i do I realize i really haven't been drinking alot of water...or of anything really...that protein powder sounds like a good idea though!
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday! :flowerforyou:

So tomorrow is a new day and make it just that. Think of it as a birthday gift to yourself! Who's in control, you or the food? YOU! It's up to you to make smart and sensible decisions when it comes to eating and what exactly you're eating. It needs to be lots of lean protein, good fats, and carbs when you're working out. I promise it gets easier. I struggled my first week constantly thinking about food, but you know what... the healthy foods kept me feeling full longer and gave me strength for my workouts. I'm just start my 3rd week and I'm already down 8lbs, you can do this too. I promise!!
  • anglbebe
    anglbebe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My humble advice. Drown it with water. Feel hungry. Water with lemon. Alot of times its actually thirst, not hunger you feel. And I notice its not "control" its actually boredom that makes some people, myself included, eat. Gotta make snacking a hassle. Like god I don't want to go up 3 flights of stairs to get a cookie, danged it I just brushed my teeth extra well, cant get em dirty. Hope it helps.
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday.

At the end of October we have 3 birthdays in 5 days. All of us live in the same house.
    The adults decided to forgo the cake -- just let my son have his.
    B
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Jennifer,
    Happy Birthday. On my birthday last April, I had to renew my driver's license a few days before, and that picture was HORRIBLE. I looked at it a few days after my birthday and was thinking about spring, Easter, new beginnings, and a male friend who managed to lose 16 lbs. in 8 weeks just by using Smart Ones entrees for lunch and dinner. I am not suggesting this is a particularly well balanced solution to weight loss, but the point is, he tried something and it worked for him,

I knew I HAD to make a change. I weighed more than I ever had in my whole life--looked awful, felt awful. Something had to change. I had to change. I decided the best birthday present I could give myself for NEXT year is to lose 100 lbs. My ultimate goal was to lose 120 lbs, basically half of myself!!:noway:

I read that people who log their food consumption and exercise are more successful at weight loss, and the people who banish the word DIET from their vocabulary and make a LIFESTYLE CHANGE are more likely to lose and KEEP weight off permanently. With those points in mind I found MFP, and my ticker tells the tale. I may not hit the timetable I have set for myself, but as long as I keep at it, the scale will continue to move in the right direction.

You CAN do this. Your mind can be your greatest ALLY or your biggest stumbling block. It all depends on how you approach things. Starving yourself, doing extreme eating programs may get you faster result, but as soon as you begin to eat "normally" again, your body will rebel and grab on to the calories and hold on for dear life. A slow gradual loss allows your metabolism to behave like a thin person, and eventually YOU WILL BE that THIN person!!

Below I am reprinting my 10 Commandments of Weight Loss that I originally posted in June on this site:

"After fighting the battle from the time I was about 11 years old, I have learned a few things that I would like to share, so here are my 10 Commandments of PERMANENT Weight Loss:

1. "Normal" is what you make it. So I have changed my "normal" diet to one that does allow me to have things I like, but in moderation. I LIKE breads, and pasta. Thus, although I lost on a low carb program, Adkins is not comfortable for me, long term, so when I went off of it, I gained.

2. Veggies are your friend. In addition to the nutrients they provide, and "good carbs," they are very filling. They can help you reduce your calories and not feel you are starving to death.

3. You can EAT ANYTHING you want, if you P L A N for it, calorie-wise. When I have a special occasion or a dinner out where I know I will be exposed to things I like but don't have everyday, I don't have to deprive myself, because I can go into the MFP database ahead of time, figure out the caloric "cost" of different things and plan how to order. Many restaurants have nutritional information on their websites, which is also helpful for this purpose.

4. People who severely limit their calories will lose, BUT as soon as they try to eat any additional, they will gain very easily. This is because the body becomes too "efficient" by slowing the metabolism to get by with less. The way around this that has worked well for me is "Zig zag calories." You can google it and get all kinds of info, but simply put, you eat MORE on a given day, on a regular basis. For me, every 3 -4 weeks, I will do a day where I might have 2000-2200 calories on a given day. This is different from the other days, where I have 1200-1400 per day.

This WORKS. I lost 20 lbs. in 9 weeks. I have NOT been hungry. I am not feeling deprived. I have foods in my kitchen that would normally send me in to "binge" mode, but they don't bother me now, because I know I can have them, as long as I take into account what else I will be able to eat that day.

5. EXERCISE matters!! I haven't started strength training yet, for reasons of time and practicality, BUT, I am the queen of walking. I average 20-28 miles a week. It is free, can be done by most anyone, barring physical limitations, and if you get yourself a cheap MP3 player (it doesn't HAVE to be a spendy IPOD) load some fast tunes on it, you will be surprised how quickly the time flies.

If you are trying to lose and you are only doing strength training, you are going to be disappointed with the results in terms of pounds lost, but you will likely firm up, build muscle (helps boost your metabolism) and be more toned, so include some cardio for a complete program of exercise.

6. Be responsible for what you put in your mouth. I have heard, and used all the excuses. "It was there" "I was hungry" "My boyfriend made me go to the pizza parlor" or to "Baskin & Robbins." (ice cream chain for those that are not familiar w/the name) That last statement may be true, but he didn't hold a gun to your head and FORCE you to eat 5 slices of pizza instead of having one slice and a salad!! :noway: and no one threatened you into having a 3 scoop banana split instead of a child size dish of your favorite flavor.

7. People who log their foods lose more weight than those who don't . Thank goodness for MFP!!! People who have a support system, whether family, friends, or online --such as right here-MFP!! are more likely to be successful over the long term than those who don't.

8. People who make permanent changes in the way they deal with food and how and what they eat will lose, maybe not as fast as on a crash diet, but they are much more likely to lose PERMANENTLY!!

9. Be sure to eat enough PROTEIN, and GOOD FATS (Nuts, Avocados, Fish oil/ Omega 3's). The protein will keep your body from consuming muscle to survive, and the fats will help you feel satisfied and avoid the "hungries."

10. Don't use a screw up as an excuse for "falling off the wagon" for the entire day, or week, or month. "I ate a bunch of cookies, so that makes me a failure, therefore, l will eat an entire pizza!!" "Hey while I am at it, lets get a burger a fries and a milkshake for lunch tomorrow!!"

And on a related note, remember "FOOD is intended as FUEL." --NOT a source of comfort. Think of it in those terms, and find other ways to satisfy your emotional needs and you will succeed in the long run.

Good luck everyone.:flowerforyou: If even one idea in the above helps you, it has served its purpose.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    hmm i know what u mean. today i had one of those days where i always felt hungry. i dunno why. but just take it one day at a time and set little goals for yourself.
    Also, take the time to plan ur meals and pack ur lunch and healthy snacks...thats the BEST advice - PLAN PLAN PLAN

that way u can never say u have no choice but to get fast food. in fact,
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    oops...in face when i know i will be tempted i leave my money at home and take only my ID and emergency cash. that way i know i won't spend it on junk