Training for a Half Marathon

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Well, the time has come for me to start upping my milage. My housemate is going to begin a training program for a half marathon, and I'm going along for the ride. Considering I'm still winded after a 5k, I'm slightly nervous. But that's overshadowed by the excitement. We're going to be starting next week - I'm on call this week, so I can't dedicate the time to running i normally can.

Any advice on the training? The program he's using takes 9 or 10 weeks to complete. I'll see if I can get a link.

Replies

• Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm almost done training for my first 1/2 marathon and debating on moving to a full marathon for February. There are many programs on the web. I find the simpler ones are a lot easier to follow. I'm not going for speed, just to make sure I finish. My race is in 3 weeks and I'm up to 12 miles this weekend. So far, amazingly, this is working pretty well. I'm doing 5-6 miles 3 times a week and then the long run on the weekend, upping it by a mile each week. Good luck!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Xannthippe
    Options
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When I went from 5-6 miles up to the 1/2 marathon distance this year. I would increase my milege every week, but I would never let my heart rate get over the 80% of my max heart rate. (your speed will be slow) This helps so that you can build up your base to the 13 miles. Then once you have built your base, you can incorporate speed workouts to increase your speed. If this is your first one, your goal should be to just finish. You can do it. Remember to do lots of stretching, & I also recommend a 10 minute ice bath after a long run. (fill tub with cold water & sit in it). This really helps your legs recover.
    Good luck.
  • Xannthippe
    Options
    When I went from 5-6 miles up to the 1/2 marathon distance this year. I would increase my milege every week, but I would never let my heart rate get over the 80% of my max heart rate. (your speed will be slow) This helps so that you can build up your base to the 13 miles. Then once you have built your base, you can incorporate speed workouts to increase your speed. If this is your first one, your goal should be to just finish. You can do it. Remember to do lots of stretching, & I also recommend a 10 minute ice bath after a long run. (fill tub with cold water & sit in it). This really helps your legs recover.
    Good luck.

Ice bath, eh? Brrrrr!!!:noway:
    Unfortunately, I've heard it works though! :tongue:
  • msarro
    Options
    Excellent, thank you!
    All of the plans I've found so far incorporate tempo runs, speed work, etc. My goal is mostly just to finish right now... similar to when I started a 5k. As a byproduct I figure it'll let me finish 5k's without feeling quite so much like death.

How did the training go? Like I said, right now I usually run 3.1 miles 3-4 times a week. Even the 4 mile run sounds like it may be a little trying (especially since my LSD speed is VERY slow). However my housemate tends to be extremely understanding, so we'll see how it all goes.
  • Xannthippe
    Options
    I totally understand the phrase "VERY SLOW"...hahaha, me too!

The training has gone well. That 3 miles you've got going sounds like a good starting point. That's where I started too.

These programs seem to keep your regular runs short and then push the distance on the long, slow run at the end of the week. It has been hard and still is each weekend, but I've always made it without stopping. I can't run the very next day, but I figure a rest day is probably needed anyway! LOL. And to be honest, I haven't really incorporated any of the tempo or speed work runs into my training. I'm like you, I just want to make sure I finish. :wink:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Good luck.

Ice bath :sick: for a guy??? :noway: The ice is a good idea, but try ice bags and leave the boys out of it.... :laugh:
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    Excellent, thank you!
    All of the plans I've found so far incorporate tempo runs, speed work, etc. My goal is mostly just to finish right now... similar to when I started a 5k. As a byproduct I figure it'll let me finish 5k's without feeling quite so much like death.

How did the training go? Like I said, right now I usually run 3.1 miles 3-4 times a week. Even the 4 mile run sounds like it may be a little trying (especially since my LSD speed is VERY slow). However my housemate tends to be extremely understanding, so we'll see how it all goes.

Hey man, when I trained for mine, I took the schedule from runnersworld.com and used the days. As for the tempo runs and other types, I didn't do them. Focus on your distance, slow your longer runs down. It's more important just to get used to being on your legs for a long time then to worry about the speed. As you feel more comfortable at your long run pace, use some shorter runs to pick up the speed. I mixed some speed work in later in the training and it paid off, but like previously said, focus on just finishing this one first.
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Right now, I am doing 5K 3 times a week...I would eventually like to work my way up to a half marathon or whole marathon. :noway:

Count me in! :flowerforyou: Jessi
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am running my first 1/2 on Thanksgiving (Canadian - in 2 weeks). I did my training with a running store here in Canada, you can do the training online with them also. It was a 16 week program...my last run was 20k, now I am tapering for the next week or so.
    I skipped the tempo and speed drills, but I am glad I did the hill training. The training on hills prepares you for when the mileage is high and the routes are hilly...they make you stronger. So I would do the hills, imho.
    A.
    Good Luck!!
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    I am running my first 1/2 on Thanksgiving (Canadian - in 2 weeks). I did my training with a running store here in Canada, you can do the training online with them also. It was a 16 week program...my last run was 20k, now I am tapering for the next week or so.
    I skipped the tempo and speed drills, but I am glad I did the hill training. The training on hills prepares you for when the mileage is high and the routes are hilly...they make you stronger. So I would do the hills, imho.
    A.
    Good Luck!!

OMG I forgot about the hills. Great point. MSarro, you live in Allentown, right? Great hills for running, maybe over in Bethlehem. It makes a he!! of a difference when those little hills come up during a half or full to know you have the conditioning to fly right up them.
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This is a great motivator for me and now I'd like to start training as well. I've always wanted to, but I don't have the courage (even though I can usually run fairly long distances) I wish my bf would run with me, but I hate running with me because he goes too fast for me and I run to run at my own pace.

:grumble:
  • msarro
    Options
    A.
    Good Luck!!

OMG I forgot about the hills. Great point. MSarro, you live in Allentown, right? Great hills for running, maybe over in Bethlehem. It makes a he!! of a difference when those little hills come up during a half or full to know you have the conditioning to fly right up them.

I live in Bethlehem, actually. There is no such thing as a "flat" run here :laugh:
    It actually works out pretty nicely! When we went to the recent 5k at the LV zoo, half the run was up a mountain. By the time I reached the half-way mark, I was near the front of the pack because of how few people could handle the climb.
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    A.
    Good Luck!!

I live in Bethlehem, actually. There is no such thing as a "flat" run here :laugh:
    It actually works out pretty nicely!

I used to live in Philly, now I'm in the mountains in central PA. Talk about no flat runs :laugh: Train on the hills and the half will be easy for you.
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yay! Yay! Yay! So proud of you! We went through alot together this year and I know you have come so far! You are going to kick *kitten* at this! Totally believe in yourself-stick to the schedule and take care of yourself! Keep us updated!
  • JessiJean
    Options
    Yay! I'm almost done training for my first 1/2 marathon and debating on moving to a full marathon for February. There are many programs on the web. I find the simpler ones are a lot easier to follow. I'm not going for speed, just to make sure I finish. My race is in 3 weeks and I'm up to 12 miles this weekend. So far, amazingly, this is working pretty well. I'm doing 5-6 miles 3 times a week and then the long run on the weekend, upping it by a mile each week. Good luck!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I plan to run 3 miles at lunch today...I am going to follow your advise for doing 1 long run on the weekend. I will see how far I can make it on my long run this weekend :tongue:

:flowerforyou: Jessi
  • Xannthippe
    Options
    I plan to run 3 miles at lunch today...I am going to follow your advise for doing 1 long run on the weekend. I will see how far I can make it on my long run this weekend :tongue:

Great! :flowerforyou: I'm no expert, just remember not to add too much mileage at a time. I think they recommend not more than 10% to your total weekly mileage. So if you are doing three 5K's a week, maybe try 4 or 5 miles this weekend? And remember, it's OK to go SLOW, with the goal being to finish, not break any speed records. At least, not yet! Good luck!!!:flowerforyou:
  • JessiJean
    Options

Great! :flowerforyou: I'm no expert, just remember not to add too much mileage at a time. I think they recommend not more than 10% to your total weekly mileage. So if you are doing three 5K's a week, maybe try 4 or 5 miles this weekend? And remember, it's OK to go SLOW, with the goal being to finish, not break any speed records. At least, not yet! Good luck!!!:flowerforyou:

Thanks!!! I only ran 2 miles today because I started getting nauseous :sick: I think I will try for 3 again Friday

Jessi
  • shellybelly83
    Options
    Hal Higdon has great running training programs from 5k to full marathon. www.halhigdon.com
  • JessiJean
    Options
    Hal Higdon has great running training programs from 5k to full marathon. www.halhigdon.com

I have been TRYING to use Hal Higdon's 10K program...I can't get past week 1 though :tongue: