When/How to have your post workout shake?

Options
For all of those having post (weight-lifting) work out shakes... how do you do it?

I typically go to the gym after work. Then I pick up my son from daycare and get home and start dinner. From the time I'm done my workout till the time I get home and in the door it's about 20mins. Then, I'd have to make a shake?

How long after your workout is too long to wait? I've assumed it's pretty much supposed to be immediately after. So how do you do it?
Should I be making it in the morning and bringing it with me to the work/gym? Should I be mixing a whey protein powder with water at the gym and drinking on the way home? (that doesn't sound appetizing to me.. I'd like to at least have flavored soy milk with it).
Any advice/tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Unless your an athlete in training and working the nutrient timing card for the slight edge it perhaps may give I wouldn't woory about the when. It's mostly about your 24 hour nutrition, hit your numbers and you'll be fine, don't stress about it.
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    20 mins is fine as long as its not much longer than that. My research has suggested that you need to eat within a couple of hours after your shake too. Plenty of protein :)

I usually stretch and have a shake about 15 mins after working out. I workout at home at the minute though so its easy for me to grab one whenever :)

If you don't wanna wait until you get home, then take one with you or ask if they sell them at your gym. Mine used too.
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    20 mins is fine as long as its not much longer than that. My research has suggested that you need to eat within a couple of hours after your shake too. Plenty of protein :)

I usually stretch and have a shake about 15 mins after working out. I workout at home at the minute though so its easy for me to grab one whenever :)

If you don't wanna wait until you get home, then take one with you or ask if they sell them at your gym. Mine used too.

Thanks for your help. I'll try and get home as quick as I can.. but if I'm finding it's taking me longer than 20 I'll either bring the powder to the gym with me and mix with water or buy one.
    Thanks a bunch!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally it doesn't make a huge difference. Old school thought is the sooner the better, but any benefit is, at best, an issue of diminishing returns.

Personally, shakes after workouts is much more psychological than physical. Having one right away keeps my cravings to a minimum and prevents me from getting so hungry that I eat the entire house.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    lol
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    lol

Hopefully you're just laughing at his reference to eating the entire house....

I've been educating myself and one of the books I've read is 'the new rules of weight lifting for women' and I am beginning the training on Monday. I would like to provide my muscles with the materials they need to repair after heavy lifting.
    I do believe my diet is quite low in protein right now (15%/d and should be closer to 30 to maintain a 40/30/30 diet) and since I find my strength reduced since restarting my low cal diet I'm going to take a different approach of eating more and lifting more. More muscles burn more calories, and to build muscle you need protein.
    Laugh if you want, but to each their own. I don't feel a low cal diet is the healthiest thing for me right now.