Black Girls Run~ Atlanta

Options
Are there any ladies that partake in this? We currently live in NC but my husband and I are going to be buying us a house soon in Atlanta. I would love to talk with some of you and get more details about it! I think this is an awesome opportunity to stay fit!

Replies

• jporche77
    jporche77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You can search facebook for the BGR-ATL group and see if anyone is on here.
  • catlady100
    catlady100 Posts: 154
    Options
    I was interested, but when I checked I didn't see any locations near where I live.
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm not a member (as is apparent by my photo...). But I do live in Atlanta and am in the local track club. BGR have an awesome presence at all of our club races. Many are in the Track club. While cheering on the marathon last fall I saw a LOT of BRG girls. They are a great local organization and have runners of all sizes an ability. I can't speak more specifically than that, but I'm very impressed by them.

I'd also suggest looking into the Atlanta Track Club. Membership is cheap ($50 for both me and the boyfriend) and you get a free race a month and guaranteed entry into the Peachtree Road Race (World's Largest 10K, wooo!). Either way, good luck in your move to the city! We have some wonderful (hilly) places to run.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm not a member (as is apparent by my photo...). But I do live in Atlanta and am in the local track club. BGR have an awesome presence at all of our club races. Many are in the Track club. While cheering on the marathon last fall I saw a LOT of BRG girls. They are a great local organization and have runners of all sizes an ability. I can't speak more specifically than that, but I'm very impressed by them.

I'd also suggest looking into the Atlanta Track Club. Membership is cheap ($50 for both me and the boyfriend) and you get a free race a month and guaranteed entry into the Peachtree Road Race (World's Largest 10K, wooo!). Either way, good luck in your move to the city! We have some wonderful (hilly) places to run.

I agree! I'm not a member of the ATC, but I've been thinking about it. I also think the BGR has a great presence in the area. Good luck with the move!!
  • goldiebrawn
    goldiebrawn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not in Atlanta, but I do events with BGR here in Baltmore. Altlanta's a major hub for the organization - there's a conference planned there in the fall! You'll find a lot of support and encouragement in BGR.
  • jporche77
    Options

Ladies Ladies! You do NOT have to be black to be part of BGR. But you do have to be a woman. BGR was actually created to help fight obesity with black woman but ALL women are welcome to come out. If I'm not mistaken the BGR in Baton Rouge has a non black leader. I am in the lovely nations capital and that was my first question I asked. It is great to have women that share your same interest.

I agree! I'm not a member of the ATC, but I've been thinking about it. I also think the BGR has a great presence in the area. Good luck with the move!!
  • jporche77
    Options
    Ladies Ladies! You do NOT have to be black to be part of BGR. But you do have to be a woman. BGR was actually created to help fight obesity with black woman but ALL women are welcome to come out. If I'm not mistaken the BGR in Baton Rouge has a non black leader. I am in the lovely nations capital and that was my first question I asked. It is great to have women that share your same interest.

• LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Thanks all you lovely ladies !
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    bump
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    Black Girls RUN/Drive to End Hunger 5K/10K Race

Event Total Price (all fees shown)
    Black Girls RUN Drive to End Hunger 10k Race
    Results $ 35.00 cost + $ 2.92 fee = $ 37.92

Closes: 09/10/2012 at 12:00AM
    Black Girls RUN /Drive to End Hunger 5k Race
    Results $ 25.00 cost + $ 2.37 fee = $ 27.37

Black Girls RUN National Conference
    Results $ 55.00 cost + $ 4.02 fee = $ 59.02

Black Girls RUN Honors Dinner
    Results $ 35.00 cost + $ 2.92 fee = $ 37.92

Date:
    09/16/2012 - 09/16/2012

Map data ©2012 Google, Sanborn - Terms of Use
    Report a map error

Map
    Satellite

Time: 7:00AM

Where:
    Centennial Olympic Park
    Centennial Olympic Park Drive Northwest
    Atlanta, GA 30313

Event Director Info:
    Ashley Hicks
    Black Girls RUN
    615 Carolina Ave
    Norfolk, VA 23508
    706-495-8632
    email address
    Black Girls RUN!/Drive to End Hunger 5K/10K
    Date: Friday, September 14 - Saturday, September 16, 2012
    Centennial Olympic Park
    Black Girls RUN! Drive to End Hunger is your chance to help tackle food insecurity in a different way. Black Girls RUN and AARP! will host the inaugural Black Girls RUN!/Drive to End Hunger 5K/10K Race Weekend in Atlanta, Georgia, September 14-16, 2012. The event will bring greater awareness to the nationwide efforts of organizations' Black Girls RUN! and AARP to fight obesity and hunger respectively.
    While food insecurity plagues the United States, our country is also waging war against the highest obesity rates our nation has ever seen. Black Girls RUN! and AARP believes that everyone deserves the right to have healthy, nutritional food available at all times. Leading up to the race, Black Girls RUN! and AARP will collect donations from participants, volunteers and the public. The organizations will work to collect 100,000 pounds of food to be donated to Hosea Feed the Hungry and Homeless in Atlanta. The Black Girls RUN!/ Drive to End Hunger 5K/10K and the entire race weekend is open to everyone. Male runners/walkers are encouraged to participate as well.
    Inaugural Black Girls RUN! National Conference
    Black Girls RUN! is not just a series of neighborhood runs, it is a national movement. Join Black Girls RUN! members in celebrating our personal and collective success. Spend three days, September 14-16 in beautiful Atlanta, Georgia connecting, learning and or course running.
    The weekend opens Friday, September 14, 2012 with a Preserve the Sexy mixer at 7:00pm. Saturday is filled with workshops and learning opportunities to provide women with tools and resources to help them live a healthy and active lifestyle. Participants can choose to take a yoga class for runners, learn the best strength training moves, explore the world of triathlons, and get the finest advice on nutrition, half & full marathon training, and of course hairfrom some of the best in the industry.
    Black Girls RUN! Celebration and Pre Race Pasta Dinner
    On Saturday, September 15, 2012, we will show our appreciation to all of the ambassadors and run leaders who volunteer their time and inspire so many women. This is the engine that makes Black Girls RUN!. We will share inspiring stories from all over the country as we prepare to tackle the Black Girls Run! Drive to End Hunger 10K the next day.
    All events take place at the beautiful Sheraton Atlanta Hotel. The Black Girls RUN! National Conference rate is just $109 (subject to taxes) and is available from September 11-19, 2012 in case you want to make it a long weekend. Room reservations are open. Click here.
    FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 14 BGR! Conference Registration Location: Sheraton Hotel Lobby Time: 5 p.m. – 10 p.m. Preserve the Sexy Mixer Location: Sheraton Hotel Time: 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. Start the weekend with nibble, gnosh and networking. Meet BGR! members from all over the country.SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 15
    BGR! Conference Registration Location: Sheraton Hotel Lobby Time: 8 a.m. – 10 a.m. Breakfast Gathering Location: Sheraton Hotel Time: 8: 00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. Learn, Run, Live series (Part I) Location: Sheraton Hotel Workshop 1: 10:00 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. Workshop 2: 11 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. Black Girls RUN! isn't solely about the number of miles you run in a week. BGR! wants to encourage you to live a healthy, long life and that starts with knowing the right information. This workshop series will address everything from nutrition to motivation, yoga to hair care. Lunch on your own Location: A list of great local restaurants will be provided Time: Noon – 2 p.m. Learn, Run, Live series (Part II) Location: Sheraton Hotel Workshop 3: 2:15 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Workshop 4: 3:15 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. For Sisters Only or Free Time Time: 4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Honors Dinner Time: 6:30 SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 16 Black Girls RUN/Drive to End Hunger 5K/10K Race Time: 7a.m.

Policies:

Packet Pickup:
    TBD
  • MyNaturalHue
    Options
    Hi Ladies Im apart of the BGR Raleigh group. I just wanted to stop in and show some love!
  • aablacknell
    aablacknell Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies. I just registered for the BGR in Atlanta, GA for September. Are there any others running the race??? I'm excited!!!
  • Delley08
    Delley08 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I will be there!!! I am very excited!!! See you there!!!
  • honey1017
    honey1017 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Im stopping by to share some love from BGR Delaware :flowerforyou:
  • GaPeachRealtor
    Options
    I'm member but not haven't par taken in an event yet... Welcome to Atlanta..