Problem finding time to exercise

Options
wellbur
wellbur Posts: 240 Member
Anyone got any ideas..... i am finding it difficult to find time to exercise, my husband works long hours and doesn;t get home much before 8, i like walking but not keen on walking on my own that late in the evening. I do go to Pilates once a week and leave the children with a neighbour but this is not enough.... Weekends are busy with the childrens activities .... HELP

Replies

• cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    gym with childcare available?
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I know it isn't what you want to hear but I too have had the same problem but for the past year have been getting up at 4:30 in the morning and doing it before anyone else gets up. It will take a WHILE but eventually your body gets used to it. I hate mornings and I am not a morning person but it was the ONLY time. You can't FIND time, you have to MAKE time. I am zapped at the end of the day and too much unexpected stuff would pop up that would trump the night workouts. It is like everything else, It takes alot of discipline but your body WILL eventually get used to it and you won't ever regret doing it once you have done it. You will regret hitting the snooze and going back to sleep.
  • E024431
    E024431 Posts: 6
    Options
    Kettlebell workouts right in your own living room. 28 min start to finish with Jillian Michaels DVD.
  • LilGiselle21
    LilGiselle21 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    How many kids do you have I workout at home sometimes during nap time opsometimes not and the kids join. I also take my double stroller and put my 4 yo and 2 yo and walk 2.5 miles when possible.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Anyone got any ideas..... i am finding it difficult to find time to exercise, my husband works long hours and doesn;t get home much before 8, i like walking but not keen on walking on my own that late in the evening. I do go to Pilates once a week and leave the children with a neighbour but this is not enough.... Weekends are busy with the childrens activities .... HELP

Early A.M. workouts or you can get a treadmill and walk inside in the evenings.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    gym with childcare available?
    my gym has childcare...

Elliptical, resistance bands, space, and commitment is all you need. ...
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with time constraints too. I think most people do.

Easy, fast, at home, no equipment: Jog in place or around the room - 10 or 15 minutes a few times a day adds up. Calisthenics - push ups, planks, dips, whatever you like. Choose one and bang out a set of however many you can do, and the next time you've got 5 minutes, choose another one.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    Get up earlier.
    Childcare center at gym.
    Pay a sitter.
    Get equipment for home.
  • jadamuriel76
    jadamuriel76 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the limited time thing! In my home, we made a plan...I go to the gym in the morning a few times a week before work for about 30 minutes at a time, my husband goes to the gym afer work. Basically, he is on kid duty in the a.m. and I'm on duty in the p.m. . Maybe you guys can work out something like that.
  • nray3119
    nray3119 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I go walking on my lunch break. I also do sit ups and small things after the boys go to sleep. Good luck!
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You can find some pretty cheap and quick exercise videos to do at home. I know Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred is popular. It's only 20 minutes and you can do it at home with a pair of dumbells. It's pretty cheap, I believe I have seen it at Target for under $12.
    Plus, there are a lot of threads in here about it, with people's results too, so it can be pretty inspiring to being "doing it with other people."
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Take your kids on a walk with you.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great things you can do at home!

If you like pilates, check this site out:

blogilates.com

She posts really great mini workouts on there. Choose a couple to combine, and you have a great workout.
  • amandab1669
    amandab1669 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard but you have to make time. When you take your kids to their activities take a walk while they are doing their thing. Or try buying some DVD's or use the on demand for some short exercise videos. No matter what you have to make time for you and take care of yourself. You'll figure it out.
  • wellbur
    wellbur Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.... Yes i guess i could get up earlier but we all leave the house about 7:30 so would need to be up early. Children are 13 and 11, so not tiny but still not really old enough to leave on their own. would love a running machine in the garage... will have to ask for one for my birthday :) I
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I use Walk At Home DVDs by Leslie Sansone. This way I can "walk" at night, "walk" in the rain, etc. This is basically low impact, no choreography aerobics. Here's a video clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related

These are available at Target, Wal-Mart, etc. She even made a couple videos with kids .... would your kids join in (for a bit)?

Just squeeze in short workouts here & there. Netflix streaming has lots of 10 Minute Solution DVDs. You could piece together a 50 minute video - 10 minutes at a time.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Honestly, not having time is a cop out. Play tag or catch or anything with your kids and include them in your exercise if you have to. You can do circuits in your living room if you can't leave the house, jumping jacks, pushups, jump squats, walking lunges, jump rope, anything will work, it's just important that you do something!
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of workout videos and weights at home and a nice set-up in the basement to work out. Go to www.collagevideo.com and you can preview any workout dvd before buying it.

With two kids, and needing to be out the door by 7:30, i get up at 5:15 am, workout for ~ 45 minutes and still have time to pack a lunch, shower, and get the kids ready. Of course my husband helps out with the kids too ;-)

Good luck!
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Everyone's busy! If you want something badly enough you will make it happen. You could always find a reason not to exercise but one of my favorite quotes for this is "Somewhere, someone busier than you is working out right now!" Just tell yourself that when you don't feel like working out.
  • hennyben
    hennyben Posts: 317
    Options
    Get some workout DVDs. Jillian Michaels is great. Your kids are old enough to entertain themselves for 45 minutes while you workout.