Office Politics...

Options
I work in a small office that manages several properties. My coworkers like to celebrate everything by ordering pizza (or fast food in general) and cake! Birthdays, Anniversaries, Opening New Properties, Fridays...there was even cake for 09/10/11 because the date was cool. Seriously. Everyone complains about their weight, but at least once a week there is a new celebration. Does anyone have a recommended polite way to excuse myself from these high calorie events, without rocking the boat? I usually pack my lunch and eat it with them, but the office manager gets offended when I try to turn down the sweets. Do I just suck it up and add more distance to my run?

Replies

• lulusmom
    lulusmom Posts: 71
    Options
    I eat a token amount with the staff and a real meal at my deak. People don't get offended if you take a piece of pizza and eat half, quite like they do when you consistently refuse to eat the pizza. Same with the sweets...take a small piece and dump it when no one is paying attention.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Just say no thanks. If they get offended too bad. I do this all the time, but I don't see it as a problem, and it's never become a problem.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I know this feeling!! (I'm the only vegetarian in the office and they'll bring me stuff like "here Rain we got this just for you!" :(. You've just got to say no thanks and eventually they'll get the hint!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    , but the office manager gets offended when I try to turn down the sweets.

Im sorry but its not the Office Manager's place to be making you feel guilty because you dont want the junk food.

We have food pushers where I work (I work in a large physician/hospital network-based billing office) I cant tell you how much junk food they bring in and eat. Its REDICULOUS...

It doesnt matter how many times I tell them "please do not offer me any foods/desserts, Im going to turn them all down with a no-thank-you response and I dont want to be asked "are you sure?"... Im saying no thank you - that should be enough.

I have food allergies and sensitivities that I dont need to have to explain to every person. Its a long list and Id rather not lose the wind in my lungs if you know what I mean.

Your OM needs to get a grip.... besides - you are contributing to your health which in turn eases the financial burden of health insurance costs....
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    If you want to do it without making waves you could just take a piece and say you've just eaten but you'll save it for later. Then toss it. I really don't get pushing food on people. I bake and decorate cake as a hobby and people love my stuff but I never eat it. I throw cake away all the time! I'm not obligated to eat all the scraps that I trim off the things.
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    Your office manager would get offended for not eating any of the sweets? I think I would be even more offended if my coworkers were the offended ones because im somehow inconveniencing them with trying to better my health.

I personally tell my coworkers that I am eating healthier. I have been invited to lunches many times now and have turned them down. Ya they give me a bit of ‘hard time’ for not tagging a long but most of it is just sarcasm.

Honestly I wouldn’t even worry about. It’s your health, your body, no one can make you eat something you don’t want to and if they become offended because of it well then to bad, they'll get over it and hey... more for them right? lol.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    It would be a shame if you developed food allergies ;) Oops can't eat that I think I am allergic to A,B,or C that is in it.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    It would be a shame if you developed food allergies ;) Oops can't eat that I think I am allergic to A,B,or C that is in it.

Oh me oh myyyy... what are we gonna do??????? (lol!!!)
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If you do it enough, they'll become used to you being different and just lay off you. I'm known in office as the resident health nut/weirdo who won't eat sugar/bad foods. I have a sugar allergy (for real!!) so that helps, but I also don't eat things like pizza, etc except on special occasions.

It's just expected. They gave me a hard time at first but then they forgot about it and now no one cares. I care about my body more than what they think. I have to live with my clothes not fitting if I eat crap. They don't.

Also, eating, like drinking, is social. People want you to do it with them so they feel better/less guilty about choices they're making. It's not your job to do that.