Greek Yogurt - Recipes?

Options
hwilliams519
hwilliams519 Posts: 428
So I finally decided to try Greek yogurt. Didn't like it at all. I've heard you can use it in recipes though, and was wondering if you have a recipe you could recommend. (It's just plain - no flavors.)

Replies

• kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Did you put anything in it? I don't like plain greek yogurt on it's own, but add 1tbsp of honey and some berries and it's delicious
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I also add about a tablespoon of hidden valley ranch packet mix and it makes a great low cal veggie dip.

Any recipies that call for sour cream, I use greek yogurt instead. Once it is cooked, I can't tell a difference.
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    I also add about a tablespoon of hidden valley ranch packet mix and it makes a great low cal veggie dip.

Any recipies that call for sour cream, I use greek yogurt instead. Once it is cooked, I can't tell a difference.

Great idea about the veggie dip
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is really versatile. You can make it like the others said with berries, honey, and some granola mixed in. You can also use it as a substitute for mayonaisse in salmon or tuna salads. I like to use it in curries. Just saute eggplant, tomato, and onion with lots of curry powder, cumin, salt, pepper, cinnamon, ginger and when it looks almost done add about a half cup of plain greek yogurt and let simmer. Its delicious.
  • kaybee1966
    kaybee1966 Posts: 2
    Options
    The first time I tried Greek yogurt I thought it was terrible as well, but it ended up being the brand that I tried that I didn't care for because a friend shared a bite of another brand of Greek yogurt with me and it was amazing (it was the Fage brand, I think). I now regularly eat the Yoplait Greek yogurt and love it. It almost tastes like a scoop of strawberry cheesecake in a cup!

I'm also looking for ways to use Greek yogurt in cooking, so it's a great topic to bring up.
  • ajcamber
    ajcamber Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use the plain greek yogurt as a replacement for sour cream, really good in dips.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I love it and use it for everything but my family is like you and doesn't like it. What they don't realize is that they eat it in any casserole that calls for sour cream and in smoothies. Just don't tell them :wink:
  • mcknz121
    mcknz121 Posts: 44
    Options
    bump:happy:
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    The first time I tried Greek yogurt I thought it was terrible as well, but it ended up being the brand that I tried that I didn't care for because a friend shared a bite of another brand of Greek yogurt with me and it was amazing (it was the Fage brand, I think). I now regularly eat the Yoplait Greek yogurt and love it. It almost tastes like a scoop of strawberry cheesecake in a cup!

I'm also looking for ways to use Greek yogurt in cooking, so it's a great topic to bring up.

I'd probably have better luck with the yoplait brand. It's really the only brand of yogurt I like.
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    I love it and use it for everything but my family is like you and doesn't like it. What they don't realize is that they eat it in any casserole that calls for sour cream and in smoothies. Just don't tell them :wink:

Oh I could def use it for a smoothie. I already have frozen strawberries and juice or milk.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Put honey it in, maybe some nuts too, put frozen fruit in it and blend it. Use it to replace sour cream in dips. Put it in oatmeal. Put it in a shake with fruit.

But if you don't like it, don't eat it. There are lots of other healthy foods out there :).
  • antypim89
    antypim89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I practically live on this stuff. My taztziki reciepe is legendary, i use it to accompany turkey burgers or just as a dip with salad. Its simply greek yog with grated cucumber so its also a great way to get an extra veggie in there. If you want the reciepe then just send me a message.

Otherwise greek yoghurt also can be used to make low fat carbonara sauce (only if you buy the low fat stuff), in curries as a cooling agent instead of cream, in soups instead of cream........you get the picture.

Am sure you'll soon grow to like it
  • jeawashko
    jeawashko Posts: 40
    Options
    i use it FOR EVERYTHING. last night i was craving blue cheese dressing. instead of wasting calories and fat, i took plain greek yogurt, threw in some lemon juice, hot sauce, low-fat blue cheese, and voila. made a delicious buffalo blue cheese that i threw on some chicken breast and baked in the oven.

literally the other day i said i can't imagine how i lived without greek yougurt, that is how often i use it. i sub it anywhere i can. be creative! the plain takes on the taste of basically anything you pair it with, you really can't go wrong!
  • MelHoneyRocks
    MelHoneyRocks Posts: 223
    Options
    Ewh plain is horrible. but lucky for you ..this recipe can save you! It is Refrigerated Oatmeal...intriguing isnt it! I improvise with what ever fruit I have, and I never add chia seeds. But see if you like it. It has become a staple in our house for breakfast.
    http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2012/03/293/Overnight,+No-Cook+Refrigerator+Oatmeal+--+A+healthy+breakfast+made+in+mason+jars+in+six+different+flavors!
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I hate yogurt. But I've found one way to eat it (so far) that I love and could eat every day.

Tzatziki sauce...

Cucumber - no peel, shred raw, 380 g
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 Tbsp
    Chopped Garlic, 4.5 tsp
    Iodized Salt, 1.5 tsp (1.5g)
    Greek Nonfat Yogurt Plain, 1 container (4 cup (225g)
    Pepper, black, 1 tsp
    Feta Cheese Crumbles, 0.5 cup

Shred the cucumber, add salt, let it drain in colander for about 30 to 60 minutes. Strain and literally squeeze with paper towel/cheese cloth towel (trying to get most of the water out of cucumber so sauce doesn't end up watery/runny)

Mix everything else together with cucumbers. Eat with grilled chicken, Naan bread (omg so good) or Pita. Or plain by itself, but better as topper to chix to me.

There are a million recipes online too, some skip the oil calories, add less cheese, etc. but they're all pretty much the same.
  • valadees
    valadees Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    saving this for later..
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i use it FOR EVERYTHING. last night i was craving blue cheese dressing. instead of wasting calories and fat, i took plain greek yogurt, threw in some lemon juice, hot sauce, low-fat blue cheese, and voila. made a delicious buffalo blue cheese that i threw on some chicken breast and baked in the oven.

literally the other day i said i can't imagine how i lived without greek yougurt, that is how often i use it. i sub it anywhere i can. be creative! the plain takes on the taste of basically anything you pair it with, you really can't go wrong!

That is fantastic. So going to try this, loveeeeeeee blue cheese dressing.
  • eileen673
    eileen673 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    I put some blueberries in it and stick it in the freezer and I use it for a substitute for ice-cream cravings and it helps. Like I did for most of today for example lol.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I would use no sugar added (not sugar free) jelly/jam and throw that in there.