How to eat healthy on a tight budget?

Options

Replies

• jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! Living healthy on a budget is not easy. I make a lot of soups, stews and chilis. I'll cook a big pot of something on a Sunday and then put it into containers in single portions and freeze it. Then I have quick and healthy meals ready to go and I can eat for a week on a $10 pot of something yummy. I'm a meat eater, so I'll stock up on ground turkey, chicken and lean beef when it's on sale too and freeze it. I get a lot out of those, and they tend to be cheap. I'll pack my own burgers or make chili or lettuce wraps, etc. Chicken thighs are cheaper than breasts, and are a good alternative (boneless and skinless)!

I buy a lot of beans, whole grain pasta, and canned tomatoes when they're on sale and stock up. I shop the aisles at Walmart, Aldi and other "discount" stores.

I haven't had much luck with Farmer's markets, because I actually find them much more expensive than my local grocery store. Keep an eye on sales for things. It's cheaper to buy lettuce whole (instead of the pre-packaged bags). You get more bang for your buck if you take the time to clean and cut them yourself.

The best thing you can do for yourself is plan ahead. Watch the store sales, clip coupons, and pay attention to store promotions. Look up "healthy recipes on a budget" on Google and get some ideas. Plan out meals that use similar ingredients to minimize waste.

I like these sites:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_budget_friendly_recipes

http://allrecipes.com/howto/cooking-on-a-budget/

Good luck with it!
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Buy your meat BULK ( sams club, bjs, costco) and just repackage it down to pound sized bags, or buy the meat already frozen...
    I do MOST of my shopping at Sams...I buy my produce, meats , coffee... the items I use the MOST there because it stretches that dollar.
    Dont be fooled by discount food in stores, ( Like save a lot stores, dollar tree, etc...) the only reason the food is cheaper is because there is LESS in the package for a lesser price. . ( I found this out the hard way after i did the math after a few trips there)
    Buying FROZEN (amelia,s warehouse) is ALWAYS a big $$ saver because EVERYTHING is already frozen... a little inconvenient if you want to eat it right away though. .
    PRODUCE IS USUALLY YOUR MOST EXPENSIVE ITEMS. If you are going to use it right away then farmers markets, farm fresh or in bulk saves $$$.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    i go to the local farmers market and buy whatever fruits and veggies are on sale. I got 2lbs of asparagus for a dollar a couple weeks ago and 1lb of green beans for 2 dollars!

I do farmer's market too. $2 seems to be the magic number for just about everything. If you buy in bulk you can freeze extra so it doesn't spoil and pick up a foodsaver off Craigslist on the cheap which will save you a ton. Also you can get a large bag of brown rice at Costco type places and use your fresh veggies for stir-fry. You can also usually hit grocery stores on Sunday mornings where steaks and chicken are about to expire and discounted and freeze them until ready to use. Another thing I do is hit multiple grocery stores around me and only buy the produce that's on sale at each. A little time consuming but can save you some cash.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Beans & Rice... add your choice of extra protein (clearance is good here).

Change up added veggies (spinach, tomatoes, garlic, carrots, etc) & spices every time for a different flavor.
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Dry beans are cheap as dirt, and are really really good for you - they'll take a little bit longer to prepare than if you bought them canned, but I think it's worth it. Frozen fruits and veggies are pretty good too.
  • AndMurphy
    AndMurphy Posts: 4
    Options
    About the cost for healthy food replacing the cost of junk food, I second that. Look for specials on produce and healthy proteins and but what's on sale. I also work next to a Whole Foods and find that I can get a very healthy salad from the salad bar for $5-6 (including protein!). There are few if any other places around me that offer that quality for that price.

Other things are better to buy in larger containers, such as yogurt and oatmeal. Certain things, like nuts, can stay around for longer, then you have options when you go, for example, to make a salad. Breads can freeze.

Most importantly, I make a point not to waste any of the healthy foods I do buy. I used to get bored of them, then they'd spoil, and I'd throw them away. I find that if I buy a little at a time and make a point to eat all of it, then I am getting my money's worth and naturally replacing junk foods with healthful ones, come snack time.

Someone mentioned having to put the work into it, which is true. But nothing of value comes easily :).
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    countrygirlatheart0717 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be real here, I'm pretty broke lol. And I know I'm not the only one on a budget! I was watching some of the movie Food Inc today, and in one part they were talking about how cheap bad food is, and how much more expensive good food is! It's a conspiracy! Hahaha, anyway, I would really just love if I could get some tips on how to eat healthy without spending what I don't have.

I recently found a website called www.brokeandhealthy.com - I have made a few of the recipes and they were really good ...I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS SITE TO ANYONE ON A BUDGET ESPECIALLY A STRICT ONE!!! :) It not only has a recipe section but it also has tabs for: store/shopping, mind & body, finances, home life/DIY projects.

I have been telling EVERYONE I know about this site because it's a life saver - feel free to spread the word! :)
  • AndMurphy
    AndMurphy Posts: 4
    Options
    You should make a list of all the "unhealthy" foods you normally buy and are looking to cut out, add up how much it costs you, then figure out what healthful foods you can buy with that money instead.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    I'm a student so I've gotten kinda used to spending on a very tight budget lol. My advice is to buy dry, whole foods in bulk that will not expire any time soon i.e oats and blackbeans, lentils, brown rice etc. Same goes for vegetables, buy mixed frozen vegetables really cheapily with supermarket brands and they don't expire. Eggs are cheap and really nutritious, I eat ALOT of these :'D and for meats I buy in bulk and freeze the ones i'm not currently using.

Hope it helps :)
  • jagh09
    Options
    Another great resource is a Food Co-op. I'm not sure where you're living, but use Google to search for "Food Co-op" and your area. Good luck!
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Look for the manager specials in the produce and meat sections. They are close to expiration dates. If you cook them right away or within a day, you will be fine and can eat the left-overs... Use coupons. Look for stores like Produce Junction that sell bulk cheap. Join a food co-op with friends, family or neighbors to get lower prices. Buy sale items and freeze them. Buy frozen vegetables. Junk food is not really cheap either. I read your blog yesterday. You have really high goals. It may not be possible to reach all of them on such a tight budget, but you will be able to eat healthier if you change the way you shop.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I keep a memo in my phone of "cheap healthy foods" that I took from a Shape magazine article. Here's what's on it:

Brown rice
    Multigrain pasta
    Whole wheat tortillas
    Frozen veggies
    Bagged salad
    Canned refried beans
    Jarred marinara sauce
    Eggs, egg substitutes
    Frozen edamame
    Asparagus
    Bananas
    Broccoli
    Green beans
    Black beans
    Kale
    Canned tuna

As others have mentioned, try to buy what is in season and on sale. You can always get produce on sale and freeze it for later use. Also, I am vegetarian, and things like beans, eggs, nuts and nut butters are much less expensive than meat, so that helps! Never underestimate the power of coupons, too.

I do this too...
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I go into people's diary when they aren't looking and steal their food items.
  • jagh09
    Options
    I go into people's diary when they aren't looking and steal their food items.

hahaha! Brilliant!
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Meal planning is key! I used to go buy a ton of fresh produce, and a lot of it would go to waste as I wouldn't plan around how to use it in meals. Now I just buy a couple items of what I need, and change it up every couple of weeks for variety. Frozen veggies and fruits can also go a long ways, pasta and rice (make sure they're whole wheat and brown rice for optimal nutrition :wink:), canned beans are a good source of protein & fibre also.
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Aldi and cooking from scratch and in bulk are the only ways I've found to do it! X

She has named them all. You have to do the work and cook all your meals at home but it is cheaper in long run. Avoid all snacks and processed food and buy in bulk, especially chicken. Cut portions down which you should be doing anyway and you will be surprised how far your money will go. I feed a family of 6 (3 teenage boys, 1 teen girl) on a budget of $200 a week/ When I was buying the junk stuff and processed meals i was spending between 300 - 350.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Awesome tips here!
  • rissaface
    rissaface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I need in on this one too. Thanks everyone for sharing
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    countrygirlatheart0717 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Check out Bountifulbaskets.org and see if they have a location near you. You can purchase a laundry basket full of fruits and vegetables for only $15.00. Then I buy as much meat and diary when it is on sale as possible and freeze whatever I wont use in the week. I can feed my family of 3 for about $60.00 a week doing that.

I checked out that site and unfortunately there is no location near me :-( I wish there was that's one hell of a deal!!!!! Also, people keep mentioning Aldi's ... there isn't one near me either! :-/