why does strength training not give calories burned?

Options
Why, in the exercise section, does it not indicate that you've burned calories after a strength training workout?

Replies

• myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    According to my doctor you cant measure calories burned when doing strength training accurately. Not sure if this is right. Just thought I would throw it in.
  • jdhowell88
    jdhowell88 Posts: 15
    Options
    you cant judge intensity
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Because of the variations in intensity, weights, etc, it would be really tough to calculate. If I've had a particularly vigorous session, I try to estimate how much time I spent sweating, and log half of that as "vigorous calisthenics". But I admit that's just a complete guess, and a attempt to estimate a reward for working out because eating extra food is a big incentive for me, and if I don't reward myself for lifting I'll find myself staying on the cardio machines.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Anaerobic activity doesn't burn nearly as much as aerobic. Again, it's nearly impossible to measure accurately like someone said above, so just don't count it
  • amandacarrier
    Options
    Ok, I will just guess low then. Thanks!
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    Essentially, it DOES NOT burn any calories to speak of.

It's about building your muscles, nothing much to do with your caloric equation.
  • LavaRoushFiveOh
    LavaRoushFiveOh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, is if you keep the intensity very high and the sets very close together, keeping your heart rate up, you burn a fair amount of calories. When I worked out yesterday I sweated just as much while doing weights as I did while doing the elliptical. So I would say I at least burned another 250 calories doing that. But I didnt enter it into the tracker.
  • Hawkian
    Hawkian Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    edit: there we go

It's about building your muscles, nothing much to do with your caloric equation.

That's not really accurate, especially if you're mixing up moves and doing high intensity sets, sweating, taking few breaks, etc. It's just far, far more difficult to gauge how many calories than during aerobic exercise, so rather than just taking a blind guess it doesn't give you anything.

Measuring or estimating based on your own workout and then adding it as a custom cardio exercise is the best bet really.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You can add strength training under the cardio section. It is called

Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)

I have found that the calories it gives are about right as far as counting calories for diet is concerned.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You can add strength training under the cardio section. It is called

Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)

I have found that the calories it gives are about right as far as counting calories for diet is concerned.

This
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    To say that strength training doesn't burn any calories seems absurd. I work up a good sweat and my heart rate shoots up as well. Just try to make a low estimate by using "strength training" in the cardiovascular exercises section.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If something doesn't show up, I google another site and get the stats, by my weight and minutes or reps completed.
  • DrivenDiva
    DrivenDiva Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Wear a heart rate monitor when you do strength and check your progress in between sets. I add my sessions as cardio (I input my own description of the workout or just select "circuit training general". I also I infuse some cardio either before or after I lift.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    i like to throw in that when I did the p90x, I had a heart rate watch with a calorie burner, I burned over 900 calories doing the pushup pullup phase. When I went to the gym, it calculated in a half hour about 100 calories. I guess since my heart rate wasn't up high, it was reading normal calorie burn. I would say that intense workout where heart rate is increased makes for better calorie assumption, such as circuits or HIIT
  • htolen
    htolen Posts: 28
    Options

This is actually inaccurate. ALL activity burns calories. That's the whole premise of the BMR as a number that represents what your body burns in a coma (breathing and carrying out essential life functions). That's the whole premise behind setting your calorie intake goal to about 200 over your BMR, PLUS exercise calories, to create a healthy caloric deficit that results in weight loss. So, lifting weights and working muscle groups definitely expends calories. Driving a car always burns fuel, even if you are driving slowly.

The problem is just in calculating how many calories you do burn while working those muscle groups. The closest measure might be obtained by getting a HRM or even better, one of those nifty body bug things that measures your caloric expenditures (like at bodymedia.com) so you can get an accurate count. You won't see the calories burn like when you are doing aerobic exercises (walking, elliptical, bike, etc.) though, so if you are going to just guess, use the "calisthenics" measure from the cardio section and be very conservative in your numbers. I usually do what someone above suggested...figure out how long you were actually working at a sweat and then enter about half that.

The important thing about resistance training is not so much that it burns calories but that it helps your body use food more efficiently. In the end, experiment with the ways you enter your numbers, check the scale to make sure you are getting the results you want, and then keep doing what works. Good luck!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

ridiculous...........all i do for exercise is strength training, and I assure you, i burn plenty of calories in the process............as was already stated, it is logged under cardio exercises as "strength training" and if you keep your rest very short and keep moving, "circuit training"
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options

ridiculous...........all i do for exercise is strength training, and I assure you, i burn plenty of calories in the process............as was already stated, it is logged under cardio exercises as "strength training" and if you keep your rest very short and keep moving, "circuit training"

Amen

I know damn good and well (first hand experience) that strength training burns more calories than sleeping or sitting on the couch as I am sweating my *kitten* off when lifting. IMO enough said!
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Strength training is 5-8 reps/set which is anaerobic (if you rest between sets), little calories are burned compared to aerobic activity if time spent is equal for both

All of these programs that combine weights with cardio (p90x, insanity, etc.) increase heart rate plenty and burn plenty of calories...the only problem is they are difficult to measure. They also include many "strength" type fullbody movements adding to the confusion of what strength training really is.

Supersetting (back-to-back, no rest) exercises also keeps the heart rate up, burns more calories. So throwing in "strength" type movements with no rest in between sets can burn plenty of calories.