How to eat healthy on a tight budget?

Options

Replies

• meghan1789
    meghan1789 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Those are some really good points for saving money and I would like to add a couple tips of my own that are slightly different.

Okay, so I know it sounds contradictory, but be careful about shopping at big box stores like Walmart (I don't know what else you have in the States), especially when buying produce. I have found that saving money is not as much about what you buy, but what you throw out.

It may seem like a really good price or it's on sale or whatever, but I have found that fresh foods at these types of store do not last very long (or at least certainly not as long as more quality places) and then I end up throwing them out and all that money goes to waste, even if it was cheap. Here's a few of my tips:

- Buy quality foods that will stay fresh longer so they don't go to waste

- Always check the best before date and try to find the latest date you can.

- This is a tip I learned from living in England. Only buy what you need for the next couple days. I found that people in England tended to have smaller fridges because they didn't go to the store once a week or two weeks and tried to stock up on everything on sale. Instead, they only buy what they need and that way, they don't have to throw something out that they bought but never used. It's proven that the UK has significantly less waste per person than North America.

- Ask yourself two questions, "Do I really need it?" and "What am I going to do with it?". If you can't answer these questions, don't buy it! Always have a plan for what you are buying and don't just buy it because it's on sale.

So in summary, be aware of not only what you are buying, but what you are throwing out. Because every rotten egg or moudly piece of bread you throw out is more money down the drain!

Hope that helps!
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    countrygirlatheart0717 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I keep a memo in my phone of "cheap healthy foods" that I took from a Shape magazine article. Here's what's on it:

Brown rice
    Multigrain pasta
    Whole wheat tortillas
    Frozen veggies
    Bagged salad
    Canned refried beans
    Jarred marinara sauce
    Eggs, egg substitutes
    Frozen edamame
    Asparagus
    Bananas
    Broccoli
    Green beans
    Black beans
    Kale
    Canned tuna

As others have mentioned, try to buy what is in season and on sale. You can always get produce on sale and freeze it for later use. Also, I am vegetarian, and things like beans, eggs, nuts and nut butters are much less expensive than meat, so that helps! Never underestimate the power of coupons, too.

Thank you! I stole this list from you it's now in my phone and I will use it when I shop! :)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    If you are near a Krogers look for their "Manager's Specials", these are items that are nearly dated and are marked down. I scope out the produce and natural/organic section looking for those little orange & yellow tags.
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    http://melissafallistestkitchen.blogspot.com/2011/09/freezer-cooking-slow-cooker-meals.html

...is a good idea, freezer packed slow cooker meals. You can health them up with whatever cheap finds that you can find in bulk (or @ farmers markets) to your tastes or preferences, or at least use the above as an idea starter for what you could do.

A crockpot is definitely a good investment for the busy person on a budget. It's saved my butt a couple of times. :D
  • dawnkilmurray
    Options
    I was worried about that when I first started eating properly back in January. I am on a very tight budget and have found that I am spending less than I was.

I have thought alot about this and have found that a box of ceral, Almond Milk, Cheese sticks etc lasts alot longer when you eat the portions you are supposed to. I never realized a box of cereal has 2 weeks worth of daily servings. I thought they were supposed to last a few days!!!
  • 2shoes123
    2shoes123 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I started making home-made yogurt after realizing that I was spending over $20 a week for Chobani at $1/each. We have a family of 6 (which includes three teenage boys). Yogurt making has become my hobby - crazy! A half gallon of milk yields a half gallon of yogurt. It is very cheap compared to prepared yogurt. I buy frozen fruit and make smoothies.
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    I have been using a lot of coupons... Not that I am extreme like on tv but I do my fair share. Getting other items cheaper so I have more money for the better healthier foods. :smile:
  • tmandras
    tmandras Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    you HAVE to meal plan. "healthy food" isn't expensive as long as you meal plan, and make your own food. I make a lot of crock pot recipes because I can prepare the night before, and cooks while i'm at work (and i always have leftovers for the rest of the week!).

pick out maybe 2 recipes you'd like to try (hopefully some of them share the same ingredients), and see how it works. skinnytaste.com is a great site, you just have to put in the effort to do the cooking.

I agree! I make sure to look at the meat markdown section in my grocery stores for deals too, even if it expires that day...take it home & cook it right away! Aldi is great for veggies too!
  • 6566tess
    6566tess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zandrellia
    zandrellia Posts: 26
    Options
    You've got some great suggestions so far. I'd thought I would throw in some others:

1) Look into a food ministry. Some churches and other non-profit organizations can offer good foods at discounted prices. Depending on where you live, it could save you a lot in the long run to go through one of these organizations. (I know in certain food deserts the places and options that people above have offered are not as easy to get to and you may live in such an area.) Most of the boxes of food they offer contain enough food for a family of four - but if you're single or have less people in your family you can stretch that food out to last longer.

2) Even if you can't get to a food ministry, if you go to church it can never hurt to ask your church for help. That is what church is for, a community to help each other and do well in serving the people of that faith. I know that when I was a child and our family was on hard times our church brought us food and other supplies to help make ends meet - when we did well, we paid it forward to other church members. You never know what might be available in your community, so ask around.

3) If you are low income and receive food stamps and/or WIC you may already qualify for vouchers to use at a local farmer's market. I bought many fresh, locally grown foods with these vouchers when I was a single mother and we got to try a lot of foods that we might have never ate before if I hadn't received those vouchers. (You have to either be told or ask for them specifically, though, so ask!) Remember that farmer's markets are not like retailers and you can haggle down the price of nearly anything there! Most of the local farms are just looking to make enough to get a small profit and not have any waste. I once received 4 pounds of blackberries from a farmer for a $3 voucher because he was trying to get rid of them before they went bad. Most farmers are very considerate and will work with you on the prices.

4) Consider growing your own foods! Even if you live in an apartment or have limited space you can have what is called a "patio garden" where you grow things in pots. Gardening is healthy for you in many ways. It's stress relief, outdoor time, calorie burning, good food resulting activity! It can seem expensive on the outset but consider this: A single tomato plant costs around $5, a pot and some soil and you're looking at around $12. On-the-vine organic tomatoes can run around $3 at a typical grocery, if not more. One tomato plant can produce as many as 50 tomatoes within a good summer. If you can those for future use you can save yourself a fortune! (Stewed tomatoes, tomato puree, tomato sauce... so many uses!) If you have your own home and have a small patch of land, I'd really suggest getting into gardening! Start small and work your way up into a full garden. Your body and your budget will love you for it.

5) Work down the prices of foods in one trip! Get together the price listings from local groceries and plan your meals based on what is on sale in those. Wal-Mart has a policy where if you bring the sales ad and the food you buy from there of the same brand or equivalent is more expensive, they will change the price and charge you the lower price from the competitor just to keep your business. Again, though, you have to ask!
  • tobafa
    tobafa Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of canned chicken and eggs (boiled/scrambled). Pretty cheap snacks.
  • nucreeman
    nucreeman Posts: 40
    Options
    A lot of good advice. I would say trying googling receipe ideas for some of these items. You can make all kinds of quiches with some veggies and a few eggs, tofu is actually not that bad and is a little over a $1.00 a pack, eggplant makes a meal, brown rice
    can be filling. once you get recipe ideas you can reinvent these items so it won't seem like your eating the same things over and
    over again. Good luck
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Buy frozen vegetables while on sale. Clip coupons. Buy in the bulk (oatmeal, dry beans, etc.) I used to always go over friends house and help them with leftovers but of course, that wasn't always healthy.
  • LovelyNFit
    LovelyNFit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Interesting read
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    have to contribute

"healthy foods" are very expensive.

Foods that are healthy are not.

I priced up a Quorn shepards pie ready meal, one they toted for being healthy on the packaging, with making the same recipe my self. I could make double for half the price!!!

Keep your head switched on, keep your eyes peeled, and never ever shop on an empty stomach.
  • molliewitt
    molliewitt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    have to contribute

"healthy foods" are very expensive.

Foods that are healthy are not.

I priced up a Quorn shepards pie ready meal, one they toted for being healthy on the packaging, with making the same recipe my self. I could make double for half the price!!!

Keep your head switched on, keep your eyes peeled, and never ever shop on an empty stomach.
    I agree. If you go down the "health food" lane at the supermarket, everything is overpriced. Their brown rice is twice what the brown rice on the regular lane costs, so I am not wasting my money. Learn to cook. Learn to love your crock pot! Odds are, if you can make it using fresh ingredients, then it is better for you than something frozen (and needless to say, cheaper as well).

Keep your eye on the prize!
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Those are some really good points for saving money and I would like to add a couple tips of my own that are slightly different.

Okay, so I know it sounds contradictory, but be careful about shopping at big box stores like Walmart (I don't know what else you have in the States), especially when buying produce. I have found that saving money is not as much about what you buy, but what you throw out.

It may seem like a really good price or it's on sale or whatever, but I have found that fresh foods at these types of store do not last very long (or at least certainly not as long as more quality places) and then I end up throwing them out and all that money goes to waste, even if it was cheap. Here's a few of my tips:

- Buy quality foods that will stay fresh longer so they don't go to waste

- Always check the best before date and try to find the latest date you can.

- This is a tip I learned from living in England. Only buy what you need for the next couple days. I found that people in England tended to have smaller fridges because they didn't go to the store once a week or two weeks and tried to stock up on everything on sale. Instead, they only buy what they need and that way, they don't have to throw something out that they bought but never used. It's proven that the UK has significantly less waste per person than North America.

- Ask yourself two questions, "Do I really need it?" and "What am I going to do with it?". If you can't answer these questions, don't buy it! Always have a plan for what you are buying and don't just buy it because it's on sale.

So in summary, be aware of not only what you are buying, but what you are throwing out. Because every rotten egg or moudly piece of bread you throw out is more money down the drain!

Hope that helps!

^^^^ Great points!!!! :smile:
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    A co-op for fruits and veggies. I use bountiful baskets and you get a huge amount of fruits and veggies for your $15. And if you split it with someone then you're only at $7.50!
  • sportsbear46
    Options
    Some healthy things to stretch your food dollar:

Beans
    Eggs
    Pasta
    Brown Rice
    Frozen Veggies and Fruits (Look for sales and stock up)

Visit your local Farmer's Market for fresh veggies and fruits. I also recently found if you eat fish, your local fish market will probably be less expensive than the supermarket.

Hope that helps. Generally, anything you have to cook yourself will likely be less expensive that something ready to eat.

^^^^ This :happy:
  • Kikers123
    Kikers123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Seriously thanks so much for all the tips everyone! Headed out to go shopping now!