caloric intake

Options
How do i know i am eating enough calories to be losing weight. I currently weight 145 lbs am 5foot 6inch and am 26 years of age and am trying to consume 1200 calories. Does this seem good or am i starving myself with not hope in losing weight? I on average get to the gym three days a week for an hour of cardio and 1/2 hour of weights. hope you all can help

Replies

• KetoCdn
    KetoCdn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How do i know i am eating enough calories to be losing weight. I currently weight 145 lbs am 5foot 6inch and am 26 years of age and am trying to consume 1200 calories. Does this seem good or am i starving myself with not hope in losing weight? I on average get to the gym three days a week for an hour of cardio and 1/2 hour of weights. hope you all can help
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    if you post your exercise and food, it will tell you how much you need to eat and be sure to set your goals reasonably. I don't think you ever want to go below 1200 calories no matter what...
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Based on everything I've read and my personal experience, the less weight you have to lose, the smaller your calorie deficit should be. If you're large and have a lot of weight to lose, a 500 calorie a day deficit seems to help you lose weight. If you're smaller and don't have as much to lose (you.) you can actually lose more efficiently by making your deficit smaller, say 200 calories a day down from maintenance calories.

1200 calories is very low, especially if you're exercising and not eating your exercise calories. I would heartily recommend you consider changing your goals to be less agressive.

For example, if you're set at "lose one pound" or "two pounds" a week, try adjusting your goal to half a pound a week.

You really must eat to lose. I lost the last few pounds toward my goal weight after I switched to "maintain your current weight" under goals.