The great debate HRM or Fitbit

Options
petemeep
petemeep Posts: 62 Member
I've been doing the couch to 5k and want something to better track my calories burned but I also like that I can wear the Fitbit all day long and track all activity not just my workouts. How does fitbit do with running would I be better off with a HRM?

Replies

• bellaboo07
    bellaboo07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was looking in to this yesterday and still haven't a clue so would love to here some other people's thoughts.
  • row_rivers
    row_rivers Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    hi!

i find that the HRM is great if you're trying to get fitter (which in turn helps you lose weight). this is so that you can improve your cardiac health and keep your heart rate higher for longer. it's great at motivating me to go harder when i'm slacking during my workout.

from what i gather the fit bit is more of an...all day thing. it might count the more negligible calories and works a lot like a pedometer. are you really going to log your "walk to the bathroom" on MFP? i find it a little dangerous to log small things like that out...because it might TRICK you into thinking, oh, well i burned 100 calories walking to the bathroom today.........i can go ahead and eat a coffee crisp. i've seen some people even want to log out their sleep from the fit bit! but stuff like that is included in your calculated BMR.

in conclusion, i recommend the HRM. it doesn't give you all the fun tiny calorie burns....but it helps you keep a healthy heart. which, in my opinion, is better than those extra calories burned anyway.

hope all goes well!
  • toshie333
    toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm going to play devils advocate here cause I recommend a bodymedia fit. Like a fit bit but more hi tech, more accurate, more data. It depends what you are after. I love data x seeing what I've burnt all day, night, exercise, daily routine etc.
    I've just posted on how great I'm finding it. It's an arm band you wear pretty much all day and it tracks how many calories you burn vs what you eat. Tracks your sleeping pattern and efficiency, steps, moderate and vigorous activity. Best money I have spent. The uk version is called a ki fit but I bought the American version as it's the same but cheaper. It's what they wear on biggest loser program. The only down side is you have to pay a monthly subscription. Think it's $6 a month but 1st 3 months free.
    If you have any questions message me.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have both the FitBit and an HRM. I wear the fitbit 24/7 except when showering. It's great for tracking every day stuff, walking, and I suppose running (I don't run). The HRM I use for other types of exercise - kettlebell, zumba, etc. where the FitBit doesn't pick up the activity level as well. I love both. The FitBit is SUPER motivating!
  • petemeep
    Options
    hi!

i find that the HRM is great if you're trying to get fitter (which in turn helps you lose weight). this is so that you can improve your cardiac health and keep your heart rate higher for longer. it's great at motivating me to go harder when i'm slacking during my workout.

from what i gather the fit bit is more of an...all day thing. it might count the more negligible calories and works a lot like a pedometer. are you really going to log your "walk to the bathroom" on MFP? i find it a little dangerous to log small things like that out...because it might TRICK you into thinking, oh, well i burned 100 calories walking to the bathroom today.........i can go ahead and eat a coffee crisp. i've seen some people even want to log out their sleep from the fit bit! but stuff like that is included in your calculated BMR.

in conclusion, i recommend the HRM. it doesn't give you all the fun tiny calorie burns....but it helps you keep a healthy heart. which, in my opinion, is better than those extra calories burned anyway.

hope all goes well!

I also worry about thinking I've burned more calories than I really did I think that's why I'm so hesitant to buy it I have a feeling I would use it as an excuse to eat more
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have both the FitBit and an HRM. I wear the fitbit 24/7 except when showering. It's great for tracking every day stuff, walking, and I suppose running (I don't run). The HRM I use for other types of exercise - kettlebell, zumba, etc. where the FitBit doesn't pick up the activity level as well. I love both. The FitBit is SUPER motivating!

This is how I do it also. I love my Fitbit and because of it I move a lot more. However I need my HRM for my aerobic exercises.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    hi!

hope all goes well!

I also worry about thinking I've burned more calories than I really did I think that's why I'm so hesitant to buy it I have a feeling I would use it as an excuse to eat more

I love my fitbit & for me, it's not an excuse to eat more, it's a motivator to walk more. You don't log things like going to the bathroom, just actual exercise, such as running, going for a walk, even mowing the lawn.
  • petemeep
    Options
    hi!

hope all goes well!

I love my fitbit & for me, it's not an excuse to eat more, it's a motivator to walk more. You don't log things like going to the bathroom, just actual exercise, such as running, going for a walk, even mowing the lawn.

I thought it logged everything automatically? No does it not log everything directly to MFP? Maybe I misunderstood this?
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I have a BMF and a HRM, and I use both. The HRM helps you pull the most out of your workouts, and those all day calorie counting tools help you adjust your eating and motivate you to move around.

I know seeing a day with a HUGE burn makes me want to have more days like that. I'm motivated to window shop for no reason, take long recreational walks in the afternoon, spend more time dancing.. and less time sitting on the couch.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    hi!

hope all goes well!

I thought it logged everything automatically? No does it not log everything directly to MFP? Maybe I misunderstood this?

It doesn't log it into MFP. You have to enter the exercise in yourself, but it puts a Fitbit calorie adjustment in when it updates, which gets adjusted throughout the day depending on your activity level.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Question - How does the fitbit find your calorie burn if it does not take your heart rate into account? Cant be that accurate then, can it?
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    BodyMedia has a comparison site, that should make it easier for you:

http://www.bodymedia.com/Products/Learn-More/Compare
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

This is how I do it also. I love my Fitbit and because of it I move a lot more. However I need my HRM for my aerobic exercises.

This. :)
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    Ok..I'm clueless..what is a Fitbit?
  • fishes305
    fishes305 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have both and I use the Fitbit everyday. It just depends on what you're looking to improve on.
  • IslandDer
    IslandDer Posts: 27
    Options
    *bump*
  • bellaboo07
    bellaboo07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    husband just ordered me a fitbit very excited. my question is if i wear it at all times when doing general daily things but when exercising take it off for example on the cross trainer can i log the fitbit on mfp and the do the actual exercise manually as usual?