Pilates: How often and for how long do you do it?

Options
YepLilly
YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
I'm trying to incorporate Pilates into my weekly routine, but I'm still deciding how to do it. I think I might go with one long session (60 mins) once a week and then a couple 10-min sessions (focusing on abs) on my cardio days. What do you think? How many times a week, and for how long, do you practice Pilates?

Replies

• KayVee
    KayVee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For a solid practice, I recommend 3x a week. Try a mat class, then take home what you learned and apply it! Also, once you get into a nice mat routine, bump it up with some reformer work. 50-60 minute sessions are ideal for an entire body workout. I often throw in some of the fab 5 after a cardio session :) Good luck, glad to hear!! It changed my life :)
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it everyday for about 20 minutes. I'm not really sure if that's overkill or not, but I enjoy it. lol
  • jendon7
    jendon7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    kayvee....I do two 1-hour equipment sessions each week. It's not cardio, but pilates isn't listed under strength training in myfitnesspal. I don't know how to track it (i just started on MFP on sunday). I was thinking about just choosing it under cardio and putting 50 calories or something? thoughts? :)
  • katehad
    katehad Posts: 4
    Options
    I do it everyday minimum of 60 mins (when I started I started with 15-20 mins), I have the AeroPilates machine, so it's very convenient for me. I like starting my day off with some good stretching, getting the heart pumping and it's a good way to clear my head for the day. I am not a "work out" kind of person so really it's perfect for me. I am slowly incorporating more stretches, etc. into my routine. Good luck!
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies!

My current plan is: 3 Cardio days and 3 Strength Training days, with some short Yoga sessions here and there. So I'm thinking about replacing one of the Strength Training days with a long Pilates session and see how it goes, as well as adding some short Pilates sessions along with the Yoga ones.
  • jendon7
    jendon7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i could NOT believe how much stronger i was after starting pilates classes 3.5 years ago. i love it. i don't really do much strength training beyond pilates b/c i get such a great workout on the reformer & cadillac. great that you are branching out and trying new things!