Going over - having a bad day, what do you do?

Options
I over ate. I binged. I'm over by 800. I can't even.... What do you do when you just can't stop eating?

Replies

• montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I just make sure I track everything... and then I remind myself that it's just one day out seven (or one meal out 21 for the week) and if I stop myself now, I can still have a good weigh in.

I've done this more times than I can count... and very rarely does my one "bad day" equal a gain on the scale. Just forgive yourself and move on. :flowerforyou:
  • Insangelous
    Insangelous Posts: 33
    Options
    I just make sure I track everything... and then I remind myself that it's just one day out seven (or one meal out 21 for the week) and if I stop myself now, I can still have a good weigh in.

I've done this more times than I can count... and very rarely does my one "bad day" equal a gain on the scale. Just forgive yourself and move on. :flowerforyou:

But it just feels like so much.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I track everything and yes, I feel bad about it. But it happens. Sometimes I forget to actually feed my body enough. I don't do it all the time, but I don't beat myself up about it as much as I used to. Each day is a fresh start. A chance to make better choices than ones from before. Take it as a learning experience and do better the next day. Success is rarely achieved without stumbles and IS achieved by getting back on the horse and pursuing your goal despite a stumble here or there.
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Just forgive yourself and move on.

Exactly. We all have our moments. Start with a clean slate the next day and get yourself back on track.

You can do it!!
  • OccupyFitness
    OccupyFitness Posts: 147
    Options
    Log it because maybe when you look at your week totals, it won't looks so bad. Also go get some exercise! I'll burn some of those calories and make you feel better, too.

We have all been there and done that. Just keep at it.
  • LilGiselle21
    LilGiselle21 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Don't let it get too you it happens. Are you eating food that'll fill you up I tend to eat 1/2 a serving of oatmeal and that helps me get that full feeling. Do. Your eat your exercise calories back? Have you already worked out for today?
  • Ttrishaa
    Ttrishaa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has already said. Track it and move on, but don't dwell on it and get discouraged. Just try and use it as a learning experience.

When I first started I was regularly going way over on my calories, but I cringed and recorded it and tried my best to remember that next time I am thinking about overeating. Or I try to get in a little extra exercise to at least help out my deficit a little bit.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    cry about it
  • Insangelous
    Options
    Don't let it get too you it happens. Are you eating food that'll fill you up I tend to eat 1/2 a serving of oatmeal and that helps me get that full feeling. Do. Your eat your exercise calories back? Have you already worked out for today?

It's almost midnight where I live, so yeah. Danced for 1½ hour and I didn't eat back before my binge, but now I did.
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Breathe. Focus. Tell myself tomorrow a new day, brush my teeth, find something to keep busy.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Log it, shake it off and try to do some damage control over the next couple days. In the end it comes down to your weekly total. I am usually able to average out a binge at the end of the week.
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I must admit that at a certain point I stop tracking as it just makes me feel bad about myself and I don't think that helps as I then think I'm useless/ might as well give up completely etc etc.

When I slip, I try as hard as possible to start afresh asap, if I binge in the morning I try to start again in the afternoon, if its the evening I start the new day afresh.

Hugs, it feels awful :-(
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    We all go way over from time to time, just make sure you get right back on track tomorrow.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    800!!!! Ha, I've done like 1500 before! We all have a bad day from time to time. What to do - Don't beat yourself up about. And decide that right now, at this very moment you're right back on track no looking back!
  • Insangelous
    Options
    I must admit that at a certain point I stop tracking as it just makes me feel bad about myself and I don't think that helps as I then think I'm useless/ might as well give up completely etc etc.

When I slip, I try as hard as possible to start afresh asap, if I binge in the morning I try to start again in the afternoon, if its the evening I start the new day afresh.

Hugs, it feels awful :-(

I didn't want to log it in, but I did anyway. I count calories anyway - out of old habits or whatever, can't stop, so I knew that I was eating a massive amount, but it's just... crazy. It makes me so sad. But thanks, really!
  • lauraOOOO
    lauraOOOO Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    don't let it turn into 2 days, 3 days, a week etc. just put it behind you and start fresh asap.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Log it as best you can and try to learn from it. This isn't about being perfect, it's about being peristent. Try to drink some extra water and burn some extra calories tomorrow. Look at your weekly report and see where you stand. It's probably not as bad as you think.

Keep in mind that your MFP goal reflects approximately -500 from a level of intake that would be maintenance. You might be over today, but that doesn't mean that all is lost. Worst case, you maintained today.

All you can do from here is move on. Bad days happen to everyone!
  • bigtone34
    bigtone34 Posts: 136
    Options
    Yep, what has already been said. Get back on track tomorrow.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Wanna know the secret to not caring about going over once in awhile?

Stop caring about going over once in awhile...

Hell last week I ate ridiculous amounts of junk food all week...If you check my blog on my profile you'll see a list of it all. I was like a junkie on a druge binge...but I'm back at it this week and I don't feel guilty at all. Sh** happens and it equalled out to very little in terms of my overall progress.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I heard Sabotage is a good method. When you feel satisfied with what you ate do something to the rest of the food that will make you not want to eat it. Spill coke on it or throw it away. See if that helps.