When do you drink your protien shake?

Options
stephl81
stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
Do you drink it after every workout or only on days you lift? I’m currently doing lifting three days a week and cardio twice a week. I really only want to drink my protein powder after I lift, mainly b/c I wanna conserve the powder to make it last as long as possible. That stuff is expensive!! Or do you think Im losing out by doing that and should drink it after every time I work out regardless if its lifting or cardio?

Replies

• simplyblessed89
    Options
    I drink protein shakes right after any of my workouts (cardiovascular OR weight lifting). I tend to get my workouts in towards lunch or dinner time, so I'll basically have that as a light meal. The benefit of having a protein shake after a workout is that you have a "window of opportunity" where your body can best absorb nutrients and protein is needed for muscles and to burn fat. You can certainly only drink it after lifting - whenever you do it is an extra boost towards your goals.

Which protein powder do you use? I've loved Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein that you can get at supermarkets for about $15 for 2lbs. Check out Vitacost.com too. You can get $10 just for signing up, making protein powder pretty cheap! ;)

HTH! :)
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    one in the morning when I wake up, one after both my workouts, and a casein shake before bed
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    I drink one after I workout in the morning whether I'm doing weights or cardio and 1 more in the day - if I'm feeling a bit hungry mid afternoon I'll have one then but if not then I'll have one when I have a snack attack in the evening to get rid of cravings.
  • pgr22
    pgr22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    one in the morning when I wake up, one after both my workouts, and a casein shake before bed

Why the casein shake? What are the benefits of it?
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I drink mine first thing in the morning before a workout. I use a recovery protein for after workouts and only when I lift weights.
  • TransducerX
    Options

Casein is a slower-digesting protein source than whey so that if you drink one before bed it sort of drip-feeds your body protein as you sleep.
  • pgr22
    pgr22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Casein is a slower-digesting protein source than whey so that if you drink one before bed it sort of drip-feeds your body protein as you sleep.
    Hmmmmm thanks for the explanation
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Which protein powder do you use? I've loved Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein that you can get at supermarkets for about $15 for 2lbs. Check out Vitacost.com too. You can get $10 just for signing up, making protein powder pretty cheap! ;)

My friend and I just split a 4lb container of Max Muscle Maxpro Whey vanilla protein powder for $53 (after tax). I have tried "generics" sold at Walmart but wanted something "real" whatever that means, i dont even know lol. Im looking for something thats cheap, low cal, low sugar and carb and high protein. hehe where can i fnd that???
  • adamlb
    adamlb Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, after any workout, and maybe a half-shake before something like yoga as I won't have eaten for a while. If I'm way under on calories by bedtime I'll have one then too.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I try to get my wife to drink a protien shake every night. Of course, she doesn't. :angry:
  • msbengineer
    msbengineer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    BWAHAHAHA
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options

Heheh love the drip feed analogy!

I need to buy more casein
  • msbengineer
    msbengineer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I try to get my wife to drink a protien shake every night. Of course, she doesn't. :angry:
    HAHAHAHA
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Straight after training either cardio or strength and on my rest day as my mid morning snack with a oats bar high in carbohydrates.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Right after a workout.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    One at 10 am, another at 4pm, prework out 6:40ish and one after I work out
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

My condolences. :glasses:
  • chusheto1
    chusheto1 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi Steph

I take a serving of protein 5-10 minutes before workout and a protein/carbs mix (Optimum Nutrition's AfterMax) immediately after workout, and have seen very good results. The main difference I notice is in the time it takes my body to recover. I used to have a strong Monday workout and gradually getting worse over the week. Now, I don't experience this any more.

K, so that was what I do. Here is what "the Internet" says. :) You should take protein when you wake up to make sure your body is not left without. You should take protein before workout, after workout, and before going to bed. But, I am with you, taking that much protein would ruin me. Plus that either means taking half servings, or not getting any protein with my regular food, which won't work for me (the protein shakes do nothing to satisfy my hunger).

Some of the best deals on protein are online. I am not associated and do not profit from any of this sites, but I find sbmuscle.com and amazon.com to have some of the best prices. I would not bother buying protein locally unless it is on sale from Costco or Walmart, and that is only if your body can tolerate the brands they sell. I have found that most "discount" brands give me stomachaches after a week or two of use. If you don't have the same problem, Costco carries a 10 lb (i believe) bag that is made by the same guys that make MuscleMilk. It has decent taste, mixes ok, and the price is good. BodyFortress (Walmart's brand) also runs cheap. Never tried it. GNC and 24 Hour fitness sell the protein at MSRP, which is a joke, because the MSRP is often twice the online price.

If you want the "real" stuff, I would go with Optimum Nutrition at a minimum. Gaspari makes some very good proteins too. Since these two work for me, I have not bothered with other brands since.

"The window of opportunity" that someone mentioned refers mainly to carb intake. It is as important, if not more important, that you take carbs after work out to replenish the glycogen in your liver.

The poor man's replacement for casein is milk. Protein in milk is about 80% of casein and 20% of whey. The best part about casein is, that mixing it with whey protein slows down the absorption of the whey protein too. So in theory a glass of milk with your cheap whey protein is the same as taking the more expensive casein.

Hope this helps. I know every time I decide to research the topic my head starts spinning.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I just picked it up so I only had it to try today but my plan is to use it on days I don't get enough protein. Real food otherwise.
  • SlimSammy2012
    SlimSammy2012 Posts: 893
    Options
    I am actually drinkning two shakes a day. Once for Breakfast and one for lunch. Started working out yesterday. Weight trained with a little cardio...