Cutting down on Carbs. Good Substitutes?

Options
Hello, I am trying to cut down on my carb intake, and I am wonder what are some good alternatives. Let me know if you know! Thanks!

Replies

• shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Green veggies (kale, spinach, seaweed, broccoli etc) & fruits & nuts :happy:
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I make a meal out of stir fry veggies, but I steam them & top with chicken breast strips & mango salsa
  • Bdde
    Bdde Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have a huge weakness on salty chips so instead i munch of turkey pepperoni and cheese.

I make quiches in muffin tins and pop two in the microwave in the a.m. for breakfast. I usually make these on Sunday and eat them all week.

If i want something sweet- sugar free jello

Up the protein
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Instead of having a sandwich make it "open faced" and double the meat. I like to do chicken or egg salad on a piece of toast.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I use rice cakes a lot, you can put savoury or sweet things on them, only 7g of carbs each and you feel your having a carby treat x
  • shorvitz45
    shorvitz45 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower is an awesome substitute for mashed potatoes and rice.

Here's a recipe I really like: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1356203768/garlic-cauliflower-mashed-potatoes

You can also substitute spaghetti squash for pasta. I eat mine with marinara sauce and really enjoy it.

Hope this helps!
  • jwusch
    jwusch Posts: 4
    Options
    Cauliflower as a substitute in Mac n Cheese. This recipie is awesome.. http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/rqcap/keto_mac_n_cheese/

Lots of recipes here for a low carb lifestyle:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/

J
  • rsparks38
    rsparks38 Posts: 51
    Options
    I like to roast cauliflower in the oven with sea salt, paprika and shredded sharp cheddar until the cheese looks lightly browned and bubbly. I also slice zucchini like fries and bake with sea salt, or I put a bunch of mushrooms in a foil packet and bake. Hmmm.... I also like baked sliced portabella mushroom caps (roasted) or unsliced caps with spinach and some kind of cheese inside. Cold sliced cucumbers with a little salad dressing mixed up with them are also good.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    proteins and good fats
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I make little quiches and baked omelettes in muffin cases too. Also as above, up your veggie intake, so that you are eating protein with a ton a veggies, I get really full like this. Cauliflower has become one of my staples, mashed with a little butter and milk instead of potatoes, or cooked and chopped in place of rice, I even do lovely pilau style cauli rice to go with a chicken and veggie curry.

You might find some useful ideas here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-substitute/#axzz1v4UInZf9
    there are loads of good recipe sites on the internet as well as some here on mfp.
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am trying to cut down on my carb intake, and I am wonder what are some good alternatives. Let me know if you know! Thanks!

Carbs are a macronutrient, so if you are cutting out carbs but want to maintain the same calorie intake, you will have to replace the carbs with either protein or fat.
  • AliseIrvine
    AliseIrvine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Chicken, Feta, Salad Mix, Eggbeaters, Low-Fat Cheeses, Sugar-Free Jello, Veggies....my low-carb main-stays!
    Before you know it, you wont miss carbs, but just remember the rule of simple over complex! The evil guy is sugar.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Quinoa for rice and quinoa pasta for white/wheat pasta (still has carbs but is a seed rather than a grain).
    "Light" salami instead of chips
    Laughing cow cheese wedges
    Celery with no-sugar-added natural PB
    Celery with light cream cheese
    Celery, red bell pepper, cucumber & hummus
    Almonds, cashews & pistachios
    Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries for other fruits
    Cauliflower for mashed potatoes and potato gratin
    Actually any vegetable covered or dipped in cheese sauce :bigsmile:
    Shiritaki noodles, if you don't have a problem with soy
    Fried mushrooms, zucchini, green beans, asparagus

I could literally do this all day. Make sure you eat lots of veggies when you're low carbing or you'll get.... um .... backed up. :embarassed:
  • St3mm3r
    St3mm3r Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    bump
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower is an awesome substitute for mashed potatoes and rice.

Here's a recipe I really like: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1356203768/garlic-cauliflower-mashed-potatoes

You can also substitute spaghetti squash for pasta. I eat mine with marinara sauce and really enjoy it.

Hope this helps!

And it makes fantastic "pizza crust" even my father ate it.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    i will routinely brown a pound of 95% lean ground beef and eat it right out of the pan.............carb free