week 1-gained 3 pounds

Options
I just started a week ago. I have made some changes to my diet. Mostly eating less and making some substitutions, like fruit in the morning instead of doughnuts. It is finals week, so I only got in a few workouts. I know I could have done better and will, but I at least made an effort.

Had my first weigh in today, and I gained 3 pounds. Granted, I did start my TOTM today, but I was expecting to see the numbers go the other way.

On the plus side, in the past I would have gone out and "eaten" my frustration. Instead, I stuck to my original plan for lunch and didn't overdo it. Starting next week, I will be able to get a workout in every day. Wish me luck!

Replies

• xcrunnergirl13
    xcrunnergirl13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Maybe food weight? Fresh fruit weighs a lot more in your stomach than a doughnut. When do you weight yourself?
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Never, ever weigh around TOM
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Maybe food weight? Fresh fruit weighs a lot more in your stomach than a doughnut. When do you weight yourself?

Just before lunch. About 4 hours after eating breakfast.
  • s_jane
    s_jane Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congrats for not giving up on your diet! It can be so frustrating to see that number go up. But 3 lbs could very easily be from your TOTM. You can get that kind of change over the course of a day regardless. Just stick to it, and you'll start seeing changes.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    what do you mean by eating less? Is it less in general or less processed/sugary foods. Your doing great by making healthier choices such as fruit instead of doughnuts. Maybe to start the day try some protein like eggs, or cottage cheese, or whip up an omelette with lots of veggies and top with some shredded cheese. Also, what's your water intake like? Try drinking lots of water to curb hunger and flush out toxins in your body. It also rehydrates you so that you don't mistake thirst for hunger. Your off to a great start, even with it being TOM.
  • RLDeShazo
    Options
    what do you mean by eating less? Is it less in general or less processed/sugary foods. Your doing great by making healthier choices such as fruit instead of doughnuts. Maybe to start the day try some protein like eggs, or cottage cheese, or whip up an omelette with lots of veggies and top with some shredded cheese. Also, what's your water intake like? Try drinking lots of water to curb hunger and flush out toxins in your body. It also rehydrates you so that you don't mistake thirst for hunger. Your off to a great start, even with it being TOM.

Eating less in general. And cutting out snacks and such. Hunger usually isn't a major problem for me, as I don't eat because I'm hungry. I eat because I'm bored, tired, upset, happy, stressed, whatever. My water intake definately needs some work. Haven't quite given up my diet sodas yet, although I have cut them out in the evenings.
  • Breezy415
    Breezy415 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh yourself at the same time on Day 1? I can easily be up 4lbs at night vs the morning. I always weigh myself in the morning after I pee before I get changed (So i'm always in undies too...what clothes you're wearing can change your weight A LOT too!) hang in there, I'm sure if you are at TOM too that's a huge factor, give it a week or two you'll see change :-)
  • RLDeShazo
    Options
    Did you weigh yourself at the same time on Day 1? I can easily be up 4lbs at night vs the morning. I always weigh myself in the morning after I pee before I get changed (So i'm always in undies too...what clothes you're wearing can change your weight A LOT too!) hang in there, I'm sure if you are at TOM too that's a huge factor, give it a week or two you'll see change :-)

It was pretty much the same time of day. I wish I could weigh first thing in the morning, but for now I have to weigh in at the gym. My scale at home just gives me an error, although it is supposed to go up to 400 pounds. I guess since I am close to that, it doesn't want to work.
  • RLDeShazo
    Options
    Well, off to the gym for a workout. I will definitely increase my water intake.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Never, ever weigh around TOM
    This!! 3 pounds gain around TOM is NOTHING for me.... Wait a week, go on eating well and look again....
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    watch your sodium intake, drinks tons of water and wait it out - it's probably just your TOM + sodium which both make our bodies retain a ton of water. keep up with healthy habits (home cooked meals, not microwave ones...fresh veggies... low sodium) and at least 8 glasses of water a day, and i'm sure the scales will be dramatically in your favor.
    last week, i had a ton of sodium in food and my weight was up 2 lbs. this week, after a couple days of low sodium and water and mindful food choices, i'm down 1.2 lbs (3.2 lbs from when my weight was up).
    good luck!
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    You're working out, too?

You're always going to gain a little before you drop it when you work out.

Also Aunt Flo will take some water with her when she leaves.

It's going to take a little while to get things going! PLEASE don't give up!

Are you eating on a schedule or anything like that? I eat every 2 hours from 8am to 6pm.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    you should never weigh during TOM. You retain water and as you can see the scale reads that as weight gain.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You should always weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you use the bathroom. Your weight fluctuates alot during the day. Get a scales that measures body fat, it is a better indicator of how you are doing than weight and make sure you measure yourself. Good luck.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself in the morning before getting dressed. I have had up to a 3 lb difference depending on what time of day I weigh myself. Are you measuring your food? I found that I was way off on my estimates of portions, so I started measuring my food and it has helped. Also, I agree with the others, it could definitely be from your TOM.
  • adelineclarke
    Options
    Don't get on a scale for about a month, I am a slow loser that's why I stay off of the scale, people have this obsession with getting on that scale every other day, it's not about how much you weigh but how you feel, remember muscle weighs more then fat , so as you start building muscle you might not loose every week, but I can guaranty that you will loose inches and drop a few sizes in a few months, hang in there and stay off of the scale, trust me
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If you have a scale available at home - weigh first thing in the a.m. - after a potty trip but before showering and dressing. If you weigh after you've eaten or with clothes on (since all of our clothes weigh different amounts) you won't get a true weight.

Good job on not freaking out...next week should be much better!
  • Hunthiller
    Hunthiller Posts: 1
    Options
    bad time to weigh in!!!! I'll bet you in 3-4 days you will drop that. It's not fair!!
  • RLDeShazo
    Options
    I currently can't weigh in at home, so first thing in the morning isn't an option at the moment. My scale says it measures up to 400 pounds, but it always gives me an error. I weigh a little less than that, so I guess I am just too close at the moment.

It has been a little over a week since my initial weigh in. I know better than to weigh every day. :)
  • ashlysnd
    ashlysnd Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Don't get on a scale for about a month, I am a slow loser that's why I stay off of the scale, people have this obsession with getting on that scale every other day, it's not about how much you weigh but how you feel, remember muscle weighs more then fat , so as you start building muscle you might not loose every week, but I can guaranty that you will loose inches and drop a few sizes in a few months, hang in there and stay off of the scale, trust me

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound, whether its fat, muscle, or water. Muscle is denser tho, taking up less space than fat. I suggest that you measure yourself, as that is a more accurate way to gauge your progress. Good luck to you!