belly fat

Options
Hi! I am pretty new to this site. I have been logging my food daily and have seen a difference already. I started trying to lose weight (seriously this time) in January when I entered a contest. By the middle of March I had lost 7 pounds. My problem is that I seem to be losing it everywhere but where I need to most. When I was pregnant with my son (who is 2 now) I only gained 15 pounds but it was all in my lower stomach. I can't seem to get rid of that part. Any suggestions?

Replies

• audrap80
    audrap80 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi! I am pretty new to this site. I have been logging my food daily and have seen a difference already. I started trying to lose weight (seriously this time) in January when I entered a contest. By the middle of March I had lost 7 pounds. My problem is that I seem to be losing it everywhere but where I need to most. When I was pregnant with my son (who is 2 now) I only gained 15 pounds but it was all in my lower stomach. I can't seem to get rid of that part. Any suggestions?
  • magari14
    magari14 Posts: 9
    Options
    concentrate a large portion of your workout on your core. and, if you're aware of your core and try to keep it tight throughout the day...like, when you're driving or sitting down...you can help tighten it and work on that area.
  • momondago
    Options
    "The Dreaded Baby Belly", don't fret girl, you are not alone. I think healthy weight loss comes off all over your body and targeting a specific area is tough. I'm gonna whisper an awful word "situps". I know I have goosebumps, how about you? It is probably my least favorite exercise. It's either that or control tops. I'm leaning towards control tops, I hate situps that much. :) Don't give up, it'll come. Usually the one place you want to lose weight is the last place it comes off but it will.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Bellydance is an excellent exercise, not only for your belly, but for your entire body...it is a combination of cardio and toning, plus, it is just so much fun...You can take lessons in your community if available...live instruction is the ultimate fun and a good way to network with other women...if you take classes, you can practice/drill the moves at home to your own music for half an hour or so and you'll have your cardio plus toning...or you can practice at home to instructional or workout bellydance DVDs...there are so many good ones available!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    please read the posts in here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

some of these articles address this issue.

The specific thing is FILO (a concept from science in general) it means, first in last out.
    I.E. fat is burned from the places easiest to reach first (or the last fat to be added) and then the body works back to the older fat in order of age (generally, this is an oversimplification, but it's pretty much how fat is burned)

So area's where you have older fat or fat that is particularly cut off from the blood supply is the hardest fat to lose. Unfortunately there is no way to target fat loss. Working the core won't remove fat from your stomach faster then other parts of the body, but it will tighten up the muscles there so that when that fat is gone, you will already have a nice, firm muscle base.
  • dluvscoke
    Options
    Doing crunches and other ab exercies will strengthen your core muscles, however, the best way to lose fat is to burn it by doing cardio. Working up a sweat not only burns fat but it is good for your heart and it flushes impurities from skin and pores:)