Getting closer to goal - do I need to slow down my loss?

Options
Hello,

I'm relatively new to MFP, so I would really appreciate some input into how I'm going and what I should be aiming for weight loss wise.

Stats
Age - 26
Height - 170cm (5ft 7in)
Current weight - 67.4kg (148.5 lbs)
Goal weight - 60kg (132 lbs)
BMR - 1450 (according to MFP)
TDEE - 1950 (according to MFP)

I have already lost roughly 35 kgs, some of which was before MFP. I found out that I wasn't eating enough when I got to MFP and I've been really enjoying using the site. I should've cottoned on to this before because I remember over Christmas I ate more (but I was still reasonable, just what I'd let myself eat for Christmas usually instead of binging like I may have done in years previous) but I actually had a substantial loss over the next 3 or so weeks. I deliberately didn't weigh myself during Christmas but was pleasantly surprised a few weeks later... so I guess upping the calories actually worked but I didn't put two and two together at the time!

Over the last couple of weeks my calories have increased a bit because of it being the business end of the uni semester and I'm just a bit tired and time poor. I'm still exercising and still aiming to get all my veges and other good nutrients in, but I'm being a bit more forgiving in terms of treating myself during this period and I'm just plain old eating more. I still managed to lose 300grams this week.

My usual exercise routine is the following
- 3 x running sessions from 30min - 50min (it's my preferred form of exercise and I'm in training for an 8km run in August - my first ever run!!!)
- 2 or 3 strength training sessions (upper/lower split). I aim to get 3 in on most weeks.
- 1 or 2 sessions of intervals on the treadmill to work on my speed
- plus walking the dogs for 1 hour, 4 - 5 days per week

My goal weight is just an estimate really, I'm more concerned about having a healthy body fat % and feeling strong and staying active. It may change when I get there or I may decide I'm happy before I get there. It remains to be seen.

My question is, coming closer to maintenance... should I look at increasing my calories again? Look at losing 1/2 pound a week instead? I guess in the back of my head the idea of maintenance is a little worrying because I've never done it before. Losing I've got under control... but can I keep it off?

What did you all do getting closer to maintenance?

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Slow down? Why? Unless you are rocking the weights to define, get to your goals. If you are happy with it, move to maintenance. If not, set new goals and continue to achieve
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    Because I am worried if I switch straight to maintenance I'll gain again. I'm certainly happy to keep going as per the plan because it sure is working right now. :)
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    bump

I'm getting close to and wondered the same.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You are almost there

Set yourself to lose half a pound a week to maintain as much muscles as possible.

Good job
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I am of the school of thought that as one approaches their weight goal, their calorie deficit should approach 0. That gives you a smooth transition into maintenance rather than an abrupt change.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Maybe try & zig zag your days? Eat at maintenance 1 day & defecit the next... if defecit is to lose 1 lb per week then it's pretty much the same as setting to half pound loss but with a zag LOL.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions. I'll try experiment with a 1/2 pound loss per week and see how that goes.

If I've learned one thing from this weight loss experience, it is that there is no rush and never one right answer. Or in other words, sometimes you need to try something out and give your body some time to give you the feedback.

I'm glad that there is a school of thought that if getting closer to goal you may need to decrease the deficit because I was worried about the switch. And then I immediately thought I could be over-thinking things. :)

Zig zag may also work as well because some days I'm simply hungrier than other days. And sometimes it doesn't matter if I've done exercise or not?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I am of the school of thought that as one approaches their weight goal, their calorie deficit should approach 0. That gives you a smooth transition into maintenance rather than an abrupt change.
    What Taso said. Also, in my view, when you are closer to goal, your goal should be about body compostiion not weight. With weight loss you can lose lean muscle mass too. With working on body composition you are working on keeping you lean mass and just losing fat. Weight becomes immaterial and body compostion becomes the focus. I don't realy care what I weigh if my body fat is below 15% and I have a good shape.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

If Taso42 recommends it then that is the way that I will go. I've seen enough of his postings to know he talks sense and his advice is good.