Morning Workouts and Breakfast

galena79
galena79 Posts: 13 Member
Hey guys, so I am one of those people that HAS to eat before working out in the morning because otherwise it's just not pretty... wondering what everyone eats for a pre-workout breakfast? Also... do you many of you actually get up super early to eat and workout before work in the morning?? Thanks!!

Replies

• RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    I love to get up and hit the treadmill at 5am. Wish I could eat first, but the minute I eat I feel defeated (stupid mind set, but hard to overcome). So I do a couple of miles then eat some fruit & yogurt or oatmeal with nuts & raisins.
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Banana with a smear of peanut butter (1 TBS). A handful of strawberries and 5oz of orange juice for the quick carbs and some peanut butter on a spoon (1TBS, again). If you like bread (personally not a huge fan of it anymore) then a slice of bread with some preserves and a glass of milk. Just light, easy things that don't take a whole lot of energy to digest and gives a little sticking power and simple carbs for energy.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    I also have to eat something before working out in the morning, otherwise I feel like passing out.
    I have a smaller breakfast (about 300 cal. worth) of cereal/oatmeal with milk, yogurt and granola or bread with peanutbutter, always add some fruit and a cup of coffee.
    I work out about 1 hour after breakfast.
  • kayla1025
    kayla1025 Posts: 104 Member
    I usually eat about 30-60mins before working out in the morning. Ill have oatmeal with protein powder mixed in and some fruit. Or egg whites wraped with sliced turkey in a tortilla.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    I always eat a Banana before I workout in the morning because they don't upset my stomach and they taste good :smile:

(P.S usually eat 30-60 minutes before my workout and drinks lots of water before hand)
  • Jeliwood
    Jeliwood Posts: 61
    I prefer working out in the midmorning, midafternoon. So, I have to eat or I'll pass out lol or get really mean. I'll work out about an hour and half after breakfast or lunch and if it's much more after that I'll have a small carby snack before. Wheat bread with peanut butter and a banana. Something along those lines.
  • I always eat something small before I work out in the morning. Usually, it's 3 egg whites scrambled with chopped onions, broccoli, bell peppers, and mushrooms or 4oz of non-fat greek yogurt with mixed fruit. It's not a good idea to eat a whole lot of fat or fiber before your work-out (nuts, granola, oatmeal) because they take much longer to digest than simple carbohydrates and protein. And, therefore may cause cramps or discomfort.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    I eat a bowl of special k with vanilla soy milk, and 1/2 tsp of hemp before zumba.

If I don't put the hemp on it, then when I'm swimming laps my tummy is growling. I usually stay at the gym 3 hours, once I get there.
  • ChristySeeksBalance
    ChristySeeksBalance Posts: 43 Member
    Overnight oats. It's the only thing that gives me enough energy to get through my work outs, yet is super easy to digest so I can eat it right before I leave for the gym and not be burping it the whole time.

Then I have a cup of cottage cheese afterwards, because otherwise I'm startving the rest of the day.

Overnight Oats:
    1/3 cup oatmeal
    1/3 cup yogurt
    1/3 cup milk
    1 Tbs chia seeds
    pinch of salt
    couple shakes of cinnamon

Mix it up the night before, then eat it straight out of the fridge in the morning. (no cooking, no heating)
  • cr8lace
    cr8lace Posts: 4 Member
    I am having to eat before my morning workout. I am finding I need to eat a little something when I am done. I have been looking at Protein Bars. Not sure if there is one that is better than any of the others. There seems to be a wide range of them. Does anyone have any advice on them.
  • Blueyedtine
    Blueyedtine Posts: 52 Member
    Overnight oats. It's the only thing that gives me enough energy to get through my work outs, yet is super easy to digest so I can eat it right before I leave for the gym and not be burping it the whole time.

Then I have a cup of cottage cheese afterwards, because otherwise I'm startving the rest of the day.

Overnight Oats:
    1/3 cup oatmeal
    1/3 cup yogurt
    1/3 cup milk
    1 Tbs chia seeds
    pinch of salt
    couple shakes of cinnamon

Mix it up the night before, then eat it straight out of the fridge in the morning. (no cooking, no heating)

Yes! I but don't add salt, I add frozen fruit and loooooove it!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    i eat 2 hours before i work-out. i eat carbs, small amount of fat, meat (protein) dairy and a veggie or fruit.
    a sample might be, whole grain tortilla filled with an egg, ham, cheese & tomatoes/onion with a banana on the side. i canNOT work out without eating first. i would pass-out for sure!
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    I don't like to eat before working out because it makes my tummy ache from exertion and it feels like stuff is sloshing around when I run, but my nutritionist pursuaded me to eat a reduced fat cheese stick(70cals) and a half cup of coffee with skim milk and I am tolerating it OK. My work out is running 5-7 miles plus an hour in the pool. I take 1 or 2 liters of water also during work out. I eat a small breakfast 150-200 cal afterwards