Coconut Oil

Options
Hi was just wondering if anyone has ever had this, its suppose to promote weight loss with having other great effects. Thanks.

Replies

• tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    Hi was just wondering if anyone has ever had this, its suppose to promote weight loss with having other great effects. Thanks.

It's supposed to have many beneficial properties. I use it as a cooking oil, but it's very calorie dense, so make sure you track it appropriately. It won't magically cause you to lose 20 lb of fat. It oxidizes at a fairly high heat so that makes it useful for cooking.

I introduced it some time ago in an effort to raise my HDL levels. Haven't retested since so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness in my case.

Give it a try, but remember to track it's calorie content like everything else.
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a thread (topic) or two already about coconut oil.

I use it for cooking, and include a teaspoon in a cup of tea, sometimes up to three times a day.

I also use it as a face and body moisturiser as well as a pre wash hair conditioner (use the night before and wash the next morning, do not use a bought hair conditioner).

I haven't done this myself but apparently it works - oil pulling...google it. You may also want to include the word tooth or teeth in the search.

Edited to add, I just used the mfp search link using coconut oil and there were quite a number of posts if you want to go back and look at them
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking, in my hair sometimes, and as a body oil after showers. I'm not sure if there's any additional benefit though. I just love the smell and taste
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have been using a coconut oil "butter" lately. it tastes really good, and doesn't have carbs or fats in it. I have used coconut oil for cooking in the past, but it tends to melt at a very low temp.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    I have been using a coconut oil "butter" lately. it tastes really good, and doesn't have carbs or fats in it. I have used coconut oil for cooking in the past, but it tends to melt at a very low temp.

It melts at a low temp, but it's solid at room temperature, so it actually melts at a higher temp than olive oil, canola oil etc. It can stand fairly high heat so it's good for frying, although other oils are better for really high temp cooking (but probably aren't as healthy).
  • DaChozn
    DaChozn Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Excuse my ignorance, but how does coconut oil butter not have fats? No carbs, yes that's believable, but no fat?
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Excuse my ignorance, but how does coconut oil butter not have fats? No carbs, yes that's believable, but no fat?

Yeah, that must have been a typo. Coconut butter is like 90% fat
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Yeah, that must have been a typo. Coconut butter is like 90% fat

oh yeah ... coconut oil is um, fat. Anyway, I use this for cooking and blend it with ghee for a butter flavor. You should know it's solid below about 70F temp and does not have to refrigerated--it's a very stable oil and won't go rancid like other fats. Look for expeller pressed if you are wary of a coconut-ty flavor in your food.