HELP! --Chinese Buffet

Options
I have a work meeting tonight at a Chinese Buffet over dinner. I am having a hard time figuring out what to eat there without totally blowing my whole day. I don't want to use this as a cheat meal. Our local buffet tends to have either plain fried chicken (like they use for sweet and sour only without the sauce) or chicken and vegetables that aren't fried but are soaking in heavy sauces with tons of sugar and sodium (and calories). I'm already planning to leave out the rice, but want to be able to partake in the meal with my coworkers without going crazy.

Wondering if anybody can recommend any foods or combinations that won't spike my calorie, carb, and fat contents. ...and how to log/track it as accurately as possible. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I was never a fan of Chinese food to begin with but.... whole grain rice is fine, choose as many vegetables as you can (although the buffets here all look like vegies have been cooked in oil), and drink a TON of water. Have as much water as you can before the meeting, during the meal and after. Chinese food is high in sodium so you want to flush that out. Chicken is usually a good choice as well although it depends on the sauce on it too. I think the key is small portions and LOTS of water both today and tomorrow.
  • janinermt
    janinermt Posts: 15
    Options
    be strong! but you have to understand that life happens! Stick to veggies and chicken, lots of water and chew gum or a mint right away, don't go back for second or third helpings and skip desert......take an extra long walk today....do something to burn the extra calories
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    chinese buffets... ew. If it were me, I'd eat a small portion of the healthiest thing I could find just to be "social" and then go eat somewhere else afterwards.

(based on the chinese buffets we have here, most are not fit for human consumption!)
  • sid719e
    sid719e Posts: 47
    Options
    The last time I was at a Chinese buffet, they brought me the chicken with no sauce and some steamed broccoli. It doesn't hurt to ask.
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    You can get the seefood, like fish, shrimp crab etc. That's not bad. The broccoli and other veggies would be healthy. The only problem if they cook it in a lot of butter. Also you can never go wrong with some sushi. That's always a good option. Just don't get the crunch rolls which are very sweet.

We have two "Chinese" Buffet restaurants where I live with decent sushi bars, not all "Chinese" buffets may offer sushi.

Limit yourself to only one plate, or one main meal plate and the second plate for dessert, which of course would be fruit.

There is a way to stick to diets at buffets, just takes control.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Any chinese buffet I've been to has a salad bar too. So I'd go there. Then have a few pieces of chicken. You can always enjoy a little and just work extra hard at tomorrow's workout.
  • Gr8nurs1271
    Gr8nurs1271 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wonton soup and the salad bar! Drink a lot of water and tea also! Go for the steamed veggies and sometimes you can even order off the menu and not even go near the buffet! Ask! Can't hurt!