My Befores and Afters

Options
So... unfortunately, after 5 weeks of running 2x/week and strength training 2x/week (in addition to watching my cals, and saving splurges to the weekends) I am left with really no difference (at least not that I can see!). I have no idea why I am plateauing so hard. I look exactly the same! Not trying to be negative- I know I need to keep on keepin' on, it can just get frustrating when you see little to no results. Any input here? Thanks guys- lord knows this would have been 10x harder without my MFPals support.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhb15o5skyr7xlc/Progression Weeks 1-5.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bf2vjf59zlacsxa/Week 1 vs. Week 5.JPG

Replies

• RobsGirl73
    RobsGirl73 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Has your friends or fam say you look different. Sometimes looking at ourselves we can't see.
  • fatforthewin
    Options
    I see a difference. Your legs are closer together in the week 5 pictures than in the week 1 pictures but the size of the space between your legs is the same in the week 1 and week 5 pictures. Also, you look more "solid" (for lack of a better word) in the week 5 pictures...less dimpling. Virtual high-five, girl!

What sort of diet are you using?
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hey there it took me about 8 weeks to see a difference and for the weight to drop off. Also what are you eating? I noticed that my lil splurge here or the meals I would eat weren't very healthy. I was skimping on eating healthy and thats very important. Now that I eat salads and stay on track with my intake of fat and sugars i am seeing a loss. Also my thighs look feel jiggly but when i stretch i have some musde now!
  • dentedearmuffs1
    Options
    I'm in your same boat. I'm six weeks in and lost 13 pounds. I have a very small frame at 5' short and so I thought 13 pounds lost would be visibly noticeable to at least myself, but I can't really see any difference. The only thing that lets me know something is working is that my rings are falling off my fingers, but of course, that's not at all the body part I've been working on so hard to lose.

But all I know is I just have to keep on going and you can too - congrats on your success so far! I've seen a lot of people around here say it took a really long time for them to notice, sometimes 20+ pounds and up. I understand your frustration, and hopefully we'll see something in the near future.
  • JessYas
    JessYas Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @ Miapic: Hmmm.. when I lost the first 10 lbs (about a year ago) YES! Everyone noticed and it was awesome. However I am still at that same weight, and have been for months. Haven't gotten any comments since then. I know when you get compliments it's the real deal :)
    @FatForTheWin Thanks! It's nice to hear- I think I need an objective eye- the more I stare at something, the less I can really "see" it, you know? Anyway my diet is kind of self-created- I stay at 1500 cals/day, that's a 1/2lb definict per week (the full 1 lb was way too low, i was starving!) and I eat oatmeal (with great, nutritious fillings) for breakfast, and homemade meals/leftovers for lunch and dinner (often whole wheat pasta with a vegan sauce, or quinoa with vegetables or a stew). I am a pretty "clean" eater, other than my weekend drinks. The only desserts I allow myself are smoothies and yogurt/granola deals, so my sugars not that bad either! Anyway, I'm not sure what's going to kick-start my body into weight-loss mode again, but I'm confident I'll figure it out.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    In your case I would suggest heavy strength training. :) that should fix that problem relatively quickly.
  • JessYas
    Options
    @rainbowbow I am strength training 2-3x per week, full body. There's a trainer at the gym that's helping to guide me... but other than that im on my own. I feel sore (as I up my weight) so I know i'm doing something right, and sometimes i even feel stronger- I just don't LOOK any different! So frustrating.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Trust me I know! It can be frustrating- but, assuming this is a lifestyle change, you have forever to get your perfect "dream body" . Until then hard work and dedication are the only things you can do. You just can't give up or lose the motivation. If you start to think about it negatively then you aren't going to get the results you want.

Think about the things you can do now that you couldn't before... I'm sure there's something to be proud of!

As far as fat loss is concerned.... What are your calorie goals/macros set to?
  • JessYas
    Options
    @Rainbowbow- I am at 1500 c alories/day (it's a 1/2lb definicit because the full lb was starving me). I go over on the weekends. Sometimes a lot- and I realize that's bad and probably sets me back for the entire week- but i also don't want so stop living my life, which also includes beers by the beach and f*&king ice cream once in awhile... ANYWAY, my diet during teh week is fairly "clean-" very little mean, a lot of whole grains (quinoa, whole wheat pasta, millet) and veggies, along with soups and stews. I feel like more than anything, I've hit a wall. 1-year ago i started MFP and 10lbs melted off of me. Now I am stuck at that weight- i acknowledge what I have accomplished so far, and I am proud, but I want more. That's what's getting the better of me. I am still positive, just feeling like i need to see results before I get jaded. :P
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    @Rainbowbow- I am at 1500 c alories/day (it's a 1/2lb definicit because the full lb was starving me). I go over on the weekends. Sometimes a lot- and I realize that's bad and probably sets me back for the entire week- but i also don't want so stop living my life, which also includes beers by the beach and f*&king ice cream once in awhile... ANYWAY, my diet during teh week is fairly "clean-" very little mean, a lot of whole grains (quinoa, whole wheat pasta, millet) and veggies, along with soups and stews. I feel like more than anything, I've hit a wall. 1-year ago i started MFP and 10lbs melted off of me. Now I am stuck at that weight- i acknowledge what I have accomplished so far, and I am proud, but I want more. That's what's getting the better of me. I am still positive, just feeling like i need to see results before I get jaded. :P

Hmm... I could definitely see the weekend completely undoing the week when you are set at such a low deficit. Maybe try and tone it Down? Not saying don't have a drink, ice cream, life... But maybe try and trim it down? 1500 sounds completely reasonable to me. Although I did notice your protein is rather low 45-60 grams daily. Maybe try upping protein to 1gram per lb lean body mass? Sadly because you definitely don't have much to lose its going to be a painfully slow process. :(
  • fatforthewin
    Options
    @FatForTheWin Thanks! It's nice to hear- I think I need an objective eye- the more I stare at something, the less I can really "see" it, you know? Anyway my diet is kind of self-created- I stay at 1500 cals/day, that's a 1/2lb definict per week (the full 1 lb was way too low, i was starving!) and I eat oatmeal (with great, nutritious fillings) for breakfast, and homemade meals/leftovers for lunch and dinner (often whole wheat pasta with a vegan sauce, or quinoa with vegetables or a stew). I am a pretty "clean" eater, other than my weekend drinks. The only desserts I allow myself are smoothies and yogurt/granola deals, so my sugars not that bad either! Anyway, I'm not sure what's going to kick-start my body into weight-loss mode again, but I'm confident I'll figure it out.

Sure! I know how it is ;) You sound like you are vegetarian (true/false?). I love oatmeal in the mornings but I am trying to stay away from carbs for the time being. I'm doing a very low carb diet for two reasons: (1) to get the fat off ASAP without exercising and (2) to keep my skin and hair healthy with all the dietary fat. I'm working full-time this summer and I can't afford a gym membership until the fall. I'm not sure if my skin and hair will truly be healthier on this diet vs. a more lenient diet but I want to experiment...it makes sense. Oh yeah, blood sugar control. I forgot, that's #3 lol. You might consider exchanging some carbs for protein and/or fat for a week and see what happens. If you ARE vegetarian, there are some protein powders that are plant-based (soy is usually tasty and has a rich, buttery flavor). You could try texturized vegetable protein also. I have some leftover tvp taco filling in the fridge that I made for me and my roommate (she's a veg, I'm not), it's low-carb by nature and very tasty. You can get low carb wraps and stuff them like a burrito - fills me up for hours and very low calorie. Since protein takes more biological effort to digest, you get more "bang for your buck" when choosing protein over carbs or fat. Carbs can mess with your insulin and promote fat storage so usually reducing carbs gets fat moving again. Hope you find the answer soon! You have made progress so don't get frustrated yet!
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    There are definite differences. You are definitely more fit in your week 5 pictures. You can see it clearly in your hip area above the bikini, leaner. You can see it clearly in your upper legs, more defined and smooth. And you can see it on your back legs higher up, your skin is more smooth since you have transitioned fat into more smooth muscle.

You are making a difference in your body.
  • JessYas
    Options
    @fatforthewin Thank you! :)
  • JessYas
    Options
    @hapoo100 This is great to hear. Thank you! I'll try and not have such a critical eye.