I need help!

Options
Okay....I've been really bad and have regained every pound I lost so I'm back to square one. I cannot for the life of me seem to get motivated to do this and stick with it. My cholesterol is really high. My weight is the highest it has ever been. My blood pressure is high and I'm showing signs of pre-diabetes. HOW can I get motivated and not feel deprived???? This isn't a choice. It is a necessity for my health. :sad:

Replies

• jaminsmonster
    Options
    Hang in there, alot of us have been there...& might again :sad: I think sometimes for myself I set my goals too high because I want results NOW! Maybe you should cut yourself some slack, just walk a little each day & allow for some of your fave foods so you don't fall off the wagon. Set small goals so they're easier too reach. Baby steps. You can do this! you've done it before
  • jonathanmcurry
    Options
    this needs to be the time that you get motivated. know that you're not doing this just for yourself, which should be reason enough, but that you're also doing this for your family. now's the time to get focused. you can still cheat 1 day a week to get your fill of some cravings. all you need is to cut some calories everyday. you can do it.
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Oh hunnie I get unmotivated all the time! But there must be something other than yourself you want to lose weight for. For me I want to lose weight for my boyfriend as well as myself so we can start a family. Whenever I have a bad craving or want to skip out on the gym I tell myself I love him and our future more than food. Maybe you have kids? A husband? There must be something! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • fatgottago
    fatgottago Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I think that is a milliondollar question!!!! I lost 40 pounds and GAINED every bit of it back and I am right back where I started!!!!!!! I don't know, I guess it is something inside of you that has to make YOUR mind up, I had it then, but I can't seem to get it back. I applied for the Biggest Loser and made it to Nashville for a call back, but did not get picked. It seems after that I have had no motiviation at all! I have put it all back but 15 pounds.

Now this is where I am at....I am sick of myself, I feel horrible, I have no energy, I am sick to my stomach from eating too many sweets, I have no self esteem, I am embarrassed around other people because I think they are laughing at me because of my weight....I don't want my husband looking at me so we are fighting....I hate pictures, I hate seeing pictures of myself, I don't look in mirrors except from the neck up...................................so why am I doing this???? I have the power to change but choose not to do anything?????? This is why I am saying...today is the day.....today is the day that I am not going to eat that sweet, or put myself down!!!!!!!!! I am going to do right and exercise so I can feel better inside and out!!!!!! When I lost that 40 pounds I felt soooo good. I had energy...I left the sweets alone and I felt better!!!!!! I was happier and felt better about myself because I knew that I was at least trying! I am done!!! The food is not worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can do it!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just start small this week, to get adjusted to the diet, like drink only one coke a day, and lay off the sweets. Then next week do the same, but add in veggies and take a walk a couple of days, then the next just keep building up....habit is everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My heart breaks :brokenheart: for both of us..................but time to stop filling sorry for ourselves and GET BUSY!!!!!:wink: Maybe we can start a small challenge to lose 15 pounds by Thanksgiving????? 2 pounds a week!!! Drink our water and walk at least three times a week!!!!!! Are ya in?????

Love ya ~~~ Tress
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol is really high. My weight is the highest it has ever been. My blood pressure is high and I'm showing signs of pre-diabetes.

This doesn't motivate you enough??
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you do not watch biggest loser look up the previous episodes online and then keep up with watching them! They give tips and you look at what you never want to be or become again! You have put the effort in DO NOT GIVE UP NOW!!!! I am not going to pity you right now for this I am going to push you! I cannot make you get out there and do it! This is the a challenge you HAVE TO do on your OWN! DO IT!!! Find a person to go with you. Get a new outfit to work out in, get a new MP3 player or if you have one a new CD or a few new songs! Go to your local gym and join a work out class. Switch it up! YOU HAVE DONE IT AND YOU CAN KEEP DOING IT! DONT GIVE UP!

You cannot afford to gain more weight on top of what you are now! You must lose it! You have no choice in being lazy or eating the wrong foods. I have an extremely over weight father and I always tell him there are people out here depending on him! You are not the only person you have to worry about. People out there will be angry if you die because of the lack of care for your own body. I don't want to sound like a ***** but hun you need to not give up!!! You can do it!
  • angiered
    angiered Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    What I've found is that if I'm "eating diet food" all the time, I'm not gonna make it for very long. I need to be able to eat normally. So I'm learning to eat all of the things my family normally eats, but planning ahead and making it work for me.

High Cal dinner?? I have a nice big salad first and then smaller portions of the high cal. stuff. :) I fill my plate 1/2 veg, 1/4 protein, 1/4 starch.

Going to a friends for dinner? I'll bring the salad! OR I'll bring the desert. It makes it easier to plan for.

I log my meals the night before so I can be sure I'm staying on track. It takes 10 minutes and I feel prepared for the next day.

I also save one of my snacks for later in the day. If our dinner plans change and I need a few extra calories, I have them. :wink:
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure waht to tell you, aside from that it happens to everyone. It honeslty does.

You can't do it for other people, you have to want it for yourself. And even if there are health concerns, sometimes that isn't enough. Everyone who is overweight has increased health risks - even if aren't apparent every day.

Honestly, i don't know. When i quit smoking 2 years ago, I had to just do it. Ignore people around me and just do it. I changed my lifestyle and unfortunately I had to change the circle of friends I spent most of my time with. To some it may sound cruel, but it's not - it's what I had to do to better my health.

Do you have a friend who can team up with you? Perhaps you could join a recreational sports team, and try to have fun instead of dragging yourself to the gym all the time. Or, if all else fails, remove all the food from your house that you don't eat, and indulge one purchase at a time.

I wish i had a magic answer, but I don't, and I want you to know that it's okay to be human, and it's okay to error. And no one (NO ONE) has the right to be judgemental (I noticed a not-nice remark on this).

Just try - that's allyou can do. Just try. And if something isn't working for you, change it. We are all here to support you.
  • bethany_jurries
    Options
    I dont think I am leaving "Mean" comments just real ones. I never want to bring anyone down but to encourage them in a real way! Life is real, being over weight does not have to be reality!
  • msrn8143
    msrn8143 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I could not have said it better myself! I am definitely in. I have so many reasons for wanting and needing to do this and only one that I can't............lack of willpower. I overcame that to quit smoking 3 years ago. I can overcome it again. Today is the day. Good luck and thanks for your wonderful words of encouragement! Stay in touch. We will do this together!
  • msrn8143
    Options
    My cholesterol is really high. My weight is the highest it has ever been. My blood pressure is high and I'm showing signs of pre-diabetes.

This doesn't motivate you enough??

Obviously it hasn't even though it should. But thanks for the reality check. LOLOL
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    The motivation to succeed has to come from within.

I did not have a diagnosis of heath risks from my doctor but with a family history of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and arthritis, it was pretty much a given that something would go wrong.

It took me a long time to kick myself in the butt and I only wish I had done it decades ago. Do I eat unhealthily sometimes.... of course I do, I am human. Do I feel like sitting on my butt sometimes when I should be working out? You know I do. The majority of the time I eat well and exercise and it shows.
    I have lost 76 lbs since New Years and I have more muscle tone than I ever have. I keep discovering new things that I can do that I couldn't before and I love the feeling. Junk food makes me feel tired and ill now. There is no way I would stop at a fast food place ( other than Subway for a Veggie Delight on 9 grain/no cheese/ no sauce).

There is nobody telling me to do this other than myself. I am not losing weight for anybody but myself (although my husband is liking it a lot) . You just need to start and stick to it. One year from now, you will be a year older. Will you be more healthy or will you be where you are now? This is a choice only you can make.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Okay....I've been really bad and have regained every pound I lost so I'm back to square one. I cannot for the life of me seem to get motivated to do this and stick with it. My cholesterol is really high. My weight is the highest it has ever been. My blood pressure is high and I'm showing signs of pre-diabetes. HOW can I get motivated and not feel deprived???? This isn't a choice. It is a necessity for my health. :sad:

First - Hi! Welcome back!

But let me just say gently, and in love - it IS a choice. You MUST choose to do it. And you must choose to do it for yourself. Doing it for your kids, or family will work for a time - but eventually that will fall by the wayside as you run out of energy by caring for everyone else. You are going to have to CHOOSE to do this for yourself and to make it a priority - and from what I can see in your profile as a nurse you are most likely a 'care taker' type personality - which means everyone else is first and you come last. This has to change.

You have to understand that it is not selfish to take care of yourself - because if you don't you won't be around to take care of everyone else. It is highly practical to take care of yourself first - it is very logical. And it's also more than okay. And when you do you will have more energy to give to others - so it's the only thing that makes sense.

So bestow some of that love you give so freely to everyone else on yourself too. I always tell my daughter, there is no shortage or limit to love. If you love on yourself there is not less to give to others - in fact there is more.

This is hard work, make no mistake - but I doubt that you are a stranger to that. It's just that /this/ hard work is for you and not for someone else. And that is okay.

I'm glad you're here. And I know you can do this. :flowerforyou:
  • msrn8143
    Options
    You guys are amazing and everything you have said is true. I know I am the only one that can do this and I have to do it for me. Sometimes it just takes somebody knocking it into you to make you sit up and say "They're right." That's the motivation I needed. I start today. Going for a walk now. Check in later!
  • angiered
    angiered Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The mindset that I am functioning in might help you. I've decided to live w/o regrets.

That means when I get up in the morning, I make a decision to stay on plan for the day, because if I don't...I will WISH I HAD.

When I'm confronted with a hard willpower type choice....It look at it from that angle. Will I wish I had, or wish I hadn't?

Yesterday was a students birthday and someone brough chocolate cupcakes. I passed. I didn't want to wish I hadn't.

A few days ago I had dinner at a friends house and she had brownies for desert. I DIDN'T pass. I didn't want to wish I HAD. :wink:
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Time is going to keep slipping into the future no matter what you choose to do. 6 months from now will still be April, whether you've chosen to grab hold of this in the meantime of not. Where would you like to be 6 months from now?

Looking back and thinking 'wow - what a difference 6 months has made!' or 'gee, I sure wish I'd started this 6 months ago...imagine where I'd be now.'

As Angiered says, you can wish you had or wish you hadn't.

Don't give up your power. This is YOUR choice. You have the power to choose. Empower yourself by reminding yourself that you are responsible for YOU, and you are important.

Good luck - you can do this!
  • msrn8143
    Options
    Worked out twice today and feel wonderful. I have decided to take it one day at a time and not deprive myself of foods I really want because that seems to be where I blow it. I get so tired of eating "diet" food that I end up overeating really bad foods instead of allowing myself a treat and getting back on track with the next meal. I also know I need to learn how to eat healthy instead of "dieting." And yes, this is the time for me and I deserve it. Thanks for your encouragement, support, and reality checks. It truly does help to know this is not a battle I'm in alone.
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    Fake it till you make it. After you fake it it often leads to proudness of self and that equals making it. Good luck on your journey.
  • msrn8143
    Options
    Just an update....I found the motivation or willpower I needed. I am now on week 3 of changing my lifestyle and eating habits. The first step was getting it into my brain and believing that it is not a "diet". I had to decide to change my lifestyle, the way I cook, the way I eat, the way I perceive myself, and most of all, to realize the time I take to work out or plan my meals is a necessity and if it takes 5 minutes away from others, so be it. I am walking or biking or both 6 miles per day now. I have lost 5.5 pounds in 2 weeks and feel great. For all those others out there who want a kick in the butt......nobody can do it for you. It has to come from within your heart and mind.
  • bethany_jurries
    Options
    Just an update....I found the motivation or willpower I needed. I am now on week 3 of changing my lifestyle and eating habits. The first step was getting it into my brain and believing that it is not a "diet". I had to decide to change my lifestyle, the way I cook, the way I eat, the way I perceive myself, and most of all, to realize the time I take to work out or plan my meals is a necessity and if it takes 5 minutes away from others, so be it. I am walking or biking or both 6 miles per day now. I have lost 5.5 pounds in 2 weeks and feel great. For all those others out there who want a kick in the butt......nobody can do it for you. It has to come from within your heart and mind.

GREAT JOB! I am proud of you! You need to keep up the good attitude. Week 5-9 can get rough but stick it out! You have got this!!