Kale chips...

Options
txsgirlK
txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
I'm thinking about trying to make kale chips this weekend. Kale, olive oil, sea salt, bake. Anyone try these and what did you think?

Replies

• Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I made this weekend. It was the first time they came out perfect. Nice and crisp, but damn they are still so bitter. Not for me.. I am going to try something else.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try them, but my sister makes them all the time. Even her kids (ages 8 and 10) love them!! So, I'm thinking they can't be that bad! :smile:
  • bbyegal
    bbyegal Posts: 16
    Options
    I love them! Make sure to space them out well so they can crisp up. I've made a couple variations using salt/vinegar and nutritional yeast (makes it taste cheesy!). Hope you enjoy them!!
  • sandyfp4h
    sandyfp4h Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've made them a couple of times. My family and I love them and I tried them out on some friends who loved them too. Make sure they are completely dry before baking. Also, I found the more bitter ones were the ones that I didn't cut the thick stem/vein out good enough.
  • amandahatto
    amandahatto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on perfecting them for my liking. Need to get it right without loading on the salt.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    I microwave mine, but it takes a while to get a sizable amount of chips.
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    I want to try them...but don't care what people say, they won't be anything like my (beloved) potato chips! :)
  • dree77
    dree77 Posts: 52
    Options
    I love them! Iyou need quite a bit of kale to make chips. When I made them I put way too much salt on them, but I loved the crunch and flavor of them. They are super easy, just toss with a bit of olive oil and salt (or another seasoning you like) and bake. Don't bake too long or too high of a temp, or they will burn and/or crisp into almost nothing!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I love them!

Definitely go easy on the salt as they shrink so much that a little goes a long way with the seasoning.

I found you really have to take them out RIGHT when they are done, if they start turning brown I find they start tasting more bitter.

I will make 2 bunches worth and they are gone in a day in our house.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I put what I thought was a tiny bit of salt and they were very salty.

I took them out when the edges started turning color...bad idea...

After a few tries though they were delicious!
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Love them! My favorite is making them with smoked paprika and a little cayenne pepper. Soooo good!
  • WonderWomanDawn
    Options
    I am willing to try thing once..i just need something to satisfy my cravings for crispy foods..i used to be a chip junky and these sound like they would be a great alternative.:happy:
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't like kale but love kale chips! I spritz them with olive oil, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes. Bake until very well done. Airy and crunchy.... Undercooked does not taste the same. I salt them when they come out of the oven. Also not good reheated. Must eat right out of the oven! Enjoy.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    I LOVE Kale. Talk about Super Green. I love it in any way shape or form. Sauteed with fresh sliced garlic is delish as a side for fish or chicken :-))
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the input and helpful hints! I can't wait to try them! :smile: