Still confused on calories and exercise

Options
:happy: I am still confused and get conflicting opinions.....I am currently at 1200 calories per day and am walking 4 miles per day. It increases my calories appx by 400. I can not eat an additional 400 calories if that is what I am supposed to be doing. I feel that it defeats the purpose. You exercise to eat more??? I ate too much to get where I am now, trying to cut back on my eating and find healthier eating habits. I find I make better choices and pay closer attention to what I AM eating. What does everybody else do?? Some say they eat half of their exercise calories back. If I don't is it going to stop me from losing????

Replies

• sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's a personal decision on eating exercise calories or not. But you will find a STRONG opinion on MFP that eating 1200 calories a day is not sufficient. You can search the forums for a ton of information on the fact. "Eat more to lose more" I understand why people believe that restricting calories is the way to lose weight and I did that in the beginning, but it only got rid of the first 5 pounds. I bumped myself up to 1700 cals a day and lost 5 more pounds. Now I'm about to bump up again. Eating 1200 calories a day was not enough food to energize my body, I was exhausted, hungry. I am soo much happier now and losing the weight I want to lose.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    MFP hes a built in deficit. By not eating hour exercise calories you are creating a double deficit...so you're trying to get by on about 800 calories s day. That is not enough for metabolic health. Aa few days like that are obviously not a big deal....but in the long run it will hurt your weight loss and potentially your health. Please read the FAQ posts about this issue ...they explain it better than I can.
  • cdragon_88
    cdragon_88 Posts: 7
    Options
    Kimdoak, its pretty simple actually. You body operates on a BMR--this is the calories that are required for your body to maintain itself. You on the other hand exercise. BMR only calculates your caloric needs if you are a potato that sits in one spot and does nothing all day. What you need is a TDEE. This is the calculation that factors in the extra calories needed for those, like you, who actually do exercise.

Here's is the problem of not eating enough calories and trying to exercise.

1. Exhaustion

For a jogger like yourself, you should be aware that carbs are your friend. With low calorie intake, your energy level is low and you 'll find yourself more exhausted then usual.

2. Loss of lean body (which you should always try to maintain)

The goal of weight loss should accurately be classified as "fat loss" as we are trying to maintain current lean mass. What this mean is that if your intake is too low, the body does not have the correct amount of proteins to maintain your current lean mass. Quite simply when you are low in lbs you'll look like a stick figure (anorexic) rather than a healthy looking person since you loss your lean mass as well.

3. Slower metabolism

You body is a machine that understands how much you intake. If your intake is too low for too long, you metabolism will drop. As you know your metabolism is a key factor in burning off calories from your body. This is done to prevent you from losing energy too fast so that you don't die of starvation. Which is also why when some folks eat more they actually lose more fat rather then when they were eating super low calories. Sometimes when the higher calories come into the body, the body understands that it must burn extra unneeded energy from the body as oppose to the body trying to desperately cling to whatever energy is left in your body since you aren't getting enough energy as it is daily.

Last tip for you kimdaok, is that you should try your best to target a 20% deficit in your TDEE calculations. Yes its slower at losing only 1-2lbs a week or so but it is better for you and a healthy way to lose weight without repercussions and unwanted effects.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    :happy: I am still confused and get conflicting opinions.....I am currently at 1200 calories per day and am walking 4 miles per day. It increases my calories appx by 400. I can not eat an additional 400 calories if that is what I am supposed to be doing. I feel that it defeats the purpose. You exercise to eat more??? I ate too much to get where I am now, trying to cut back on my eating and find healthier eating habits. I find I make better choices and pay closer attention to what I AM eating. What does everybody else do?? Some say they eat half of their exercise calories back. If I don't is it going to stop me from losing????

1. Who set the 1200 Calories? Is that number prescribed by your doctor or nutritionist? Is it your BMR? Or your BMR with a 500 calorie reduction in order to lose 1-2 pounds /week?
    2. Why can you not consume 1200 calories in a day? Do you have a medical condition preventing?
    3. Are you sure that the approximate value of calories burned when you walk are correct? Are you wearing an HRM to get this?

There is a plethora of means to ingest 1200+ calories per day. But you do not give enough information in order to assist you. Any other replies are purely substantiated on the lack of information
  • Kimberlybett
    Options
    When I put all my info in is where I got my 1200 calorie intake.....and what is BMR??
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    When I put all my info in is where I got my 1200 calorie intake.....and what is BMR??
    As mentioned above, if your calorie goal was set by MFP it already has a deficit factored in. If you eat back your exercise calories using this method you will still lose weight.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Base Metabolic Rate.

This is based on:
    Sex, Height, weight, activity level.

Medical studies show that 1200 calories is the bare minimum to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Make sure that you have your activity level set correctly.