Why do I always crave sugar later in the day?

Options
This may be an FAQ here, so my apologies if that's the case.

I've noticed that I am fine throughout most of the day when it comes to eating properly and healthy -- but for some reason, pretty much as *soon* as I'm finished with dinner, a sweet tooth comes on.

God forbid I indulge slightly (even the smallest piece of dark chocolate) will have me coming back to the kitchen all night, in search of something else that's sweet.

Any suggestions -- beyond "tough it out"? :)

Replies

• shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    cant see your food log so don't know what you're doing. I eat fruit instead of sugar.
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You could try eating your dessert right along with your breakfast and see if that after dinner sweet tooth goes away.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Mine is always after lunch no matter what I eat
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've heard a tsp of natural apple cider vinegar (the one with the mother in it, like Bragg's) is supposed to help with this. but i have no idea. never tried it!
  • Amommymoose
    Amommymoose Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A few things come to mind:

1) I can't see your food diary, but I suspect that you're eating foods that resolve to sugar in the body earlier in the day. That would be fruits, grains, starches, things made from flour, potatoes, fruit juices, etc. It would throw off your sugar and insulin levels--and have you craving sugar like a mad person.

2) You can take L-glutamine (an amino acid sold as a supplement) to help curb the cravings while you get point #1 under control. Take this on an empty stomach. If you can find one that breaks up the dosing over the course of the day, that would be ideal.

3) It can also be a sign of yeast overgrowth in your intestines. Taking a separate probiotic (a refrigerated one--sold in most supplement or natural foods stores) would be the best thing to do to help with that (and really, they help overall--so no harm in adding it)
  • Nektariosmom
    Nektariosmom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me every night! I think it has something to do with being tired. Eating something sweet relaxes me.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    and it could be the way you have conditioned yourself.
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Golden syrup porridge helps, it's only 200 calories per bowl and pretty good for you considering. Tastes like a flap jack but fills you up like porridge lol... if you find a better way to manage then let me know
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think when I crave sugar at night it's because I'm low on energy so I'll eat something carb-like. Like cinnamon honey flavoured rice crackers.
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of this month I stopped eating sugar and wheat. Yea maybe too drastic for you but I don't have the cravings at night and I'm not hungry either. On Mother's Day I had 2 bites of dessert at lunch and was hungry and craving sugar all day, esp after dinner. I ate the same except for the 2 bites. Convinced me I am a sugar-ohoic and like an alcoholic I need to totally stay away from it. Not suggesting any one else make this choice, just saying it is working for me. I've also lost 10.2# since May 1.
  • ssitari
    ssitari Posts: 13
    Options
    Annonymoose -- you're right actually -- I do eat a lot of fruits during the day (today for example -- I had a 1/2 cup of grapes in the AM, a bag of Subway apples at lunch, and 1 cup of pineapple with my afternoon snack). It may be too much fruit sugars?
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Maybe adrenal stuff?

I curb sweet cravings by taking a heaping tablespoon of raw almond butter and eat it slowly and water, or almond/coconut milk mixture with it. It helps a lot!!!! I don't know why but it does for me. Suzanne Somers said to eat a chunk of cheese for cravings like that (which never worked for me, plus I don't eat dairy anymore).
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, I couldn't have said it better. There are some smart folks on here!

p.s. a dessert tea can help with stevia or hazelnut milk added like Republic of Tea's Caramel Apple, Strawberry Chocolate, etc. no calories.

A few things come to mind:

1) I can't see your food diary, but I suspect that you're eating foods that resolve to sugar in the body earlier in the day. That would be fruits, grains, starches, things made from flour, potatoes, fruit juices, etc. It would throw off your sugar and insulin levels--and have you craving sugar like a mad person.

2) You can take L-glutamine (an amino acid sold as a supplement) to help curb the cravings while you get point #1 under control. Take this on an empty stomach. If you can find one that breaks up the dosing over the course of the day, that would be ideal.

3) It can also be a sign of yeast overgrowth in your intestines. Taking a separate probiotic (a refrigerated one--sold in most supplement or natural foods stores) would be the best thing to do to help with that (and really, they help overall--so no harm in adding it)
  • Nektariosmom
    Nektariosmom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Golden syrup porridge helps, it's only 200 calories per bowl and pretty good for you considering. Tastes like a flap jack but fills you up like porridge lol... if you find a better way to manage then let me know
    yum, where can I find this? That sounds good!
  • Amommymoose
    Amommymoose Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It doesn't even just have to be fruit sugars, but yeah--they're particularly hard core in terms of throwing off the balance. You don't have to stop eating them, but you do need to be careful about how you're eating them. If you have grapes in the morning, maybe have a single scrambled egg. Or dip them in some yogurt. Pair up the apples with some peanut butter or cream cheese--or a hand full of nuts. And your afternoon pineapple could go with some ricotta cheese or yogurt.

Or better yet, try to switch over to veggies. :) Snack on nuts or olives. Or maybe some grain crackers with some nut butter or hummus (they make it in travel packs now) or guacamole. The fats in these things also keep you from being hungry quicker. Over a decade ago, fats became the enemy. Well, now we're all starving and eating things (without fat) that have sent our country into epidemic levels of diabetes and our cardiovascular health is still as bad as it was (because they have since found that sugar imbalance issues are a greater risk :/ )

Also watch grains, things made with flour, potatoes, beets, carrots, corn, winter squashes--any starch or food with naturally high sugar content. Google "glycemic load" for some help (it's not fool-proof, but it's a great way to start figuring out how to eat for blood sugar balance).