Greek Yogurt - Recipes?

Options

Replies

• oddree80
    oddree80 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ewh plain is horrible. but lucky for you ..this recipe can save you! It is Refrigerated Oatmeal...intriguing isnt it! I improvise with what ever fruit I have, and I never add chia seeds. But see if you like it. It has become a staple in our house for breakfast.
    http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2012/03/293/Overnight,+No-Cook+Refrigerator+Oatmeal+--+A+healthy+breakfast+made+in+mason+jars+in+six+different+flavors!

I have been wanting to try these receipes!! Which one is your favorite?
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Is that why people say "bump?" so they can save it for later?

If that's the case, then "bump"
  • DivaMaria225
    DivaMaria225 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried Greek yogurt I thought it was terrible as well, but it ended up being the brand that I tried that I didn't care for because a friend shared a bite of another brand of Greek yogurt with me and it was amazing (it was the Fage brand, I think). I now regularly eat the Yoplait Greek yogurt and love it. It almost tastes like a scoop of strawberry cheesecake in a cup!

I'm also looking for ways to use Greek yogurt in cooking, so it's a great topic to bring up.
    FAGE is the best! Its fromm Greece and I go to Greece every summer and its my fav! The brands we get in North America sucks, but the closest I can get to better tasting is Skotidakis (Canada)
    You can make a Tzatziki dip add Grated cucumbers, drain the water from them, add tons of garlic(use a presser) some salt, and voila...yummy and healthy!
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I replace nearly all the mayo in both egg and chicken salad to cut calories and fat. For 12 eggs use a 6 oz cup of yoghurt, 2 tbsp mayo, 2 tbsp djon mustard and a table spoon each of onion powder, garlic pepper and dry mustard. For chicken salad I leave out the mustard.
  • nickmast78
    nickmast78 Posts: 65
    Options
    Chobani yogurt is sooo good!
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I like it by itself but I have made a parfait. Using angel food cake Greek yogurt, bananas and strawberries. Yum
  • nmjellison
    nmjellison Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump : )
  • MelHoneyRocks
    MelHoneyRocks Posts: 223
    Options
    Ewh plain is horrible. but lucky for you ..this recipe can save you! It is Refrigerated Oatmeal...intriguing isnt it! I improvise with what ever fruit I have, and I never add chia seeds. But see if you like it. It has become a staple in our house for breakfast.
    http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2012/03/293/Overnight,+No-Cook+Refrigerator+Oatmeal+--+A+healthy+breakfast+made+in+mason+jars+in+six+different+flavors!

I have been wanting to try these receipes!! Which one is your favorite?

I love the strawberry.
  • warden1962
    warden1962 Posts: 10
    Options
    I posted a great recipe using plain greek yogurt...look up Mock Cheesecakes...yummy dessert at 200 calories.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Mix it with hot sauce (I like the Tabasco Chipotle) and use as a replacement for mayonnaise on sandwiches,
    Mix with mustard and hard boiled eggs for healthy egg salad,
    Mix with 1 tablespoon of honey, some cinnamon and a little vanilla for a sweet treat,
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You can use it in so many ways, as a sweet or savory dip, in place of mayo, sour cream, milk, etc...I always add something to mine.
  • mtraver88
    mtraver88 Posts: 78
    Options
    So I finally decided to try Greek yogurt. Didn't like it at all. I've heard you can use it in recipes though, and was wondering if you have a recipe you could recommend. (It's just plain - no flavors.)

My husband used it in waffles (not as a topping). It was awesome. We also use it in smoothies all the time. We use the plain Greek yogurt, protein powder, almond milk and frozen fruit. Good luck!
  • dree77
    dree77 Posts: 52
    Options
    Greek yogurt is really versatile. You can make it like the others said with berries, honey, and some granola mixed in. You can also use it as a substitute for mayonaisse in salmon or tuna salads. I like to use it in curries. Just saute eggplant, tomato, and onion with lots of curry powder, cumin, salt, pepper, cinnamon, ginger and when it looks almost done add about a half cup of plain greek yogurt and let simmer. Its delicious.

Good call on the mayo substitution - I don't like mayo but I love tuna sandwiches! I usually use mustard but its just not the same. So thanks for that! And thanks to the original poster - I recently bought greek yogurt too to try something different, but I'm not a big fan of it either. Thanks for the ideas everyone!
  • BexleyGirl
    BexleyGirl Posts: 102
    Options
    bump
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Mmm....Greek yogurt is one of my favorite foods on Earth. I prefer the non-fat, plain type because it is the healthiest for me. Fage is my favorite brand. I personally wouldn't buy Yoplait. I just don't like that company, but that is only me. To each their own, of course. That is why we have options!

I put my Fage in my protein shake. I also mix in honey and any fresh fruit or berry. At night when I have those awful cravings I get one cup of Fage non-fat, plain and add some sugar-free vanilla syrup and some powdered vanilla bean and it is the perfect calorie conscious late night snack. Got this idea from mfp.

I also use Greek yogurt to marinate my extra lean ground turkey. It helps to moisten the turkey which can be too dry when cooked.
  • fitnessfashionista17
    fitnessfashionista17 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    blend it with strawberries (or blackberries/raspberries) and you have a healthier version of strawberry greek yogurt
    or add skim milk with it and strawberries into the blender and you have a protein smoothie without protein powder
    I also sometimes mix it into oatmeal as a low carb alternative to milk
    I haven't tried this but I know a lot of people who mix in raw cocoa powder and stevia to make a chocolate yogurt that you can have instead of a treat and it's filled with protein and antioxidants!
    If your trying to keep it low calorie, mix in a package of stevia and some cinnamon, I find the sweetness makes it taste a lot better
    the last recipe will only be about 110 calories depending on how much cinnamon you put in
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I take plain greek yogurt (oikos is my favorite) and add in about 1 TBS sugarfree/fat free pudding dry mix (I LOVE the cheesecake) and mix--I also add a packet of truvia to take away some of the tartness and I use this as fruit dip (apples and canteloupe are my favorites). Where else can you get about 100 cal, 16 gm protein --wonderful
  • cdcassel
    cdcassel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use it like a condiment. BLT with turkey bacon, tomatoes, mix 1 part mayo to 3 parts greek yogurt for a great spread...not skimping no guilt!:glasses:
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think it's real yummy. So pure and thick. I will put in my smoothies in the morning. Instead of protein powder (on and off, to save money.) Mixed with the berries and lactaid milk (or soy) you can't really taste it.
  • ericcumbee
    ericcumbee Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i cant remember what all i put in it but i made a pretty good chicken alfredo similar but not exactly this

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-303-504-13456-0,00.html