P90X --> 40-40-20?

Options
manvsfood
manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
I'm currently on Phase 1 of P90X... wondering where I should I place my caloric goals. I tried to use the 40%(carbs), 40%(protein), and 20%(fat) plan but 50g of fat seem completely too low. I'm not trying to lose weight, but gain muscle. I've read on some blogs I should eat more fat, but others say I should eat less which made me more confused; I'm just looking for a clear information on how much I should be eating, so I can make the most out of P90X! [I weigh 150 and I'm about 5'10.]

Any suggestions where to start? How many g or % of carbs, protein, and fat should I be taking in? (My diary is public, if you need it.)

:wink:

Replies

• mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I got advice from someone who has finished and got good results with P90x and they said 40-30-30 so that is what I set mine as. Not sure if that is 100% though
  • manvsfood
    Options
    I got advice from someone who has finished and got good results with P90x and they said 40-30-30 so that is what I set mine as. Not sure if that is 100% though

Put it into my diary... looks right!
    (40%) 225 carbs / (30%) 169 protein / (30%) 70 fat
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    The big thing for you to do it EAT- 2500-3000 calories a day if you want to build muscle. With that your fats will increase but I'd leave the macro at 40 / 40 / 20 and see how you feel. I wouldn't do 30% fat but the highest I would go is 25%. Keep your protein high and eat most of your carbs early in the day and after workout. I've done 50 / 25 / 25 with good results. I always put protein 1st as it's crucial for building muscle. Your body can make carbs from protein but not protein from carbs. Shoot for 40-60 gms protein per meal.
  • manvsfood
    Options
    The big thing for you to do it EAT- 2500-3000 calories a day if you want to build muscle. With that your fats will increase but I'd leave the macro at 40 / 40 / 20 and see how you feel. I wouldn't do 30% fat but the highest I would go is 25%. Keep your protein high and eat most of your carbs early in the day and after workout. I've done 50 / 25 / 25 with good results. I always put protein 1st as it's crucial for building muscle. Your body can make carbs from protein but not protein from carbs. Shoot for 40-60 gms protein per meal.

^^ Nicely put. I'm not really in tune with all this nutrition stuff, I thought I needed more fat for gaining muscle but now I see protein is more important. I'll definitely play around with it... trying your suggestions and see how I feel afterwards.
  • coachbeav
    coachbeav Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You will not lose weight as fast on the 40/40/20 plan. 50/30/20 is the best for losing the fat. That is 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat. If you have any more questions about it, message me and I can help you out!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    It really won't matter. 40% protein is generally enough and how you split up everything else is totally up to you and won't effect weightloss or musle building.