Somebody Please Stop Me!!!

Options
I need your help. I'm in a really bad mood today (work can do that sometimes) and I really feel like eating lots and lots of things that are not good (cookies, cake, candy). Someone please give me a kick in the butt and a good talking to so that I don't cave in............ I haven't had the urge to pig out in a real long time and really don't want to give in now. Thanks.

Replies

• kmeehan24
    Options
    Just eat a small amount of the junk food. If you stave off all junk food completely your bound to pig out. If you give yourself a treat every once in a while its no big deal! Take a cookie! BUT JUST ONE:)
  • rstarks54
    Options
    the best advice I can give, as I have suffered these moments too, is to take one minute at a time, focus on what your are doing at that moment, ask yourself why you feel this way, but don't expect any answers right away, focus on exactly whatever tasks you may have, and it will pass...Best to you always, Rick
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree grab a small amount of junk food 200-500 calories but do it now. Dont want until later you have the larger part of your day to burn it off. Just make sure you do some sort of exercise today. Do not deprive your self but do not indulge in a lot of junk!! You can do this! Dont give into temptation. I read someones signature today and it said "no food tastes as good as how you feel skinny"
  • katrana
    katrana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Can you get up and go for a walk for 10 minutes at work? That could help stave off the cravings.

If you can't get away for that long, can you run up and down a flight of stairs, do some jumping jacks in the bathroom? etc? Anything to change scenery so you can break the temptations.

Can you have a (healthy but yummy) snack so you can truthfully tell yourself that you aren't hungry? Your body deserves good fuel/nutrition, not junk fuel! You want to have energy all day, not just for the next 20 minutes!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    If you are craving because of emotions, deal with the emotion! Good for you, reaching out for help rather than the vending machine!

Why are you in a bad mood? Can you take a break at work and go for a walk? Do you have a toothbrush with you? Burushing your teeth is a great way to fool your body to thinking its getting sugar, you also take time to put you focus on something else. And your dental hygienist will approve!:bigsmile:
  • JapaneseAngel27
    Options
    Grab a bottle of water before your next snack! It'll fill you up or at least keep cravings at bay for awhile. At least, that's what I do.

Sorry about the bad day! I also find journaling can help. Pounding out on the keyboard all my frustrations for 20 minutes is extremely cathartic and I feel loads better after. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Monday was a stressfull day at work for me and with a lot of internal struggle going on I grabbed a bag of plain M&M's (my weakness). Well I ate the whole bag BUT instead of chalking the whole day up to a total loss like I would have in the past and I was tempted to do at that point, I put those calories into my food log for that day. Then that night I exercised and made sure that I burned all 240 of those calories off. I felt much better about the whole thing because I didn't beat myself up and I didn't go off the deep end. It's a mind set and behavioral change. I even lost a little bit the next morning when I weighed in. So take everyone's advice. Take a walk, breath deep, try to take yourself away from the situation for a few minutes. If you can't, and if you simply cannot fight the urge. Have something, but log it, and do extra in your work out later to make up for it. Above all don't beat yourself up because that is what feeds they cycle of overeating and binging.

Good Luck!
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I have begun to try and take a 'big picture' look at things.

I know that I can have that cookie or junk food if I have to have it. But I ask myself and force myself to answer honestly answer these questions:

Is the way that cookie is going to taste good enough to account for the extra calories?

If I have to walk or run an extra 30 minutes today to 'pay' for that cookie is it worth it?

If the answer is yes I eat it. If it's no, it's really easy to pass it up.
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and motivational ideas. I will be taking my lunch break soon and plan on taking a short walk. Hopefully that will help. Thanks again for all your support - you are all great!!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Having been there and knowing how pissed off eating any of it will make you feel I would suggest doing exactly what you are planning on doing, go work it out! sometimes just removing yourself from whatever situation is stressing you and having some quiet time with you and yourself helps work whatever is irritating you out! REaching for "comfort food' will only make your day worse!

Cheer up and if you can't come back here and vent...that's what we are here for :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Emotional eating is what got most of us here in the first place.
    That quick fix, we do it once, then again, and before we know it we're back where we were.

Pass up on the junk food, or eat something healthier.

:flowerforyou: Go for a walk, get rid of some frustration.

If you eat that junk food, and your still going to go for that walk later to burn it off, does that make sense that you have to workout 30 mins or so because of your 2 mins impulse eating?

If I have to walk or run an extra 30 minutes today to 'pay' for that cookie is it worth it?

I totally agree. I look at a chocolate bar now and think 200+ calories.
    I know how much I've burned in previous workouts, and worked dam hard.