Toss em or keep em

Options
_Triple_S_
_Triple_S_ Posts: 214 Member
How many previous sizes of clothes do you keep? And when is it time to get rid of them? I have some stuff that is 4 or 5 sizes ago and I haven't gotten rid of them. Most was expensive work clothes, so I dont want to throw them away. But I cant seem to get rid of them either. How many old sizes do you keep?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I get rid of them when they are one size too big. I'm. not. going. back. there.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I do, however, have the next smaller size ready to go. :grumble:
  • purpleface
    purpleface Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If they're expensive then you could try selling them again? Or give them to charity.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    None. Once they were too big I donated them to Goodwill or a friend or sold them. When I was losing, I wore shirts a couple sizes too big and belted my pants to save money, but once they were over, they were over. Now I keep nothing that's too big at all.

If you keep them, it's easy for you to "slide" back up because you have clothes to wear. If you get rid of them, you actually have to go out and buy bigger clothes if you let things slide and that's a big difference psychologically.

Out of the house. Gone.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I have enough that I could probably open a boutique! Just haven't gotten around to sorting thru them. But like cmriverside says I AM NOT GOING BACK !!! :happy:
  • reginapeak
    reginapeak Posts: 24
    Options
    I have been tossing them, so far its just one size- but I am NOT going back!!!
    I already have my sites set on the next size down.
  • sonyagruman
    sonyagruman Posts: 27
    Options
    I hemmed mine to the size I am at now
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    If they're expensive then you could try selling them again? Or give them to charity.

^^^ yeah that. Consignment shop?
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    None. Once they were too big I donated them to Goodwill or a friend or sold them. When I was losing, I wore shirts a couple sizes too big and belted my pants to save money, but once they were over, they were over. Now I keep nothing that's too big at all.

If you keep them, it's easy for you to "slide" back up because you have clothes to wear. If you get rid of them, you actually have to go out and buy bigger clothes if you let things slide and that's a big difference psychologically.

Out of the house. Gone.

I agree, well said!
  • connielancaster
    connielancaster Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree I'm not going back. Don't pitch them especially if they are expensive work clothes. Look into donating them to a charity or see if there is a Christian Women's Job Corp in your area. They give women a hand up not a hand out - job training to help them have a better life. They are always looking for clothes for the women to have for interviews, etc.

:smile:
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I got rid of them as I ungrew out of them. If u wld like to donate them, I'm sure there is a social services agency in ur area who can help outfit women who hv no interview-appropriate clothes. That's what I did with my stuff. Catholic Community Charities. Local women's shelter. St. Vincent de Paul. And when I went on a lazybody break from weight-training and my new clothes started feeling tight? Let me say it was JUST the kick in the pants (and waist) I needed to get back to the gym and diet. If I'd had another size I cld get into I wldve put it off another couple of sizes! So I was glad there was no fallback position sizewise.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm currently wearing clothes 1-2 sizes too big..maybe more I haven't been shopping for casual clothes in so long! Once things start looking so big that they no longer look good I donate them. I plan to bring some of my nicer items such as dresses and interview clothes to Buffalo Exchange to sell and make some money! I definitely don't save things "just in case"...
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    How many previous sizes of clothes do you keep? And when is it time to get rid of them? I have some stuff that is 4 or 5 sizes ago and I haven't gotten rid of them. Most was expensive work clothes, so I dont want to throw them away. But I cant seem to get rid of them either. How many old sizes do you keep?

I would say you don't need to keep them unless you might have more kids. I don't think anyone should throw away anything that someone else could put to good use, though. So whenever you do decide you're done with them, it's best to sell or donate them.
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm getting rid of them as fast as I can, and only getting the minimum to replace them until I get to my goal weight, then I'll have an empty closet for my new wardrode...can't wait.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    LOL I didn't buy any clothes when I was at my biggest. I pretty much stuck to sweat pants and dresses because they were stretchy and still fit when I was fat. I still haven't bought any since losing weight. Waiting to lose 10 more pounds to decide...

Either way, I'm mostly just finally fitting in to my old clothes...
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Like many, I donate everything the minute I no longer need it. I'm a poor grad student, so I wear things a bit longer than ideal though. Also, when I was at my heaviest I didn't enjoy shopping, so I really didn't have that much clothing and a lot of it was so worn I couldn't donate it.

I don't usually buy the next size down, but this past weekend, I was buying shorts to get me through the summer, I bought one black and was deciding between grey and these cute purple ones, and I decided to get grey in my current size and purple in the next down. I tried them on when I got them home and I could prob where them, but they were tight and will look much better when I'm maintaining
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I gave a lot of clothes to someone I know who could really use them. I also give clothes to Good Will every other month or so. I don't keep anything I've shrunk out of.
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I would never hold onto clothes that are 4 or 5 sizes too big. Don't wanna allow myself to EVER fit in them again!!! I keep my current size (and 2 pairs of "fat" pants for TOM) and that's it. I also have the next size down just waiting to fit into ;)
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options

If they are expensive work clothes, nice looking and quality, find a good tailor and have them re-fit. It would be a fraction of the cost of re-placing them.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on keeping any bigger clothes. When I'm down to my goal weight, everything that doesn't currently fit will be gone. I don't want anything that will make putting on weight any more comfortable!