ok, I think Im one of them...need help!

Options
Had a HUGE discussion with multiple people at the gym today (trainers and owner) and *they* all think I am not eating enough. I started in March and lost 7 lbs total, but over the past few weeks gained and lost the same 2-3 pounds. I exercise 4-6 days a week and I am eating 1200 strictly for the past month. They feel I should be eting more since I am lifting and doing cardio so often and at 1200 they think Im not eating enough...Ive been reading about the TDEE thing all over MFP and Im wondering if they are right? Thoughts?? Im 5'7" female started at 158 on March 9, 43, desk job but work out 45-1 hour 4-6 times a week weights/strength.
If the TDEE thing is the answer - I need HELP!

Replies

• giddybutterfly
    Options
    Had a HUGE discussion with multiple people at the gym today (trainers and owner) and *they* all think I am not eating enough. I started in March and lost 7 lbs total, but over the past few weeks gained and lost the same 2-3 pounds. I exercise 4-6 days a week and I am eating 1200 strictly for the past month. They feel I should be eting more since I am lifting and doing cardio so often and at 1200 they think Im not eating enough...Ive been reading about the TDEE thing all over MFP and Im wondering if they are right? Thoughts?? Im 5'7" female started at 158 on March 9, 43, desk job but work out 45-1 hour 4-6 times a week weights/strength.

And todays diary is totally out of character for me! I indulged for the first time in a LONG time!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    If professionals are telling you that you're not eating enough, why are you asking a bunch of random people on the internet? The trainers know what they're doing. :) But since you did ask, I'll go ahead and say it: I agree, you're not eating enough. You have to feed your body if it's going to work, and if you're lifting, it's even more important to eat more so your muscles can heal and get stronger.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    There is a group of "them" (us) on here: EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS.

Yeah, you can't lose weight with what you're doing. CAN'T.

From one of my old posts from a similar topic:

OK. I'm gonna give this a shot. I am an avid lifelong athlete. I have never been overweight, however, I used to eat too few calories (without knowing it), and a couple years ago, I actually GAINED weight bc of having slowed my metabolism to the point that every little extra treat I ate caused a weight gain, even though overall my calories were too low. THIS DOES HAPPEN.

It is also the reason so many fat people stay fat. They restrict their calories so low, slow their metabolisms, binge (even a little), gain weight, restrict more . . . . and so on and so on. But they are still fat.

It is also the reason most people can't lose that last 10-20 lbs. For real.

1. MFP has a deficit built in. Let's say you're trying to lose 1 lb/ week. That is a 500/day deficit from your BMR (the amount of calories your body needs to complete basic functions.

2. You exercise and burn 500 calories. Now you are at a 1000 deficit. If you eat back those 500 exercise calories, you refuel your body and you still have a 500 deficit for that 1 lb loss. If you DON'T eat back those calories, you have too little fuel. This is bad. This is too much of a deficit for basic functions. If you do this for a long time, you will STOP LOSING WEIGHT. Why? bc your metabolism will slow down -- it's like a brownout--not quite enough electricity to make the whole city (your body) run, so it has to slow down some things. You will probably start being tired a lot, your skin and hair might start to look worse, and you might even gain weight. But you might NOT be hungry -- your body is getting used to fewer calories. That's bad.

That's when you start to gain weight. Let's say you're running along, eating 1200 calories a day, and exercising 400 calories a day, so net is 800. You're losing, you think this is great. You keep doing it, but after a while you stop losing. hmmmmm. One weekend you go out to a special event and have a slice of pizza and a beer. 1 slice of pizza and 1 beer. So you ate maybe 2000 calories that day and exercised off 400, so net 1600. BOOM! You gain 3 lbs! What?!

Next, you freak out and restrict yourself down to 1000 calories a day and work out extra hard, burning 500 calories. Great, netting 500 now. You don't lose any weight, but you sure feel tired. Better get some red bull.

Are you getting the picture?

EDIT: When you work out, you need fuel. Food is fuel. If you don't eat back those exercise calories, you will not only have a big calorie deficit, you will have an ENERGY deficit. Remember, the calorie deficit for weight loss is built in when you use MFP. Exercising basically earns you more calories because you must refuel.
    --

There are many people who will tell you not to eat exercise calories. Before you take their advice, you might want to see whether they are at goal, have EVER been at goal, or have ever been able to maintain at goal. If anyone says to you 'THE LAST TIME I LOST WEIGHT", just stop listening right there.

Ask some athletes whether or not they replenish their bodies with food equal to the calories they burn. Ask people who are fit and have achieved and maintained a healthy weight for some years. Don't ask people who count walking across a parking lot as exercise.

Here's an interesting case study about how to stay fat while consuming only 700 calories a day. Take a moment, you'll be glad you did:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

blessings.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    www.fat2fitradio.com I did the 1200 thing while increasing my exercise steadily to where I was running minimum 4.5 miles 3 times a week lifting 3 days and cycling 2 days....you know what happened. 3 month plateau, yep 3 whole months....and an injury. I feel 100% that the injury was due to not having the proper nutrition to heal my body while stressing it during exercise. A friend that knew how frustrated I was suggested fat2fit....I listened to it and I swear the heavens parted and I saw the light...I had to up my calories to 2500 for about a month (didn't gain just didn't lose, but my workouts improved and my injury got better) reduced my exercise a bit, then went down into a smaller calorie deficit of 1900 for a couple of weeks, went on vacation and came back and again started the smaller calorie deficit..I tend to stick around 1650-1700 during the week and about 1900-2100 on weekends....I still eat just as much on rest days. I now know that your body has to choose on rest days when you aren't feeding it enough between repairing or breathing.....so yeah....longgggggg story short....listen to a couple of podcasts do yourself the favor its not a race...who cares how long it takes you to get there....eat more whole clean non processed foods and you will lose the weight.
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Im 5'7" female started at 158 on March 9, 43, desk job but work out 45-1 hour 4-6 times a week weights/strength.

I am 5"8 at 213lbs, work a desk job and work out 6 times a week, 3 days cardio @ 1 hour and 3 days weight with light cardio @ 2 hours. My goal is to eat between 1600-1700 calories NET. Granted my weight is much higher than yours but I am eating at a slight deficit to what my maintenance would be at my goal weight. I did start at 1200 and lost weight quickly but also started getting extremely tired all the time, upped the calories and my workouts got better and not so tired. It took about 3 weeks for the weight to start dropping again and for my energy to return. At your weight I would be eating at maintenance as a minimum and let the weights do their thing.
  • kurohoshi
    kurohoshi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You also should look at what you're eating.. if you're eating 1200 calories, and 50% off that is from sweets, then you probably aren't going to lose weight. I'm not trying to be mean, because by all means I am not perfect.

However, from looking at your diary, you're eating a lot of sugars that probably aren't necessary. I eat low carb, less than 40 carbs a day, and I've lost 15 lbs in 5 weeks. Like I said, not trying to be mean.. but maybe you should look at the content. I tried doing the same thing you are doing, and sure initially I lost a few pounds, but then it just caught up with me. I worked out a ton and I didn't lose anything.. and the reason why was because I ate whatever I wanted but made sure I stayed at 1200 calories.

I'm no expert, but it didn't work for me at all, so I thought I'd share my advice. Maybe it works for other people, I have no clue, but like I said, it didn't work for me :\
  • meghan1789
    meghan1789 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Personally, I stick to 1200 net - meaning I eat most of my exercise calories back. If I don't exercise, I usually only eat 1200 (obviously it doesn't always work but I try). But I don't always eat all of my calories, simply because I'm not hungry - especially if it's a big calorie burn day. I try not to eat for the sake of eating. And I feel energetic, strong and happy with my results.

Do what YOUR body tells you to. If you're hungry, feeling weak or unenergetic, then eat. If you feel good and it's working, then stick with it. You know how you feel better than any trainer.

I suggest keeping a diary. Don't focus on exercise, but focus on how you feel and compare it to what you eat. Did you skip breakfast and feel unmotivated to go to the gym? Did you go over your calories and do extra reps at the gym? Look for patterns and find out what you are doing on the days you feel best.

Hope that helps!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Holy mother *passes out thinking about that little*. Im 5'7 also and started about your weight. Feel free to add me if you like. I'm 120 now and eat about 1650 on sedentary days. On sedentary days at your weight you should be able to eat more and loose.

Lately I've been in the 2000 and 3000 range but thats with exercise.
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I set my goal for net 1200, but i don't always eat all my exercise calories back, I usually end up eating about 1600 calories a day. At my age now (i am 39) my metabolism has changed so much compared to just 5 -10 years ago. So I suggest you do what you feel is right for YOUR body, maybe you could try and eat some of your exercise calories back? I really like low carb protein shakes or greek yogurt and some fruit and nuts as extra meals during the day, especially after my workouts. And I think eating 1200 calories of junk food or 1200 calories of clean eating with lots of protein and vegetables makes a BIG difference.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    There is a group of "them" (us) on here: EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS.

Yeah, you can't lose weight with what you're doing. CAN'T.

From one of my old posts from a similar topic:

OK. I'm gonna give this a shot. I am an avid lifelong athlete. I have never been overweight, however, I used to eat too few calories (without knowing it), and a couple years ago, I actually GAINED weight bc of having slowed my metabolism to the point that every little extra treat I ate caused a weight gain, even though overall my calories were too low. THIS DOES HAPPEN.

It is also the reason so many fat people stay fat. They restrict their calories so low, slow their metabolisms, binge (even a little), gain weight, restrict more . . . . and so on and so on. But they are still fat.

It is also the reason most people can't lose that last 10-20 lbs. For real.

1. MFP has a deficit built in. Let's say you're trying to lose 1 lb/ week. That is a 500/day deficit from your BMR (the amount of calories your body needs to complete basic functions.

2. You exercise and burn 500 calories. Now you are at a 1000 deficit. If you eat back those 500 exercise calories, you refuel your body and you still have a 500 deficit for that 1 lb loss. If you DON'T eat back those calories, you have too little fuel. This is bad. This is too much of a deficit for basic functions. If you do this for a long time, you will STOP LOSING WEIGHT. Why? bc your metabolism will slow down -- it's like a brownout--not quite enough electricity to make the whole city (your body) run, so it has to slow down some things. You will probably start being tired a lot, your skin and hair might start to look worse, and you might even gain weight. But you might NOT be hungry -- your body is getting used to fewer calories. That's bad.

That's when you start to gain weight. Let's say you're running along, eating 1200 calories a day, and exercising 400 calories a day, so net is 800. You're losing, you think this is great. You keep doing it, but after a while you stop losing. hmmmmm. One weekend you go out to a special event and have a slice of pizza and a beer. 1 slice of pizza and 1 beer. So you ate maybe 2000 calories that day and exercised off 400, so net 1600. BOOM! You gain 3 lbs! What?!

Next, you freak out and restrict yourself down to 1000 calories a day and work out extra hard, burning 500 calories. Great, netting 500 now. You don't lose any weight, but you sure feel tired. Better get some red bull.

Are you getting the picture?

EDIT: When you work out, you need fuel. Food is fuel. If you don't eat back those exercise calories, you will not only have a big calorie deficit, you will have an ENERGY deficit. Remember, the calorie deficit for weight loss is built in when you use MFP. Exercising basically earns you more calories because you must refuel.
    --

There are many people who will tell you not to eat exercise calories. Before you take their advice, you might want to see whether they are at goal, have EVER been at goal, or have ever been able to maintain at goal. If anyone says to you 'THE LAST TIME I LOST WEIGHT", just stop listening right there.

Ask some athletes whether or not they replenish their bodies with food equal to the calories they burn. Ask people who are fit and have achieved and maintained a healthy weight for some years. Don't ask people who count walking across a parking lot as exercise.

Here's an interesting case study about how to stay fat while consuming only 700 calories a day. Take a moment, you'll be glad you did:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

blessings.

I just read the case study in the link re 700 cals per day and I can't believe how much that was me not so long ago....actually scared me when I read it. Thanks soooo very much for posting. Very enlightening