heart rate monitors

Options
Just got a new reebok brand heart rate monitor and wondering about the calorie function. The MFP site says i burned 500 calories for a 3.5 mph brisk uphill walk but the monitor say 750.
Wondering about the difference. used it yesterday on the elliptical and it did say I used 150 more cals. then the machine did. What do you think?

Replies

• katstorm27
    Options
    I would belive your heart rate monitor. It is accurately keeping track of how hard your heart is working and how much you burn. My problem is my HRM usually tells me that I burned less then what MFP says. I never believe what the machines say either, they take an average of everyone's height and weight. When I log my exercise I just change what it says for calories burned to what the HRM says. Hope this helps.:happy:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't quite as reliable on calculating calories. The heart rate monitor goes by your heart rate, where other calculators (including the machine) just go by an average individual. I would trust the HRM if you have already inputed your age and weight.
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I would be careful because I've heard some HRM do overestimate your calories burned...from what I have been told, the Timex watches are infamous for that (you would have to cut their calories like in half). Hope it works out :flowerforyou:
  • theresefulford
    theresefulford Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input!