Calling All Ladies...!

Hi gals!

We're all familiar with the feelings/emotions when "that time" of the month rolls around. There are all sorts of symptoms that herald the arrival: nothing ever seems to go right, there's not a single stitch of clothing that is flattering, your body is achy & moaning about something (or several things!), emotions are riding a roller coaster, naptime could be anytime, and "Ms. Cranky Pants" is your new name for about a week. Things in general are just BLAH. (Thank a lot for nothin', Eve.)

One of my "vices" is that I CRAVE, obsess even, over snacks. If I have something salty, I have to balance it with sweet. If I eat something sweet, there has to be a salt balance. I also never feel as though I've eaten enough...until I eat too much & then I feel so gross (& disappointed in myself).

So I'm wondering: What do YOU do to alleviate feelings of food compulsion around your "Auntie's" visit to town??

(I'd say cheers to girl power but apparently I've eaten too much & I feel a nap coming on.)

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Most of the time I crave the same things sweet (mostly chocolate) and salty. I try to stay away but never seem to manage it. I've fallen into the cookies this month unfortunately. I did find that the pretzel m&m's are a great craving buster though. I force myself to exercise (though when I do I usually end up complaining and wanting to throw something at the tv), and I drink lots of water to try to stave off the crave. Also, when I actually feel like I have the energy I exercise instead of eat- that way I can have those wonderful cravings every so often.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    I read this in a ladies' magazine once: try microwave popcorn. It raises Serotonin levels the way chocolate does, but is less damaging to your calorie count.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    I eat all the things! That's what I do. Then work out more to offset...
  • uniqsol
    uniqsol Posts: 36
    You go with your progress! (41 lbs ain't nothing to sneeze at!) :wink:

I've found that Midol works for me w/ headaches & aches in general, but dang it it does any good w/ the cravings! Lol...
    I haven't tried the pretzel M&M's (that sounds gooooooood).

I guess one of the things I *try* to stay conscious of is to set aside under a serving size of whatever I can't resist and hope that just a little taste will be enough. That's hit & miss (haha...groan!).
    I really gotta increase my water intake! And I completely understand about "when I have the energy".
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    homemade kale chips for the i need to eat a large quantity of something salty and crunchy. trust me if you make an entire pound of kale chips it's not going to make any difference calorie wise

for the chocolatey cravings i either do strawberry and choco spread sammiches (where the split in half strawberry is the bread) or protein smoothie with 2 scoops of choco, rasberries, strawberries almond milk and a dash of cayenne pepper
  • DantheMan2517
    DantheMan2517 Posts: 134 Member
    When I'm feeling feminine, I eat everything in the house.
  • uniqsol
    I've heard a lot of people talking about kale chips! Never had it as a chip, just cooked & have found it to be more difficult to digest than spinach or collards. BUT, things usually taste do different when they're in that crunchy form. I'll have to give those a try! Do you use a dehydrator??

And chocolate anything sounds good to me, lol. Add strawberry (or any berry) & I'm a happy gal :happy:
    Smoothies are yet unexplored grounds - great idea! Will add that to the "to try" list.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    I eat all the things! That's what I do. Then work out more to offset...

same here! I have a girl friend at work that can tell by mood that PMS is coming. I eat, I cry, I yell... it's bad! So I workout to balance the stress/nerves and extra calories :)
  • uniqsol
    When I'm feeling feminine, I eat everything in the house.

Hehehehehe!
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    i eat under all the time anyway so when it is that week i just devore the kitchen of whatever long i to me stay within 1600cal(MFP SET for me) even if it junk or not
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    I've heard a lot of people talking about kale chips! Never had it as a chip, just cooked & have found it to be more difficult to digest than spinach or collards. BUT, things usually taste do different when they're in that crunchy form. I'll have to give those a try! Do you use a dehydrator??

And chocolate anything sounds good to me, lol. Add strawberry (or any berry) & I'm a happy gal :happy:
    Smoothies are yet unexplored grounds - great idea! Will add that to the "to try" list.

it's taken me a few months to get the right planetary alignment for the chips to come out right :laugh:

they cant be wet... use just enough olive oil to coat... dont use too much seasoning or else the chips will be too salty once they shrink... can't have the oven up too high...etc it's a pain but well worth it.

i use the regular leaves, mix with a bit of EVOO, paprika, sea salt and curry, spread out on a baking sheet and stick in an 300 degree oven for about 6 minutes then i keep checking every minute after that to see if they are ready. these quickly go from chips to crumbles.. the good news is, if you do bake them so long they get crumbly, it makes a delicious topping for popcorn or anything else you use dried herbs on
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Nut chips or nut crackers for something crunchy. Orange or fruit for something sweet. Otherwise, lots of water and ignoring my cravings. Does not stop the bloating and crankiness though!!
  • uniqsol

it's taken me a few months to get the right planetary alignment for the chips to come out right :laugh:

they cant be wet... use just enough olive oil to coat... dont use too much seasoning or else the chips will be too salty once they shrink... can't have the oven up too high...etc it's a pain but well worth it.

i use the regular leaves, mix with a bit of EVOO, paprika, sea salt and curry, spread out on a baking sheet and stick in an 300 degree oven for about 6 minutes then i keep checking every minute after that to see if they are ready. these quickly go from chips to crumbles.. the good news is, if you do bake them so long they get crumbly, it makes a delicious topping for popcorn or anything else you use dried herbs on

Thank you for the recipe!! I'm definitely gonna try those (this weekend, lol).
    :flowerforyou:
  • uniqsol
    Everyone has mentioned working out.
    I was hoping for an easier solution, y'all! :grumble:

Haha, JK :wink: :laugh:
  • i eat all the food in the house, feel like crap, cry, watch sad movies, complain that i feel like ****, wake up after my period and feel better and go back to normal. have yet to find balance :-|