Favorite Vacation Place?

Options
My husband and I are in desperate need of a vacation... so as extra motivation to lose my last 5 pounds, we're going to plan one for next summer or Thanksgiving week 2010. We can't decide where to go... we have a good amount of money saved so the possibilities are endless. I always enjoy cruises or somewhere tropical, but maybe it's time to try somewhere new. We've already been to Paris. So what were your favorite vacation destinations or resorts?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    We went to the Grand Palladium in Jamaica Last spring, it was AMAZING! If you like all inclusives, with great restaurants and a gorgeous swim up pool, that's the place to go! And the price wasn't that bad either (although we had a group rate.

here's the link:

http://www.palladiumvacations.com/?gclid=CK_CqsnglJ0CFRBM5Qodkkv88Q
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    LOVE Newport, RI. Vancouver is amazing too and that time of year a visit to Whistler is a must. Or something tropical... we love St. John and the Seychelles.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    LOVE Newport, RI. Vancouver is amazing too and that time of year a visit to Whistler is a must. Or something tropical... we love St. John and the Seychelles.

LOL, newport. Too many bad memories from newport (ok ok, they are good, bad memories). When we were wild 20 somethings, we would rent a house for the summer down there and spend like 9 or 10 weekends just going bonkers. I can't tell you how many nights I went there for the weekend and .... well, maybe I should stop there. :tongue:
  • tinanicole
    Options
    Well, it depends on what you are looking for. Tropical paradise or city? For a nice relaxing vacation I would suggest something in the Caribbean or even on the coast of Florida. Seeing as you like cruises, I am sure that you have already been to Grand Cayman? If not, it is a must see. While there you get to swim with and hold the sting rays.

Two of my favorite locations are Gold Coast, Australia and the Almafi Coast in Italy. Both have breathtaking views and beautiful waters.
  • klybarger
    Options
    I love cruises to anywhere - everything is taken care of for you! You don't need to drive or decide on restaurants - it's awesome. I hear the cruises to Alaska are amazing or I took one to the Virgin Islands that was to die for! Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do.
  • klybarger
    Options
    Always thought the Greek Islands would be fascinating
  • proctor0828
    Options
    My husband and I have been many places.... but the most relaxing and beautiful places we went was Gatlinburg. We stayed in a beautiful cabin in the mountains.... check out patriotgetaways.com
  • jenlwren
    Options
    St. Pete Beach, Clearwater, Sarasota, FL

Some of the top beaches in the country are here...Love it...
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Aruba is nice. Pretty much the same temperature all year round. The island is nice, the people are nice, and many, many choices of good restaurants.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    At that time of year, (November)London is a fabulous bang for your buck.
    I have also been to Costa Rica, which was really nice, and again, your money goes really far!
    And YES for Newport RI -- wonderful fun - but I wouldn't try to make a week of it! Too expensive.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    TUSCANY!!!
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Club Med vacation hands down. All inclusive, including alcohol. Plenty of activities or relaxation, whatever you want. Great food, beautiful beaches (they always have the best beach in any of their locations.) Hospitalitly is bar none. Only been to Cancun but my family has loved all locations!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Puerto Villiarta Mexico!!! we went to a 4 start all inclusive resort right on the beach and did some great things through the resort, I got to ride on a horse through the Sierra Madres and swim in a freakin waterfall!! I DID NOT WANT TO LEAVE. Although I have always wanted to go to Ireland! Talk about a 180 in destination!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Maui!!!!!!!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I love cruises. Roaton, Honduras has been one of my favorite spots for snorkeling and laying on the beach. We have one booked for next June. Our ports are Cozumel, Mexico; Limon, Costa Rica; Colon, Panama. Costa Rica & Panama will be new ports so we are looking forward to both of them.

Closer to home for me my favorite is Mackinac Island. I love going during the Lilac Festival. The Island is beautiful with lilacs in bloom everywhere. It really is like stepping back in time since there are no cars on the Island. Bicycles, horses and lots of walking.

Dream vacation is a cooking vacation in Italy.
  • rabbit45
    Options
    I love cruises. Roaton, Honduras has been one of my favorite spots for snorkeling and laying on the beach. We have one booked for next June. Our ports are Cozumel, Mexico; Limon, Costa Rica; Colon, Panama. Costa Rica & Panama will be new ports so we are looking forward to both of them.

Closer to home for me my favorite is Mackinac Island. I love going during the Lilac Festival. The Island is beautiful with lilacs in bloom everywhere. It really is like stepping back in time since there are no cars on the Island. Bicycles, horses and lots of walking.

Dream vacation is a cooking vacation in Italy.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Can't say I've ever considered RI, but now I'm intrigued :wink: The cruise you're talking about is actually one that is on my list right now - I haven't been to Panama yet. In Costa Rica, you MUST go cave tubing -- best.excursion.ever. www.cave-tubing.com was the best tour if you are brave enough to do tours separate from the tame cruise tours. Not sure if they pick up from Limon, but it's worth looking into. And we went to Mackinac Island for a wedding last summer - way cool. Seems like we have similar taste :smile:
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Fiji. However, if you want something a bit more exotic either Costa Rica or the Galapagos Islands. Been to both LOVE both. One place I have been meaning to go to is Peru and do the backpacking climb to Manchu Pichu. I enjoy getting deep within a country and exploring. I usually loose weight on vacations because we do things like diving, river rafting, cave exploration and so on.
  • yoopergirl
    yoopergirl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hands down, Istanbul, Turkey! Esp. if you enjoy history. Lots to see, tour, shop or relax on the Mediterranean.:happy:
  • AmandaJ12
    AmandaJ12 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Maui and Aruba if you like beaches and beautiful scenery and Victoria British Columbia if you'd like a great little city vactation...and whale watching! but there's ALWAYS New York City!!! one of my favs.