Help.. info inside.

Options
Ok so Im currently 28 weeks pregnant.. and I know my baby is gonna come about 2 wks early at the end of July. I started out my pregnancy at 215 and this pregnancy has been good to me.. no morning sickness but I still lost alot of weight. I was down to 194 before the second trimester began. :) I remained at that weight until about week 26 and my diet got a little worse for the past few weeks.. lots of sodas and lil debbie cakes.. lol horrible I know but I was craving it.. Anyway.. I'm in the home stretch and I think now is the best time to get my diet cleaned up which I'm doing.. Drinking only water, milk, and a little juice.. allowing myself one soda a day if I want it.. lol I haven't even touched one today. :) anyway.. Im a planner.. so I need to go ahead and make a weight loss plan for after I have baby. BUT I plan on breastfeeding and I don't know how to diet to lose weight without losing milk supply. Can anyone help me??

Oh.. at 28 weeks pregnant I'm 202 lbs.. ouch. I'm 5'5" and my first goal for after baby will be 160lbs.. and it's not really gonna be that much cause I'll be somewhere between 170 - 180 after birth. So 10 -20 lbs as a primary goal. Then after that my goal will be 140.. if that's a good weight for my body.. idk I have a big frame. Anyway.. any info or advice will be appreciated.. :) I'm hoping I can get down to 198 or something by the time I deliver.. but if I can't I won't stress it.. but I AM trying to maintain and doc says its ok as long as I eat healthy and take my vitamins. :)

Replies

• MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that after the baby comes and the swelling goes down you could be down as much as 20 lbs or more. Happened to me.

Also, you have okay'd being on a diet while pregnant with your doctor? Right??

Don't know if you have other children but I know that when I'm breastfeeding I feel like I'm starving. So it's very hard to lose weight at that time.
  • stampinmama
    stampinmama Posts: 30
    Options
    I nursed all my babies... and first off let me tell you how happy I am to hear that you plan to breastfeed - don't understand why anyone would plan NOT to. Anyway, you will lose weight while BFing if you are eating properly. It is just ONE of the MANY, MANY benefits of BFing..... So, plan to eat a sensible diet, full of veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean meats, or as in my case vegetarian alternatives to meat, little fat, sugar and salt.... and LOTS and LOTS of water... and you will probably be VERY surprised at how much weight you will lose. Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy!
    :happy:
  • stampinmama
    stampinmama Posts: 30
    Options

Don't know if you have other children but I know that when I'm breastfeeding I feel like I'm starving. So it's very hard to lose weight at that time.

perfect example of how what works for one, doesn't work for all. I was always hungry too while bfing, but I found that I craved healthy foods and could pretty much eat as much as I wanted of HEALTHY foods (I think that is key) and was able to lose the majority of my baby weight without trying. hmmmmm strange.
  • kathyc727
    kathyc727 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Breast feeding helps contract the uterus back into shape, really helps with weight loss. I'm sure there are lactation websites to help you with a healthy diet. The labor & delivery department in the hospital usually has one on staff that will come to speak with you after the baby is born. Good Luck & CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    This is my third child.. I only breastfed my first for a month cause she didn't latch properly and it made me crack and bleed. :/ My second I breastfed 6 months but wasn't concerned about weight at the time even though I shoulda been. This time I plan on going a year at least. :) And yes my doc has given me the ok due to the fact that I'm so much over weight and obesity in my family. She knows I only want to drop 5 lbs while pregnant.. she just told me to eat right and exercise and take my vitamins and drink plenty of water.. and I just had an ultrasound.. lil man is right on target. :)
  • CherokeeTopaz
    Options
    Breast feeding helps contract the uterus back into shape, really helps with weight loss. I'm sure there are lactation websites to help you with a healthy diet. The labor & delivery department in the hospital usually has one on staff that will come to speak with you after the baby is born. Good Luck & CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Thank you!! I have another problem though.. I really don't like many fruits or veggies. I do drink real fruit juice though. I get a few veggies by way of things like pasta, chili, and pizza.. and I eat certain beans.. but that's it. :/ I used to be concerned that my babies weren't getting what they needed from me.. but they do get everything they need thanks to the vitamin. :)
  • Mission2Me
    Mission2Me Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    amazingly enough the first time I ever successfully lost weight was after I had my son lol. I did breastfeed him, that alone will help with weight loss. after that I just counted calories I kept losing that way as well. its like he gave my body a magic boost or something!! but you are already going down the right path with breast feeding. but you may want to do a bit of research on how many calories a woman who is breastfeeding should be eating if they want to lose weight. I was not breast feeding when I started counting calories. good luck!!! and congrats on the new addition!!
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm currently breastfeeding and I decided to just add 300 cals to my daily calorie intake because that's the average that most women burn daily when breastfeeding. Other than that, dont stress if you are hungry and you've already met your calorie goal, when they go through growth spurts, they eat more, which makes you hungrier. Just make sure to have healthy snacks on hand. You will lose the weight :)
  • Ashleysh22
    Ashleysh22 Posts: 209
    Options
    you should absolutely NOT being trying to lose weight before the baby has been born. Have you talked to your ob-gyn about that? The baby needs a lot of nutrients and if you are losing weight, you may be depriving him/her. And if you are breastfeeding - you still have to be careful HOW you diet and how quickly you lose the weight. Don't worry, it can be done. dropping 40 more pounds is TOTALLY doable - just make sure to check in with your doc every step of the way. I am certain you want to protect the health of that baby!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Now my niece lost weight while pregnant but because she was eating so healthy.... all she ate was fruit and veggies. She isn't much of a meat eater anyway except seafood. I would seriously learn to like a few more veggies.

I wasn't a huge veggie eater growing up but thanks to cooking shows, I learned all the different ways to prepare veggies vs how my mother fixed them. It really made a difference. I like almost anything with greek seasonings on them. Some veggies oven roasted are fantastic. Squash and Zucchini on the grill is amazing. Cauliflower mashed potatoes.... with the right seasoning they taste like mashed potatoes. You can always add some extra veggies to your pasta sauce... I love zucchini in tomato based dishes.

It's a trial and error kind of thing but maybe if you just try one new recipe a week. Another thought is to get Jessica Seinfield's book on how to sneak veggies into your kids food. She makes purees and adds them things like mac and cheese, brownies, etc. I'm not a fan of sneaking it because that doesn't encourage kids to try new things but I like the concept for making some dishes healthier by adding veggies to them.

Watch some Rachael Ray.... she has some easy veggie dishes. Just becareful, she is heavy on the olive oil and those calories add up! BTW - thanks to her I like Brussel Sprouts... never thought I would like those. I still don't like asparagus even though I have cooked that a few different ways.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Thank you!! I have another problem though.. I really don't like many fruits or veggies. I do drink real fruit juice though. I get a few veggies by way of things like pasta, chili, and pizza.. and I eat certain beans.. but that's it. :/ I used to be concerned that my babies weren't getting what they needed from me.. but they do get everything they need thanks to the vitamin. :)

If you want to lose the weight and keep it off, you will have to learn to like fruits and veggies. Fruit juice is full of sugars without the fibers and other goodness of the actual fruits. Your body needs the right fuel. Without it, you will feel hungry more often.

As far as losing weight while breastfeeding, maybe start out eating at maintenance and see how it goes. I lost all the weight from breastfeeding and just eating when hungry.
  • CherokeeTopaz
    Options
    Thanks!! You've all been a big help. It's just so hard.. I grew up in a rough home and had vegetables literally shoved down my throat til I vomit so trying veggies isn't easy. I do have certain things I like.. maybe not my favorite foods but I eat them. Corn, carrots, certain beans, peas. I just really don't like anything leafy though I have been known to eat a salad with very little lettuce. Maybe that's what I'll have to do for now.. idk. Squash is outta the question. I LOVE potatoes :) and can even manage to eat yams cut up as fries. Fruits on the other hand.. not so much.. I can eat the occasion apple, orange, and a few bites of banana and watermelon.. but that's it lol I'm afraid to buy very much of this stuff cause I'm afraid it'll be wasted. :/ I don't pass on my bad eating habits to my kids though.. my kids LOVE fruits and most veggies. My son has a major texture issue like me.. he doesn't like as many veggies as his sister. :) If anything they don't eat quite as much meat as I'd want them to.. but they do eat it.. just not much.. Maybe it's cause I'm still not the best cook and meats end up being a bit tough. Idk.. lol