Working out with an Injury

Options
I just need some ideas, normally I run, power walk, or do the elliptical. I have a Morton's Neuroma, and just had cortisone injections today (2 in my left foot). My foot is in a lot of pain now that the lidocaine wore off. Even doing sit ups hurts because it puts pressure on the ball of my foot. It's already been a couple of weeks since my last good workout and I'm getting frustrated and antsy. Any tips of what I CAN do...I don't normally have a very big variety in my workout!

Replies

• 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    Bump
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    What about swimming or cycling on a stationary bike?
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    I didn't even think about a stationary bike, that is a great idea. I don't have a cheap place to swim here, which sucks!
  • rocketass99
    rocketass99 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Can you just do some light weight lifting on machines? Its not a perfect working, but at least you will feel good about being in the gym. And machines are made so you cant really hurt yourself, unless your weights are wrong
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    www.exercise.com
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing, weight work, core work, swimming, water aerobics, chair yoga, stretching, push ups on one foot.

Mostly I would clean up my diet, back off calories if necessary and heal up.
  • CoachDave2012
    CoachDave2012 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    AmyMarie,
    I ran outside on the pavement for the first time in a long time over spring break and developed Planter fasciaitis in my right foot. Finding ways to work out is difficult. I'm able to walk so I go on long walks with my dog through the neighborhoods. If you can't find a place to swim (which I did for the first time today at our community pool) maybe you can develop a calisthentic program that works your core and other extremities but not your bad foot.
    I know that its hard when you are used to working out but you can lose weight with just limiting calories (eating right) Maybe just rest that foot until you get healthy. What is your prognosis?
  • NanaKK1234
    NanaKK1234 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow I am in a similar boat. I found out last week that I have 11 yes 11 bone spurs in my left foot and ankle. Needless to say, I have had to stop my step aerobics and I tread lightly doing Zumba at home. I am also looking for something I can do to stay active while the doctors figure out what to do with my foot. Ugh and to top it off because I am babying my left foot my right foot is now getting sore. I am a phlebotomist at our local hospital so I walk pretty much for 8 straight hours a day.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips.

@ Dave, I go back in a week to see what is going on, if the cortisone is working or not. I will find out from there what is next!

This morning I did some gardening, which was actually a pretty decent workout without putting too much pressure on my foot! I will watch some people at the gym on some machines and see what I think I can do!
  • anilyze
    anilyze Posts: 67
    Options
    Time to crosstrain so you can keep up your aerobic fitness without hurting the foot. I second swim or cycle.