all i am losing is water weight =(

Options
the only thing i am losing here is water weight. i have changed my diet and tried to add more exercise but I seriously have not seen any difference! I lost 2 pounds, then gained it back, then lost, etc. its all water weight, nothing else! I am in a rut. I need serious help, before I just give up and go back to mcdonalds!

Replies

• wiglett
    wiglett Posts: 53
    Options
    KFC. Mc donalds. Dairy queen panera bread. <--- I only looked back a couple of days! Grill a bunchnofnchicken and then make easy salads or low sodium microwave soups. More water. . . That kinda stuff eat cleaner! :)
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary you are eating a lot of processed foods. Though it doesn't show I'd guess your sodium intake is very high. This would cause you to retain water. If you retain water that's usually going to be the first thing you lose too. In my opinion, you may look into eating more natural, unprocessed foods.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of fast food in your diary. Also, I see several days where you eat well under 1000 calories. Try limiting your fast food and incorporating healthier foods into your diet such as fruits, veggies, lean meats, and healthy fats. It will make a difference if you keep your diet more consistent. Also, all that sodium in the junk food will definitely make you retain water. Keep trying and don't give up!
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i really hope thats a joke. i have not had mcdonalds in months and even if i wasnt losing weight i woulding touch it again. because really? it makes you sick. literally. sick and gross until you eat it again. then you feel beter. its like drugs it sucks real bad. please dont quit. its not worth it.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Have you tried measuring yourself? It could be possible to lose inches while not losing a pound. And please whatever happens, do not give up.

Also like what others said & I just saw it myself, you've been eating a lot of fast food stuff & they're usually very high in sodium which caused your body to retain water. As much as possible lessen it out & instead make your own food at home.
  • peachied
    peachied Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    no, no! don't go back to mcdonalds! i know it's tough now, but if you are patient and you stick with the diet and exercise, you will find the results you want. i would weigh in once a week instead of every day. also, make sure to do strength training to build muscle and therefore burn more calories/fat. just keep at it! remember why you started your weightloss journey!
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary the only thing that stands out ALOT is the fact that there is fast food logged every day. You said you need help before you go back to McDonald's.. but honey, it doesn't look like you left. While you may be within your calorie numbers fast food is also chalk full of salt which will make your body hold on to that water.

I also noticed today that you only ate 800 calories and exercised. While we all focus on lowering calories, your body still needs at a minimum 1200 AFTER exercise to function properly.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Heyo!!

I sneaked a lil peek into your diary a few days and see you're eating mostly processed foods and fast foods.

Girl!

Don't you know this stuff wreaks havoc on our insides? I know MFP says a calorie is a calorie, but really I do believe and it has been proven (for myself, anyways) that there ARE such things as good and bad fats, oils and carbs etc. Make sure to give your body plenty of fuel with nutritional value. Fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, raw nuts and seeds, well the list goes on but you get the idea.

Also try to net your BMR calories each day to keep your metabolism revved up.

And uhh... Drink plenty of water. I dunno. That's all the advice I got I'm sure some other more knowledgable folks will be of better service, I'm tired and gonna go to bed.

But good luck!!

Oh and PS McDonalds is an evil corporation!!!

Nite:heart:
  • danapenguin
    danapenguin Posts: 161
    Options
    thanks for the encouragement and thanks for looking at my dairy! I work full time and attend school full time as well. Its hard to find time to cook and stuff. Also eating out is cheaper sometimes =\ I wish I could break out of this habit! I have actually improved. I was eating out all three meals a day! with sodas, teas, french fries, etc. Now I mostly stick with water.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    thanks for the encouragement and thanks for looking at my dairy! I work full time and attend school full time as well. Its hard to find time to cook and stuff. Also eating out is cheaper sometimes =\ I wish I could break out of this habit! I have actually improved. I was eating out all three meals a day! with sodas, teas, french fries, etc. Now I mostly stick with water.

Baby steps are ok. I would encourage you to try and pre-prepare healthier foods when you do get a little spare time. That way you have some healthy, quick stuff around you can grab real fast. Maybe you can try and pack lunches/dinners for work and school? Honestly, the sodium in fast food alone will make your weight fluctuate like crazy. So will eating very little one day, and then eating a lot the next. Try and keep your calories closer to the same amount each day. More importantly stick with it! Being successful isn't about perfection. It's about persistence. :smile:
  • cominupmilhouse
    Options
    Wow! Sounds hectic!!

I have a crazy job for three months out of the year (doing it right now actually!) called treeplanting. I spend (including drive time) 12 hours a day way out in the bush walking around uncharted forests and mountains planting trees all day, needless to say when I get home I am absolutely EXHAUSTED and almost want to sleep the other 12 hours til I gotta work again! I hear ya on the no time for cooking thing. However, seeing as we don't have the fast food option, this is what I do: on the day off along with doing laundry, shopping etc I make a ton of healthy food to get me trough the workweek (which is probably way more than you would have to make, treeplanters have insatiable appetites!) so I know I'm prepared. Also, each morning for breakfast I have a protein shake, and I highly recommend this!! It really fills me up, it's full of nutrients, and it takes all of 5 minutes to make. I throw ice, flavored protein powder (chocolate banana!) low fat/Greek yogurt, and throw in some berries or any fruit I have.

Don't even CONSIDER fast food as an option! Pretend it doesn't exist! I've been doing this routine for only two weeks now and I don't know how much weight I've lost since I don't have a scale, but my clothes are starting to fall off me and become more baggy so it's definitely working!

Hope you can work something like that into your schedule, you should really give it a shot even just for a week, you'll see it's not so bad, you're worth it!
  • danapenguin
    danapenguin Posts: 161
    Options
    Wow! Sounds hectic!!

I have a crazy job for three months out of the year (doing it right now actually!) called treeplanting. I spend (including drive time) 12 hours a day way out in the bush walking around uncharted forests and mountains planting trees all day, needless to say when I get home I am absolutely EXHAUSTED and almost want to sleep the other 12 hours til I gotta work again! I hear ya on the no time for cooking thing. However, seeing as we don't have the fast food option, this is what I do: on the day off along with doing laundry, shopping etc I make a ton of healthy food to get me trough the workweek (which is probably way more than you would have to make, treeplanters have insatiable appetites!) so I know I'm prepared. Also, each morning for breakfast I have a protein shake, and I highly recommend this!! It really fills me up, it's full of nutrients, and it takes all of 5 minutes to make. I throw ice, flavored protein powder (chocolate banana!) low fat/Greek yogurt, and throw in some berries or any fruit I have.

Don't even CONSIDER fast food as an option! Pretend it doesn't exist! I've been doing this routine for only two weeks now and I don't know how much weight I've lost since I don't have a scale, but my clothes are starting to fall off me and become more baggy so it's definitely working!

Hope you can work something like that into your schedule, you should really give it a shot even just for a week, you'll see it's not so bad, you're worth it!

I live in a town where we have over 300 fast food restaurants... which makes everything harder!! =\
    however, i am going to TRY to pretend that they don't exist!
    I think i am going to make a grocery list and on my next pay day I am going to stock up on stuff. how much is the protein powder stuff?? and could i make shakes for later on in the day or week? will the keep that long?!
  • cominupmilhouse
    Options

I live in a town where we have over 300 fast food restaurants... which makes everything harder!! =\
    however, i am going to TRY to pretend that they don't exist!
    I think i am going to make a grocery list and on my next pay day I am going to stock up on stuff. how much is the protein powder stuff?? and could i make shakes for later on in the day or week? will the keep that long?!

Well, at least try to include more healthy foods so that you're less hungry for fast food! Sometimes when I want to eat something bad or something really easy I'll make myself eat a banana or some carrot sticks and a granola bar and then see if I still want that junk food. Usually I at least end up eating less of it, which is still a small victory!

The protein powder is actually pretty cheap! I usually only use half a scoop per shake, since I put other stuff like yogurt in it and it really adds a nice delicious flavor and lasts a long time. There's tons of kinds out there, I did a bit o research on MFP and found out that a lot of strawberry flavored ones are not so good, but depending what you want to put it in you can get chocolate, vanilla, cappuccino, cookies n cream, choc banana, choc peanut butter, the list goes on. There's tons of brands too. The one I got is called Dyna Whey, I got it from the vitamin section of an Extra Foods grocery store (Canada). I hadn't heard of the brand before, but what I read on MFP said to get a kind that uses Whey Protein Isolate and says it contains no fillers. A big 1kg bag was only 30 bucks and I LOVE it! It's so delicious, it's made me really enjoy mornings, I look forward to them now! I've also taken to putting a little in my coffee/tea instead of cream and sugar and prefer it!

As long as you refrigerate the shakes they should keep for a couple of days. Otherwise keep them in a thermos or cooler for later on in the day. Also with the protein powder you can just mix it with milk and/or water, there is no blender needed, so you can take some of the powder along with you.

Really hope this helps!