Early Morning Runners: How do you motivate yourself?

Options
popat89
popat89 Posts: 83 Member
I have thought time and time again that I would wake up early and go on a run.
Now that I live in the southern USA in the desert the coolest time of the day is from 5am-7am.

If you are a morning runner, how do you motivate yourself to get up and go? I need some tips and tricks :)

Replies

• jesterx888
    jesterx888 Posts: 181
    Options
    For me, the hardest part is just getting up. If I can do that, the run is not hard at all. I get up at 4:30, out the door by 5:00, showered and on my way to work by 6:30.....

Sometimes I just have to kick myself and keep telling myself if I dont do this, nothing will change.....Sometimes its the workout tracker that motivates me....If I dont go run, my workout tracker is empty and thats a little depressing....

I love the early morning runs when I am out there by myself before most people are even thinking about getting out of bed. Its a nice mental wake up for me. Once you get into a routine, its not too bad. Good luck! Enjoy the journey!
  • dorseykm
    dorseykm Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    When I first started, my goal was to be up & out the door within 10mins. That way I could start my run before becoming fully conscious where I could talk myself out of it. :)
  • popat89
    popat89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! I usually run at night around 8:30 but in the summer time it's still high 80s and it's hard to wind down after a run and get right to bed. I'm trying to run 7 miles for the first time tomorrow morning. I know it will be so rewarding if I can just get myself out the door - thanks again for the tips :)
  • mrkennethjay
    Options
    Music! Get a tune that will get you pumped.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Tell yourself you can have breakfast when you get back, haha. I walk/jog, I'm not running yet, but that's what gets me up and at em. The promise of food.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to jump this hurdle. I will run in 95-degrees in the afternoon before I'll get out of bed a single minute earlier than is absolutely necessary to make it to work on time. Kudos to you for trying to make this happen.
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    A big mug of coffee (with milk) for me. That way, I can't go back to sleep. LOL!
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I first started, my goal was to be up & out the door within 10mins. That way I could start my run before becoming fully conscious where I could talk myself out of it. :)

^This. It totally works. And early nights, don't try to burn the candle at both ends.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I didn't have time to run this morning, so I ran at 5 p.m. this evening. The heat was enough motivation to make me to want to run in the mornings! Early morning runs are definitely the way to go on hot, summer days.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Phoenix area, so if I don't run early in the hot months, I don't get to run. I don't need to motivate myself - the dogs are happy to be the chief motivators and personal cheering squad from the moment my eyes open. Their enthusiasm for the morning run is quite contagious, lol.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yep. The heat is motivating me too. I have to do my long run at 7am... that's the earliest I go since my husband is a night owl and the earliest I get to bed is midnight most of the time.