Running - what causes a stitch?!

Options
Hi all,

So i went running last night - i got up to 3k and then had a really bad stitch under my right rib. It stopped once i stopped and bent over but im wondering what caused it...

I didn't eat before the run. I had a protein shake (made with whey and water) around 2 hours before that is all. I was trying to focus on doing long steady breaths rather than short sharp breaths but still got it!

I've come on my period (sorry guys!) this morning so not sure if that is related?

thanks! xxx

Replies

• kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    nah, probably stretching yourself. not that you're unfit by any means, but have you run that far before? i find when i enter into a new mile zone, sometimes i can get a stitch.. i rearrange my posture and fight through it. it's totally normal though. no worries :)
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    nah, probably stretching yourself. not that you're unfit by any means, but have you run that far before? i find when i enter into a new mile zone, sometimes i can get a stitch.. i rearrange my posture and fight through it. it's totally normal though. no worries :)

hehe i am unfit!!! and yep i did push myself..normally walk a bit, run a bit etc. but i run most of that 3k and really went for it!!

Thank you you've put my mind at rest!!! well done on your amazing weight loss by the way! xxx
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    well done for pushing yourself! you'll be dominating 5k in no time with that mentality/attitude! i started at 10 minutes, now i am running over a hundred minutes; sometimes. it's fun! all the best.

heh thanks!
    :heart:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    improper breathing while you run or drinking too much liquid before you run, but my bet is probably on the breathing
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It may also be related to your breathing... If you have irregular or hard breathing during your runs it can cause the muscles to spasm. I have to concentrate on keeping a nice steady rythm breathing while I run or I get them too.

In any case they are painful at worst, but not really a problem to your overall health and well being.
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    well done for pushing yourself! you'll be dominating 5k in no time with that mentality/attitude! i started at 10 minutes, now i am running over a hundred minutes; sometimes. it's fun! all the best.

heh thanks!
    :heart:

Aww thank you so much!! I've requested you as a friend (hope you dont mind!). That is amazing with your running - well done!! I am definitely aiming to get better and build up to that! :) xxx
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    improper breathing while you run or drinking too much liquid before you run, but my bet is probably on the breathing

^^Agree

I read a runners world article a few years ago which recommended singing whilst running to break up the rhythm of breath to step but equally I've heard people saying that getting breathing in sync with steps is good also. Either way try to relax and breath naturally when running.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    90% of the time it's breathing....while running, blow out and expand your stomach....and it will usually go away...at least it does for me if I get them
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options

Thank you! yep i need to work on my breathing i think. i am quite unfit too so i'm pushing myself!!!
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    It may also be related to your breathing... If you have irregular or hard breathing during your runs it can cause the muscles to spasm. I have to concentrate on keeping a nice steady rythm breathing while I run or I get them too.

In any case they are painful at worst, but not really a problem to your overall health and well being.

Thank you!! :)
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options

^^Agree

I read a runners world article a few years ago which recommended singing whilst running to break up the rhythm of breath to step but equally I've heard people saying that getting breathing in sync with steps is good also. Either way try to relax and breath naturally when running.

Thank you!! yep i do tense up and get a bit panicky i think. I need to stop thinking about it too much and jsut breathe :)
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    90% of the time it's breathing....while running, blow out and expand your stomach....and it will usually go away...at least it does for me if I get them

Great tip! thank you!! :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the good news is once you figure out the best way to breathe for you while running, your body will automatically start doing it when you change your pace. for the moment you just have to teach yourself how to breathe while bouncing. i did read that exhaling when your right foot hits the ground can cause side stitches.
  • KellyS_86
    KellyS_86 Posts: 25
    Options
    Apparently the only reason you get a stitch (aside from eating or drinking too much before running) is your breathing is too shallow. Take a few deep breaths, hold them for two seconds and release slowly. After three of these my stitch nearly always clears up!
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This was helpful! Thanks!

I run all the time and recently I've been doing 5Ks and getting ridiculously competitive with myself trying to get a PB each week and pushing myself so hard.. now I know this is why I got a stitch on Saturday!
  • Shonty78
    Shonty78 Posts: 1
    Options
    I regularly get the stitch too bt i read on "dr" google that it can be caused by ur organs contracting as ur foot lands. sounds strange aye. anyway i put it to the test in my last half marathon (about 3 wks ago), when my stitch came on I was exhaling as my right foot landed, so i 'switched sides' by exhaling as i landed on my left foot - i had nothing to lose by giving it a go and lo and behold it worked and stitch went away after couple mins and didnt return for rest of race. I cant guarantee that it will work for u but u might like to try it, and maybe check "dr" google again, i cant remember what page it was on.
  • pixiesteph
    pixiesteph Posts: 17
    Options
    Okay basically it is how you breathe, if you take short fast breaths it cramps the diaphram. This explains it perfectly and it helped me to understand it when i researched it a while ago. - http://www.bodyresults.com/e2sidestitches.asp - also you may need to add some salt to your diet. if you are not having salt in your food it could add towards it. too much salt is bad so if you are eating salt then it probably isnt that and it is just the breathing technique.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    In my years of running, the only time I ever get side stitches is when I do not drink enough water in the hours before. This almost always has happened to me when I run after work, because I don't drink anything during the day. Even then its happened rarely. I don't buy the breathing argument because I don't see why I'd breathe differently once every couple weeks after work.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    From what I have researched, the scientific community is a little puzzled as to what causes them. the breathing thing seems to be irrelevent in my case. I never have a breathing issue when I get them. For me it is tied more to hydration or if I eat too close to running.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Yep. This will take care of it.