Holidays!!!!

Options
I get married in 2 weeks time and we will be goign to Italy for 2 weeks on our honeymoon (The land of Pizza and Pasta)

Just want a few opinions on what other people do on holiday, do you continue with your diet where possible, still exercise or just foget it for the whole time?!

I know my body and I know last time I went away to Turkey for 1 week I put on 6 lbs so really worried what two weeks will do to me.

Replies

• Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    It's your HONEYMOON! Relax & enjoy it.

Italian food's quite healthy as long as you don't eat huge portions & drink gallons of wine. Just watch the portions size.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    What it is with all myfitnesspal friends getting married and going to Italy on their honeymoon!? Jayb0ne went 2 weeks ago and now you!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Don't even think about counting calories. Seriously, just relax and enjoy your special time with your wife. That's what matters! :)
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I relax a little but still count. I change my settings to maintenance so that gives me more calories and exercise while I am there. I use my iphone app to keep me on track. This is not hard for me as I like exercise. We have a caravan I take my kettlebells with me and also run every other day. I get up early while the children are still sleeping go out running and then still have the whole day to spend with the family. This gives me extra calories for meals out, icecream, alcohol etc. I dont worry too much either if I go into the red as its only a holiday and I will get back on track. The last time I did this was a 5 day holiday I ate what I wanted and maintained. I was pleased with that. We are going away for 2 weeks in August and i will follow this plan again.
    Equally if you wanted to forget the whole thing that is also OK but for me not an option, this is a way of life for me not a way of losing the weight. I want to keep it off forever.
  • melian04
    melian04 Posts: 2
    Options
    wow! I live in Italy... where are you going exactly? I usually try to eat clean for at least one meal a day when I'm on holiday but if you keep active (like walking a lot) there's no need to say no to regular food. Don't worry, it your honeymoon! just watch the portion size!
  • clareeast
    clareeast Posts: 64
    Options
    I think you should keep healthy eating principles in mind, but not be ruled by them. Keep an eye on portion sizes, and eat plenty of fruit and veg! Otherwise, relax and enjoy - a honeymoon is something most people only do once.

As for the exercise, I'm sure you'll find ways to burn some calories! :wink:
  • acg1305
    acg1305 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I get married in 2 weeks time and we will be goign to Italy for 2 weeks on our honeymoon (The land of Pizza and Pasta)

Just want a few opinions on what other people do on holiday, do you continue with your diet where possible, still exercise or just foget it for the whole time?!

I know my body and I know last time I went away to Turkey for 1 week I put on 6 lbs so really worried what two weeks will do to me.

You should be thinking of this as a life style change more so than a diet, of course you should enjoy your honey moon and congratulations by the way! But if you are changing your life style, not dieting, you will enjoy yourself but pick the healthier options. This should become second nature to you, this is what I'm aiming for . I am going to Madrid in a few weeks, and instead of guzzling litres of wine.. I will be sticking to my vodka and diet cokes, not gorging on bread before dinner, having meat and salad for dinner... little things like that. If you completely let yourself go it will be so hard to go try snap back into your healthy routine. I will not be maintaining my exercise regime but I figure we will be walking all over the city which will no doubt be sufficient exercise while on holidays. Enjoy !
  • NK203
    NK203 Posts: 35
    Options
    I lost 6 lb. when I spent a week in Rome. The portions are a quarter of what is served in restaurants in the U.S., and I walked for miles every day, sight seeing. I cannot imagine you will gain unless you spend a lot of time on tour busses. Congrats on your upcoming wedding, and enjoy your trip!
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    What I put on your wall:

Oh and to actually add something. I eat what I want on holiday, I just go out for a run every morning early on. I like to see new places really early in the morning you get a different perspective on everything. Plus you can make a plan to visit somewhere new on your run every day, sightseeing with fitness baby!
  • birdinho
    birdinho Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!!

Were going to La Mezia in the south, not been before but its my sisters place and she said it is a lovely little place and not touristy at all which i suppose will also help with healthy eating!! No english pubs and restuarants to eat chips at every night.

Il stick my running trainers in and will try and go a few times whilst im there. We do have our own pool aswel so providing the kids sleep longer than normal I can probably get a few laps in at breakfast.

Guess im just a bit worried that iv done really well so far losing weight and weight training hard that 2 weeks out could have a really negative effect but it might help me get some more varieties of cardio in and try new healthy foods.

I will 100% not be calorie counting though, and I have to try the Calzones atleast 3 times!!!
  • melian04
    melian04 Posts: 2
    Options
    Lamezia is so beautiful! don't worry, calzoni aren't that fat, they're made with pizza dough and different stuffings, delicious! have fun!
  • birdinho
    birdinho Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Lamezia is so beautiful! don't worry, calzoni aren't that fat, they're made with pizza dough and different stuffings, delicious! have fun!

Woo hoo cant wait to try them out now!!! Im hoping to find a nice little market so I can stock up on olives etc while im there too