Best way to get cardio in at the gym without treadmill?

Options
I have been going running for quite a while now and my ankle has been getting progressively worse. I have just joined a gym and wondered which machine except for the treadmill is good for getting cardio in? xx

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    elliptical, arch trainer, walking, jogging, stari stepper. Anything that moves your whole body. Swimming would be excellent for a bad ankle.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The rowing machine, if it doesn't aggravate your ankle. You're best staying off weight bearing exercise until that's better.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine. I have appalling knees, shin splints and my chest tends to take on a life of its own when I run. I also find the cross trainer kills my knees whilst the bike it totally hit and miss.

But the rowing machine, with proper technique, leaves you entirely destroyed afterwards, right down to your core. I love it! You'll find out where you're weakest too which is useful :)
  • blondiek91
    blondiek91 Posts: 22
    Options
    Swimmings my favourite!
    I'll give the rowing machine and the arch trainer a go today i think thanks :)
    I was wondering if the bikes would be any good?
    x
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Best thing - try it and see. Start on a low level so there's not too much resistance and see how the ankle holds up. And if it hurts, stop.
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Spinning classes also. Vigerous stationery biking to great music. At least at our gym. We have a bunch of
    ladies who have been doing this for years. We sing out loud to the music. We are a crazy bunch.
  • MRBARWICKRHODES
    Options
    also anything areobic... star jumps.... anything that keeps your heart rate up.. skipping etc
  • blondiek91
    blondiek91 Posts: 22
    Options
    Ahh yes spinning! Was going to give that a go this week but was fully booked :( Gonna try and go next week! I'm a little scared thooo I've heard its really hard haha!
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt the elliptical/cross-trainer is the only other cardio machine that burns cals like the treadmill does as it requires your whole body to push. Set the resistance up and youll find you will be able to go up the better you get at it.

Also, because you are not jumping, the swingng motion protects your feet ankles and shins which is great fi you are prone to those injuries or are overweight.

Sometimes as well if my knee is bad i go on the step climber for 20 mins and sweat buckets.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine, swimming and bike in that order.
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings!