Pre race prep

Options
slay0r
slay0r Posts: 669 Member
Hey Guys,

I've got a 10k on sunday that I put an extremely ambitious time down for considering I don't really run very often. I do cycle 20 miles a day so my cardio is up there though.

I'm not sure when I should stop training? It's thursday today should I train tonight when I have a race on sunday? What should I do between now and sunday to prepare myself?

Do I need to do anything differently the day before nutrition wise and sleep wise?

On race day what do you all reccommend? My start time is 9am an hour away so I'll be up early but I'll need to eat etc!

Replies

• jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you need to train I would so a 5k tonight and then give your legs a couple of days rest.

I am no expert but from past experience I have had up to 5 days rest before a race and done really well on the day!

Make sure you get a good amount of carbs tomorrow and Saturday and I wouldn't eat too much before the race, a bowl of porridge is what I normally have.

Good luck
  • slay0r
    Options
    Yeah that's why I was considering missing tonight, I'm doing 30-50 mins of walking a day anyway and I can feel my legs a bit today from all the running/walking I've been doing. I'm not used to it and I've got flat feet so it does hurt my legs a bit. Need to go and be properly measured I just didn't have time to get it sorted (honestly thought I'd be injured for this race, didn't think I'd recover in time.)

I'll make sure I get lots of carbs then, that's what I'd read elsewhere about prerace nutrition. Wholewheat pasta/rice then?
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If your legs are a bit sore give tonight a miss then!

Yeah I would just make sure you have some pasta/rice in your evening meal.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have a 25km on Sunday and I have now stopped doing any training till the event
  • slay0r
    Options
    I'll take your advice and do that then. To be fair I ran a race on saturday it was only a fun run but it was a couple of miles and I felt really fresh. I hadn't done anything for 3/4 days then so maybe I do need the rest. (went drinking thursday and friday then did the run :D)
  • lightnda
    lightnda Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Any training you do now will not be of benefit to the actual race.

If this is a key race for you I would suggest that the most you need to do between now and then is just to turn your legs over. Just a 15 to 30 min run to keep your legs fresh.

If it is not a key race for you then I would continue with your normal training and treat the weekend race like a hard training run.

As for eating, you can easily run a good 10k without additional carb-loading, but a nice pasta or rice based dinner and a spot of porridge or slice of toast in the morning wouldn't go amiss.

Good luck for the race, I hope you achieve the goals you have set yourself.

Dave.
  • slay0r
    Options
    It's my first 10k on it's own. It's a little bit of a benchmark for future fitness as well for me, I've done a couple of triathlons and my 10k times were about 51 mins after doing the swim/cycle sections so I think I can go a lot faster if it's just running, then again it's on the road :/

Thanks for the tips. I'll do a light run with plenty of stretching tonight then just to keep them active.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    This is all great, bumping for my 1st biathlon next month :)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I am training for a half marathon on June 2nd. The week of my race-I have 3 short runs (3 miles) one walking day and 2 days of rest just before the race.