Depressive Eating

Options
Hi - So, I'm clinically depressed. I tend to eat when unhappy. I usually rationalize with "Well, I deserve it." or "If my fiance is going to smoke, I'm just going to overeat." I"m better than I used to be - I used to be prone to ordering a pizza and eating half almost as soon as it came to the door, and I'd order 2 different sandwiches at a fast food restaurant because I couldn't decide chicken or burger. Plus fries. Upsized.

so I'm not *there* anymore, which is a pretty big accomplishment. Now I'm trying to defeat the end-of-day "whatever" eating pattern. I do great all day, get home from work, then give up. over the past few days I've consumed hundreds and hundreds of calories at night when I'm not hungry.

Anyone facing the same problems?

Replies

• s_jane
    s_jane Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have depression too. I would eat until it hurt. See a doctor! If you can find the right meds it can make a huge differnence. I started a new antidepressant (I'm taking bupropion) a month and a half ago, and I haven't had any desire to binge. I lost 10 lbs in a month without trying. I have tons of energy, sleep great (if I exercise), and can actually wake up early. I tried a different one before and it was horrible. You've got to stick it out until you find the right one. If you don't want to take meds see a counselor. There was no way I could have stopped it on my own.
  • Bunnybadwife
    Bunnybadwife Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Clinically depressed here, too. I also have severe anxiety and Borderline Personality Disorder. I'm on 3 different medications and though I am better than I was, I still have the same problem you do. It gets to a certain time of night and I either try and justify it, or I just don't care anymore. So meds didn't fix it. In actual fact, some of the meds I am on both made me put on weight and increased my appetite to a ridiculous degree. I assume you are already seeing a doc if you have a diagnosis, so you probably know that already, if you are medicated. Really, the only answer is self-discipline. You also have to realise that the pleasure/need fulfillment you get from overeating at night is not worth disappointing yourself over. It's really hard, but you just have to learn to control yourself. And every day you succeed makes the next day easier. That's what I've found, anyway.
  • DarinGettingHawtin2013
    DarinGettingHawtin2013 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been on different medications over the past 10 years. I have a stable regimen now which works for me, but it doesn't prevent the occasional lapse. I definitely can relate to "I just don't care anymore".

The learning and executing self-control is probably the hardest part of this whole lifestyle change journey. I can get myself to exercise (thanks to the meds)... but saying "no" when I'm not hungry? It's a battle. Sometimes winning, sometimes losing.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I feel a bit better than this morning.