Stop lying to yourself

Options
Sepa
Sepa Posts: 243 Member
So I am the first person to admit that I am lying to myself and I am now changing this.

Yesterday I got home from work and I was starving. I knew the OH wasn't back from work for another 30-40 mins and that my dinner took that long to cook. So what I should have done was wait them 40 minutes out. I didn't I started to eat whatever I could eat. Sandwiches, crisps and chocolate. I didn't add it to my diary either. Why didn't I add it to my food diary. Because if I lied to myself about how much I had eaten I thought I could get away with it. The problem is with this is your body knows you have consumed these extra (in my case over 1000) calories.

Today I have gone back and added these calories. If I don't add them I don't learn and I forget in a few days about my lie and I leve myself open to do it again. I don't like red numbers In my diary. Especially on a non exercise day.

Today I have decided that all calories that enter my body will be logged in my diary. This way I become accountable for my food and I learn by my mistakes.

Now I know I can't be the only one who does this. But hopefully together we can stop it!

Hope your all making the right food choices today :)

Replies

• Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    if you bite it you write it.

good on you eh?
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options

good on you eh?

This!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    The problem is with this is your body knows you have consumed these extra (in my case over 1000) calories.

GOOD FOR YOU for realizing this. :) Do you know how hard it is for people to come to that realization? The food diary is only there for our brain, but our bodies keep a much more accurate tally of calories in and calories out. So good for you for recognizing that fact, and making the choice to be honest with yourself.
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    if I have a bad day and didn't pay attention to what I eat I log 1 000 000 calories. Just to be sure I don't under estimate. It helps me track my cheat days
  • gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    No you are not the only person who does this. I try to think of things that I need to do as soon as I get home so that I don't binge. I then walk through the door with a plan in my head that will be something like, feed the cats, get changed, prepare the dinner, while it cooks put the washing away, do the ironing, clean the bathroom, etc etc. Simple things but if you formulate a plan and write it down then you are less likely to end up in the kitchen eating without thinking. It's a hard one to break though.
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    No you are not the only person who does this. I try to think of things that I need to do as soon as I get home so that I don't binge. I then walk through the door with a plan in my head that will be something like, feed the cats, get changed, prepare the dinner, while it cooks put the washing away, do the ironing, clean the bathroom, etc etc. Simple things but if you formulate a plan and write it down then you are less likely to end up in the kitchen eating without thinking. It's a hard one to break though.

This is great advice, I tend to come home and want to "relax" and get involved with a great episode of Law and Order SVU and really feel hungry....But with a plan....I will less likely feel this hunger until dinner time! Thanks!
  • Sepa
    Options

This will be my new motto!
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    That was my yesterday too. Thanks for sharing. I am back on track today. No more lying - Who is kidding who anyway????:huh: :noway:
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I personally don't do this, I am extremely strict on myself.

However, I do commend you for doing it and then adding it today!! :) I guess if we're honest in this way, it's stops us binging as it doesn't look good when we log it :)

Well done you :flowerforyou:
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This is my problem!! I just cannot wait for my dinner to cook.. and by the time its ready I'm not hungry cause I just binge :'(

Must think of things to do while its cooking.. e.g. exercise! lol
  • Sepa
    Options
    This is great advice, I tend to come home and want to "relax" and get involved with a great episode of Law and Order SVU and really feel hungry....But with a plan....I will less likely feel this hunger until dinner time! Thanks!
    [/quote]

I like relaxing and doing nothing nothing when I get in also!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

Also? Get a big glass of water. I find that a majority of the time I think I'm hungry it's just "mouth hungry" and not stomach hungry. And drinking a big glass of water usually convinces my body of that.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    This is my problem!! I just cannot wait for my dinner to cook.. and by the time its ready I'm not hungry cause I just binge :'(

Must think of things to do while its cooking.. e.g. exercise! lol

See my advice above about water.

If you need flavor, flavored seltzer water has no calories and will work. :)
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

Also? Get a big glass of water. I find that a majority of the time I think I'm hungry it's just "mouth hungry" and not stomach hungry. And drinking a big glass of water usually convinces my body of that.

Another thing that helps is that if you absolutely are really hungry, eat some protein. A hard-boiled egg or two, a can of tuna, etc. A lot of times in the evenings I need something to eat because I'm tired, but if I have some protein instead of a carby snack, it's much more satisfying, so I don't have to eat as much.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's pretty silly to think that if it isn't in the diary it didn't happen LOL. Your waistline knows it did.

I have found the diary to be an education and was shocked at how many calories are in the things I used to eat all the time. No point in trying to lie to yourself about it.

Keep some healthy snacks in the fridge for when you get home from work. You can munch on carrot sticks while waiting for your dinner.
  • vancil01
    vancil01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    When I snack on ice cream, I only jot down the serving size....I eat more than the serving size of ice cream...can't help myself....I am a horrible person...
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You are so brave to admit this. I have to fight hard to put it into my food diary when I'm being bad. I feel so weak.Then I log it and realize that I can accept it the way it is or exercise the extra calories off. Sometimes it isn't as bad as I think and 15 minutes of exercise broken up through the evening will burn it off.

The numbers really jump when I eat out. On Mother's Day weekend they were so high that I had no way of burning them off. I ate healthy but the portions were just huge. It's a good reminder to myself to cook whenever possible.
  • breakthecycle
    breakthecycle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I did that for YEARS!! I now put it in no matter what! My worse time is after work until supper is finished. I too want to just relax get the remote and find a good program to watch. I have found that changing YEARS of negative behavior is pretty damn hard but the results are so worth it!! You are moving in the positive direction just acknowledging the fact you were lying!! Have a wonderful day! I like the if you bite it write it!!:happy:
  • claire7090
    claire7090 Posts: 67
    Options
    I have always been able to be disciplined to record everything that I eat but it does not stop the temptation. On days I get tempted to eat more than I should I put everything I would LIKE to eat into my food diary (before I eat it), then when the numbers go red I can rationally decide whether I want to eat it or not. Then if I have decided I do not want to 'go red' I delete the items I have not consumed. The delay makes me think and stops the impulse eating.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP for starting this thread, I'm not alone after all!!

There was a TV programme here in the UK last night called 'Secret Eaters' - it featured this man and woman who wanted to lose weight, and were keeping a food diary, but secret cameras revealed that they were eating WAY more calories than they thought. The woman estimated that she was eating 1300 cals a day but was actually eating, on average, over 3000!! A little snack here, a biscuit with your tea, taking a bit of food from someone else's plate, that burger you 'forgot' you ate on the way home from the pub...where you had 5 pints of beer not the 2 you logged...it all adds up! I cringed as I watched it as I recognise this behaviour in myself sometimes too!

The psychologist on the show advised making small changes to break habits that lead to secret eating - work out when and why you secretly snack, and then change that behaviour. They did an experiment where they asked half the people at a cinema to eat popcorn as they would normally, and the other half to eat the popcorn with their non-dominant hand. The people eating with their non-dominant hand ate way less popcorn after 20 minutes than those who ate normally!! For me, I have this weird habit where I will always buy something to eat (usually something not very healthy!) when I fill up my car at the petrol station, so now I've started using the 'pay at pump' facility instead. Isn't it weird how we KNOW that snacking is bad for us, but somehow we kind of justify it to ourselves that it's OK 'just this once' or that somehow the calories don't count?!