A very specific running shoe question...

Options
...and so if no one knows the answer, I won't be upset :)

I am looking for a new pair of tennis shoes. I have incredibly high arches and about one year and three months ago I had bilateral Achilles tendon lengthening. I have been wearing the same pair of (admittedly cheap) tennis shoes since I began to walk again, and they never gave me a problem for walking and elliptical use. Now I'm trying out the couch-to-5k program slowly, but I'm starting to notice a pain in the top-outside of my left foot when I run. It could be that I don't run "properly", but I reall think it is my shoes. Does anyone know of a type of running shoe that might be good for me? There are quite a few, and it can get confusing at the store...

Replies

• robinskv
    robinskv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had a similar surgery this past November where the facia was cut along my muscle, lengthening my tendon so I wasn't so tight. Even with all the stretches, I still have pain in my heel area as I did before. For me, it seems that no matter the shoe, I have pain and I just work through it. Some days are good and others are bad, depending on my activities.

Go to a professional running store and get fitted. Bring your old shoes so they can see how you wear them and they will watch you walk and run to get the right fit. I think that is really the best you can do. Good Luck!
  • sophy28
    sophy28 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'd go to a proper running shoe shop and get your feet tested, they will know what you need!
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Okay, so it sounds like you have under-pronation (you push off mainly from the small toes on the outside of the foot). So, you will probably want to pick out a pair of shoes designed to help you roll your foot inward, or at least have more support on the outer part of your shoes. An excellent shoe finder is the Runner's World online shoe advisor. http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor.
    Hopefully this helps! Take your time, don't be afraid to try on many different shoes, and also don't shy away from prices that will get you what you want. It is important that your feet are treated well! :)
  • Montegue42
    Montegue42 Posts: 98
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah, before surgery I had intense pain in knees, lower back, shins....well, just everywhere from my shoulders down. Now its only this very sharp, localized pain in just that one spot, so I'm not complaining ;) It just concerns me; I don't want to be wearing the wrong shoes because my doctor said I may need a calf lengthening in the future if I'm not careful.
  • Montegue42
    Montegue42 Posts: 98
    Options
    Wow, that's exactly how I used to walk. I probably have a bit lingering. Thanks!