Somewhat my NSV... really, my dog's NSV

Options
radosti1
radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
So, I have been taking my dogs for fast/long walks every evening. I have a 13 year old Italian Greyhound, a 10 year old roly poly Shiba Inu, and a new member of the family is a 2 year old Lab/SharPei mix. We've had the lab mix for a month now. It took me a week of walking with her and coming home with a swollen shoulder to figure out she needed a Gentle Leader. Once I got that, it was night and day. Then, I added the IG to our walks. He is 13, but being a Sighthound, he can run circles around me any day. The Shiba Inu was a major abuse case and she lives with us on her own terms. I show her the collar/leash and if she turns tail and runs in the other direction, I don't force it. She's got a half acre fenced in, so can do what she wants.

Anyway, the last week, she's been asking to go for walks with me by sitting in front of the door while I get the other dogs ready and letting me put her collar on. However, she had a speed limit. 4MPH and no faster than that. It's still fast for her as she's not fat, but is on the plump side and 10 years old and out of shape. However, if I tried to get her to move faster, she'd just sit down and there was no budging her unless I wanted to pick her up and carry her.

The night before last was overcast when we went for a walk. A quarter of the way out (3 mile walk), it started drizzling, half of the way through, it POURED. Ginger, who hates getting wet and was now soaked, decided to scrap her speed limit and run with me. The other dogs obviously kept up. Last night, I was expecting her to reinstate her speed limit. But she agreed to run at intervals. We'd walk 4MPH, then jog for a while until she started lagging, then walk to let her recover, and then jog again. I was very impressed with her last night. She was tired when we got home and thirsty. She was very funny though and when I walked past the front door to the trashcan to throw poop out, she sat down and refused to walk away from the door. She was DONE WALKING.

Replies

• CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    That is too cute! Good for you with the way you let her make the decisions... she obviously really wants to be a part of the "fit" family! My Charlie is the same way about just stopping when he's done. Two years ago I took him on a 5k and we only walked 2 of the miles - and we stopped for a 1/2 hour after the first quarter mile... but nope... 1/4 mile from the car he just stopped and decided to lay down. I had to wait with him until he was ready to get to the car to go home!
  • ajelove
    ajelove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! Cute. Thanks for sharing
  • janvcooper
    janvcooper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This is one of the nicest posts I've seen on MFP. I sure enjoyed hearing about your pooches and I love your attitude. Good luck with your weight loss--:flowerforyou:
  • radosti1
    radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks! She's actually starting to look less roly poly and more in shape.
    399030_3657411028171_1061485862_3272775_470953335_n.jpg
  • lizzielou67
    lizzielou67 Posts: 35
    Options
    What a great, enjoyable story.

I'm glad she wants to join the "healthy" lifestyle with you!! Good for you and for her.
  • luvdogz
    luvdogz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Cute story and way to go on your progress! Gotta love a good dog story!

<
    Is a dog lover obviously, lol!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!